Official 2010 World Cup Qualifying Thread

alldaws1

There is only one Scotland's Number One:

164525.jpg

As our fans inexplicably chant, 5 years too late...'Scotland's #1, Scotland's Scotland's #1'.

The same man who once let David Beckham score against him from 55 yards, and the same man who passed to David Bell to let him score from 50 yards only two weeks ago!

A fair reflection of Scotland's national repertoire if you ask me :P

• 4 weeks later...

DFF's question interested me. For the record, though, CAF only have six this year on account of hosting. If I had to tinker, here's what I'd go with.

CONCACAF (North and Central America) - 3 Qualify

CONMEBOL (South America) - 5 qualify

AFC (Asia) - 5 qualify

UEFA (Europe) - 14 qualify

CAF (Africa) - 4 qualify

OFC (Oceania) - 1 qualifies

That reduces CONCACAF's representation by one. Honestly, the only reason four have a chance is to ensure that in a lean year - the US is still present for their sponsorship dollars and viewing figures.

COMBEBOL pick up an extra spot since a side like the 2006 Uruguay side should never have missed out on a World Cup. A fifth ranked South American side definitely brings more to the table than an extra African or North American side.

AFC gain an extra spot. Bias aside, Asia is a huge growth market for football. The majority of earth's population is here, and if North America can get special treatment on account of the need to lure in US dollars, I think it's smart business to do the same for Japan, China, and India's clout.

UEFA gain an extra spot. Europe really is where the best teams reside, outside of a few South American exceptions.

CAF lose a spot. Africa doesn't have the growth potential of Asia on a sponsorship or viewership level.

OFC gain a spot. I have no selfish reason for this, I just think a World Cup should have representation from every confederation - even if it does mean the likes of Vanuatu, Fiji, or New Zealand getting a few thumpings. They'll never improve or develop any love for the game if they're never present at its showpiece.

• 1 month later...

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying Predictions

Albania v Portugal, Gp 1, 19:45

Azerbaijan v Wales, Gp 4, 16:00

Belarus v Andorra, Gp 6, 17:00

Bulgaria v Rep of Ireland, Gp 8, 18:30

Croatia v Ukraine, Gp 6, 19:15

Cyprus v Montenegro, Gp 8, 18:30

Finland v Liechtenstein, Gp 4, 17:00

FYR Macedonia v Norway, Gp 9, 16:45

Iceland v Netherlands, Gp 9, 19:45

Kazakhstan v England, Gp 6, 16:00

Lithuania v Romania, Gp 7, 19:00

Serbia v Austria, Gp 7, 19:30

Slovakia v San Marino, Gp 3, 16:30

Sweden v Denmark, Gp 1, 19:00

=======

I soooo hope Portugal do not qualify. Looking forward to tonight :)

So England are through if they beat Andorra yeah?

No, pretty much as good as, but no. I think 23 points is the required amount.

I'm getting sick of all these shit countries in the qualifiers, Slovakia, Slo-fucking-vakia put 7 past San Marino today. Any team that gets 7 put past them by Slovakia doesn't deserve to be playing in World Cup Qualifiers. Teams like Andorra, San Marino, Faroe Islands and Kazakhstan shoud have preliminary qualifying groups and the "best" couple of them should get through, not only might they win a game or two and it perhaps lead to an improvement in their confidence/quality but we won't have to waste time playing them every 3 months.

And I'm not talking about sides like Belarus here, I'm talking about the teams who are so shit it's unbearable.

So.. you want a qualifying tournament.. for a qualifying tournament?

And also, if Holland win today they qualify.

Pretty much yeah. It's only like the FA cup, for example, you don't have Manchester United and Liverpool starting at the same time as Osset Town.

Have it (H)

Had to listen to the match on the radio.. and .. Jack Van Gelder on radio.. NO GOOD. Fuck me, horrendous commentary.

Iceland losing and Norway and Macedonia drawing with each other is perfect.

Beat Macedonia at home, beat Norway away and then do the usual "beat the big teams" against Holland at Hampden.

We can still make the Playoffs :w00t:

Then lose in them of course but it'd be nice.

Yes, but the FA Cup isn't a tournament to qualify for another one.

I'm pretty sure Africans run a similar system, Nigeria don't face Guinea Bissau in the qualifying. Who benefits from Andorra getting slaughtered by Macedonia? Make the handful or really shit countries qualify separately, they might actually benefit from competitive football rather than getting slaughtered every other month.

I'm pretty sure Africans run a similar system, Nigeria don't face Guinea Bissau in the qualifying. Who benefits from Andorra getting slaughtered by Macedonia? Make the handful or really shit countries qualify separately, they might actually benefit from competitive football rather than getting slaughtered every other month.

They can't do that! San Marino might actually win their first ever game that way <_<

They can't do that! San Marino might actually win their first ever game that way <_<

I'm pretty sure San Marino beat Latvia the other year didn't they?

They have prelimanary qualifiers, where the really really shit teams play to get to the first qualfying round, then they have a bunch of rounds of that, just like the world cup qualifiers has groups, but knockout instead of groups.

It makes perfect sense and would stop half of the bullshit we have to put up with, playing teams that are going to the pitch in hope of only losing 3-0 and not 8-0.