Official 2010 World Cup Qualifying Thread

alldaws1

The way I see it is that there was never going to be a replay, and there probably didn't deserve to be one. Unlike the technical error/wrong interpretation of the rules that occurred in the Uzbek/Bahrain match, this was a case of foul play, but foul play like which occurs fairly regularly.

However, whether there should be a replay or not for me isn't really the issue. What I hope is that the incident is used going forward to correct aspects of the game, and bring forth the use of video evidence.

And whether Ireland had enough chances to beat France or not is irrelevant, Henry still cheated and should probably be suspended and/or fined for his part in this whole thing.

Roy Keane should concentrate on fucking up Ipswich and his own job, than lambasting Ireland for their attempts. :rolleyes:

| mean - don't buy shit players, is the sort of stuff you learn at the academy, to become a manager, isn't it?

Edited by ONO

Keane was pretty right on what he said though to be fair. All concentration has gone on turning Henry into a pariah because he handled the ball, and the referee and his linesman missed it - yeah they did. It's pretty crappy that they did but doesn't eliminate the fact that Ireland could've won that game regardless and had ample opportunity to do so. Nor does it change that Ireland could've qualified for the World Cup automatically if it wasn't for defensive lapses such as that which led to the Henry incident taking place.

The match was never going to be replayed, I think the FAI were just trying their luck with that and the Irish government have gotten in on it too (I'd say mostly to boost their popularity), but there was no chance and frankly the sooner Ireland moves on the better. Yes it sucks that the goal came how it did but on the other hand (no pun intended) Ireland could've avoided being in that situation had they as a team taken some chances that they had missed and defended more resolutely throughout the qualifying campaign. That's something to deal with, that's something to focus on because the fact Henry handled it and Gallas scored isn't going to help Ireland qualify for the Euros.

• Like 4

Nice to see MON doesn't beat around the bush like some people and calls it what it was - a blatant handball, cheating.

:P

Who hasn't said it was a blatant handball? Hasn't the issue been more what should happen now, rather than whether there was a problem in the first place?

Yes Henry cheated but why does every Irishman seem to believe that Ireland would have gone through if Henry hadn't handled it? They're making it out like Ireland were robbed. Sorry but no. Ireland (and France) had over 200 minutes to win the match but couldn't. Henry cheated, Henry has admitted he handballed it and Henry has admitted Ireland should be going to the World Cup. No Henry should not have owned up to it during the game because that is fucking stupid. Footballers do not do that and will never do that. Of course they probably should but who was the last player to have done something like that?

While we're on the subject of cheating and "owning up" has anyone mentioned Ireland vs. Georgia? Handball by Robbie Keane, mysteriously bizarre penalty but strangely, where was all the outrage for that? Did the entirety of world football vilify Keane for his sneaky handball? No they didn't. Henry's was more blatant, but Keane's was a handball.

Blame FIFA for their ridiculous decision to change the qualification rulings at the last second and their favouritism of one of the big teams.

Yes Henry cheated but why does every Irishman seem to believe that Ireland would have gone through if Henry hadn't handled it? They're making it out like Ireland were robbed. Sorry but no. Ireland (and France) had over 200 minutes to win the match but couldn't. Henry cheated, Henry has admitted he handballed it and Henry has admitted Ireland should be going to the World Cup. No Henry should not have owned up to it during the game because that is fucking stupid. Footballers do not do that and will never do that. Of course they probably should but who was the last player to have done something like that?

While we're on the subject of cheating and "owning up" has anyone mentioned Ireland vs. Georgia? Handball by Robbie Keane, mysteriously bizarre penalty but strangely, where was all the outrage for that? Did the entirety of world football vilify Keane for his sneaky handball? No they didn't. Henry's was more blatant, but Keane's was a handball.

Blame FIFA for their ridiculous decision to change the qualification rulings at the last second and their favouritism of one of the big teams.

Once again, another assumption that is wrong. Every Irishman believes Ireland would have went through? Get a grip mate.

200 minutes or not, it should not have been decided by that incident. If they scored after it and put us out fair enough. Put us out on penalties then once again fair enough. I don't think you'll find anyone that would disagree with that.

What to own up to the referee? Keane himself when he was given a penalty.

Handball's fucking happen, nobody is denying that or expecting the world to lose their minds because of it. The fact is the majority aren't blatantly done like Henry's. That is the difference.

Edited by ONO
  • Like 2

Paulo Di Canio would have said he handballed it, then red carded himself and left the pitch.

Bring back Di Canio :(

Yeah, the first thing I thought of when I read TMM's post was Di Canio catching the ball in the penalty area when Paul Gerrard went down injured. Now that was a class act!

When I say blatant I mean he did it on purpose. I have seen people say it was a "natural reaction", which is a crock of shit.

Oh it was a natural reaction alright. He saw his world cup chances going away as the ball sailed towards the line, and he saw a teammate in perfect position for a goal, so he stuck his hand out to save the ball.

• Like 1

The only absurdity from a lot of you I will talk about, is the idea of video referees. How do people expect FIFA bring them into the game, and work them?

So the players can call for the video referee if they contest something. Are they then to stand around for 5 minutes while the video referee reviews the footage and makes a decision? Do we then add another 5 minute onto injury time?

Given soccer players, I guarantee if they brought something ridiculous like that into the game, we would be looking at 2 hour long games on the short, as every decision is going to be going to a video referee.

• Like 1

You could run it like the NFL, where each team has 3 challenges per half, but in soccer, maybe just have 3 per game annd allow the manager to decide whether to challenge or not. I doubt it'll take 5 minutes per decision, it would take, no more that a minute or 2. It can be implemented.

As they've just said on Soccer Saturday, the 4th official actually has something to do. He has a monitor to watch. It can be the match being viewed live for all it's worth, just watching exactly what the viewing public see.

In the time Henry did what he did, to celebrating, to the Irish kicking off again. The 4th official could have seen his monitor and said to the referee, "no, he handballed it, it's not a goal." We all knew that within seconds of the goal happening. It could be implemented without slowing the game down much, easily.