Official 2010 World Cup Qualifying Thread

alldaws1

Same with England beating Germany during a successful period but yet losing to Macedonia too and even the defeat by Croatia that England had the lead in twice IIRC that led to them not making Euro 2008 tends to get brushed aside as "oh, Steve McClaren was manager then.".

At no stage did England lead in that game.

We didn't lose to Macedonia either.

Good point though.

Same with England beating Germany during a successful period but yet losing to Macedonia too and even the defeat by Croatia that England had the lead in twice IIRC that led to them not making Euro 2008 tends to get brushed aside as "oh, Steve McClaren was manager then.".

At no stage did England lead in that game.

We didn't lose to Macedonia either.

Good point though.

I apologise, upon checking I think I'm getting confused with England fighting back from 2-0 down to be drawing and therefore qualifying for the tournament only to throw it away.

And it was a draw at home with Macedonia in 2002, not a loss, so close again there. :P

Either way, they seem to be going great now so I wouldn't expect the same hiccups for a while.

And Scotland have given it a good shot (and should've scored) but in the end nobody can expect us to beat the Netherlands when we can't even beat Norway at home and lose to Macedonia away. It was all hope and clutching at straws. Heck, Netherlands are one of the best teams in the world right now after all.

So the upshot is we can only hope George Burley gets the boot and Gordon Strachan actually wants the damn job. Got a feeling he wouldn't touch it though.

Unlucky for Scotland, I like to see the home nations do well so was disappointed when the Holland goal went in.

I know this result will have the media saying we've got the World Cup in the bag which is annoying, but I think it's fair to say that Capello is the man to get the most out of the England team. Whether that's enough to win the WC remains to be seen (I suspect not), but it's good to know that we are capable of performing to somewhere near our best.

Italy are beating Bulgaria 2-0, which basically ends our chances of winning the group, but on the other hand makes 2nd spot and a play-off spot almost guaranteed. I'm just so glad we're actually still in it and may have to pinch myself if we qualify, only done so once in my lifetime, than I can actually remember. I think I may kill myself if we get 2nd and get nothing though.

I'm going to the Italy game on October 10th at Croker, only missed the Georgia game thus far. This is a huge game still, I really think we have a chance.

Edited by The Cool One

Rubbish. I'm not particularly enamored with the idea of starting Heskey at the World Cup (although I can certainly see why we probably will), but Defoe isn't the answer; not by a long way.

edit: ahaha, the interviewer on ITV asking Capello if we'd seen "English qualities" tonight, then citing pressing as an example. As if pressing is an English trait.

Edited by therockbox

For those who missed it, Argentina lost again and have now slipped to the play-off spot in the South American qualifying. They only have a 1 point lead on Uruguay and Venezuela and only 2 points on Colombia. There are two games to go. Argentina have the worst side in the group (Peru) at home - then Uruguay away on the last day.

EDIT: But don't write off the Peru game - Argentina could only draw 1-1 in the first meeting.

Are we out for definite then?

Looks like I'll be supporting France for the sixth tournament in a row. :(

Yes you're out because Norway beat Macedonia and finished second. Why support France though? Can't stand them.

I wonder. :shifty: