Official 2010 World Cup Qualifying Thread

alldaws1

Nah, Guus Hiddink left a while back. God knows where he's been though...
Funny you should mention that.... He went to Australia and then Russia and then onto Chelsea and then back to Russia.

I know that, he's been at Australia .. and some other teams. :shifty:

They had Dick Advocaat too after that...

And now he's not anymore? :P

EDIT: He never actually left Russia, so he couldn't have gone back. :shifty:

Edited by Eddie 'AW' G

They had Dick Advocaat too after that...

Dammit, I had a feeling there was another one.

Then again it's quite well known he's at Zenit as well, so yeah.. my point still sorta stands. <_<

Back to this 'have a preliminary round thing', I don't think that'd really be any good-you'd have a load of pointless matches, because lets face it, even the teams that ge tthrough this first round would not wualify for the World Cup in the second qualifying round, plus all the minnows team will never even have the CHANCE to play the big nations. Do you know how big a deal it is when a team like Andorra get to play England, Spain, Italy and the like? Yes, they get thrashed every time, but at least it's by world stars. If they did this, they'd just get thrashed by Iceland, Macedonia and Cyprus instead, and never even get to play against any good teams. It's a rubbish idea.

Oh, and I would LOVE it if Portugal miss out on the World Cup. Not only would it mean they can't knock England out like they always seem to (3 of the last 4 tournaments isn't it!?) but also because that absolute twat Ronaldo would have to sit at home all summer :w00t:

Who is this Dzeko guy? He's top scorer in the competition and is apparently the second highest scorer in the German league. Is he a player worth watching out for in the future? Also, his wikipedia page says that his current club is 'Arseanl FC' haha.

Edited by Dynamite

Oh and I'd say there's about 8 really shit countries.

Malta

Moldova

Luxembourg

San Marino

Armenia

Andorra

Faroe Islands

Georgia

On top of that you could easily argue cases for:

Azerbaijan

Liechtenstein

Estonia

Kazakhstan

Montenegro

Cyprus

Macedonia

Maybe put those 15 in 3 groups and have the winners of each group qualify for the qualifiers.

And teams won't take a holier than thou attitude, either because there are still plenty of "midcard" teams who could move up and take their spots if they started getting cocky and to be honest - teams are more likely to get cocky when they're thrashing Faroe Islands 8-0.

Cyprus beat Spain a few years back in a qualifier, Azerbaijan (whilst not great) do gets points here and there against the 'middling' teams, Kazakhstan would be okay if they had half decent stamina, Montenegro are a new nation with some great players and just need to get their footing, and Macedonia are generally better than those you just listed.

The others I could maybe see an argument for, though.

Wales didn't exactly trash Azerbeijan either. And Wales aren't that shitty.

It was practically a Wales B/youth side that they fielded, though.