Official 2010 World Cup Qualifying Thread

alldaws1

I agree the US will be looking to carry the title of being the top team in CONCACAF, empty title or not, and they would most likely have to win against CR to stay ahead of Mexico. I also think that Honduras would represent our confederation better because they have have had a pretty good WCQ cycle this time around.

In some what related WCQ news, Charlie Davies the American striker who recently has been looking pretty good was involved in a car crash in which one of the passengers of the car he was in died. From what I heard he is currently in surgery and it is still up in the air on how bad he was injured, although it has been mentioned his injuries are not life threatening. Scary stuff either way and it is pretty disappointing after doing well in the Confederations Cup and becoming basically a first choice striker for us.

It's lame how the Euro play-offs are seeded, meaning that Portugal, France and Russia will all likely qualify and Bosnia, Slovakia/Slovenia and Ireland will probably miss out. We must root for Uruguay and Ecuador tonight, if they both win, Argentina go home, and that would be awesome.

Sad to hear what happened to Charlie Davies too, real shame he might miss the World Cup too but at least he's still alive, really sad to hear about that female passenger who died.

I heard about his injuries on CNN it sounded bad, broken bones in his elbow,face and arm and a lacerated bladder!.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery, he's a talented player

I am still holding out on hope that Argentina fails to qualify for the World Cup but it seems most of the big teams that were going to miss out are going to sneak in by the gay seeded play-ofs.

Anyone knows what time (CET or GMT) Uruquay - Argentina will start, should be fun to catch that live!

Edit: Nevermind, it starts at midnight CET and a Dutch sportschannel is broadcasting live, huray!

Edited by Animal

So Sweden, Poland, Turkey, Czech Republic all miss out. We can still hold out hope for another of the big guns going out, but I doubt it. Ukraine I think would be the best opponent for Portugal, and I really hope Ireland qualify as they've not lost a game yet. Bosnia getting in would be awesome too.

Uruguay vs Argentina about to kick-off, it'd be GLORIOUS if both Uruguay and Ecuador won tonight, cos even if Argentina are forced into the play-off, I can't see them losing over two legs to either Honduras or Costa Rica.

Chile have scored :( As things stand Argentina are through, but even if they lose they'll make the play-offs and there's no way they're gonna lose to Honduras or Costa Rica.

EDIT: Argentina have qualified then, Uruguay take 5th spot. Ah well. Now come on Honduras!

Edited by AdamDRFC

I pretty much expected to see Ireland get France.

Republic of Ireland v France

Portugal v Bosnia-Hercegovina

Greece v Ukraine

Russia v Slovenia

Ah fuck. Bad luck Ireland. This seeding thing's a load of bollocks, they were seeded going into the groups to give the best teams the best chance, if they can't win the group because they're shit then that's their fault. They all finished second place in their groups of teams from the same seeding groups, so why should anyone get beneficial treatment in the playoffs? It's ridiculous. I understand they want the best teams to represent Europe and UEFA in the competition, but they already have the best 9 there in theory as group winners. And especially since FIFA seem to be making it up as they go along, sort of like "and that's the group stage finished. Oh by the way, we're seeding the playoffs. Don't like it? Tough shit, we're in charge."

I wouldn't have such a problem with the seeding for the draw if it always was set to be like that. Shitty and all, but at least everyone knew what the rule would be. This, this is just making sure France and Ronaldo go to the party.

Greece v Ukraine

Russia v Slovenia

Ugh, that's a terrible pair of matches for a World Cup position.

I think Ireland could do France. They really step up against the big teams. In fact I fancy them more against France than if they'd have played Greece or Russia.

Still, if Ireland DO win it I'm sure Blatter will come onto the pitch to declare a new "top seeded teams get an extra home game in the tie" rule.

Squad numbers are getting stupid now.

Watching the Australia (dire) vs Oman (Direr - if thats even a word) a few nights ago, Vidosic was playing for Australia with 101 as a squad number. o_O

Squad numbers are getting stupid now.

Watching the Australia (dire) vs Oman (Direr - if thats even a word) a few nights ago, Vidosic was playing for Australia with 101 as a squad number. o_O

Hey, this is the Official 2010 World Cup Qualifying Thread, not the Official 2011 AFC Asian Cup Qualifying Thread :@

I'd love nothing more than to see Edin Dzeko put Bosnia into the finals of the World Cup, sadly through the skin of their teeth we're going to see Portugal and Argentina when we were so close to seeing neither. Gutted for Slovenia as well, they have to go through Russia which will be no easy task.

There was a nice balance, we had the 9 qualifiers - out and out the best to go through. They're strong enough to represent Europe, so if they just made it non-seeded and we maybe got France vs. Portugal and then Greece vs. Bosnia & Herzegovina then maybe that would be a good thing. We have the 9 best, surely seeing a Slovenia and Bosnia & Herzegovina make the finals of the World Cup isn't going to embarass anyone. I want to see the best countries on show but at the same time not have it so repeated.

The World Cup is a great event, but it isn't the showcase of the best players in the world. That's the Champions League, so personally I wouldn't be against seeing Slovenia slip into the World Cup at Portugal's expense.

Greece v Ukraine

Russia v Slovenia

Ugh, that's a terrible pair of matches for a World Cup position.

I think Ireland could do France. They really step up against the big teams. In fact I fancy them more against France than if they'd have played Greece or Russia.

Still, if Ireland DO win it I'm sure Blatter will come onto the pitch to declare a new "top seeded teams get an extra home game in the tie" rule.

Nah, he'll just deduct four goals from Ireland for 'Not knowing their place'