Official 2010 World Cup Qualifying Thread

alldaws1

It's not often that I find myself agreeing with the babbling idiots on Soccer Saturday, but they were right about video replays. By the time Ireland kicked off every man and his dog knew Henry had cheated, except the one person that was in a position to do anything about it. I don't know why Lukie's asking about players "standing around for five minutes", how long do you think it takes these days to show a replay to an official sat on the sidelines somewhere? Hook him up to the mikes the officials already use and you'd have a decision within 20 seconds tops.

From BBCSport

Thierry Henry thought about quitting international football following his handball in last week's World Cup play-off win over the Republic of Ireland.

The striker found himself at the centre of a huge fall-out after the incident, which helped France beat Ireland and book a place in South Africa.

And when asked if he had considered retiring amid the controversy, he told French newspaper L'Equipe: "Oh yes.

"Friday, when it all went too far, I was very worked up."

The Football Association of Ireland wrote to Fifa to ask that the match be replayed on the back of the incident, which saw Henry blatantly handle the ball before setting up William Gallas for the goal which secured a 1-1 draw and a 2-1 aggregate victory.

That request was rejected despite Henry released a statement saying a replay would be the "fairest solution".

The FAI admitted defeat over the weekend when the French Football Federation backed Fifa by stating that a replay would not be a viable option.

Henry admitted, however, that the "cheat" storm prompted him to seriously consider his future in the game - and not for the first time.

Commentary of the moment Henry broke Irish hearts

"After the 2006 World Cup, I thought about it, but it was too early," he said. "After Euro 2008, too, but it wasn't the right moment. There was a generation that needed me.

"Despite everything that has just happened and the fact that I felt let down, I will not let my country down."

The 32-year-old, who has scored a French record 51 goals from 117 internationals, criticised the FFF for their lack of support.

"The day after the match, and the day after that, I felt alone, really alone," he said. "It was only after I issued my statement that the people from the French Federation got in touch."

Of course when he realised he had a world cup to play in he decided he best not <_<

What a cunt. After screwing an enitre country by blatantly cheating, he actually tries to get sympathy for doing it. He can go fuck himself in my eyes, he'll never get any sympathy from me or my country again.

Edited by The Cool One
  • Like 3

What a cunt. After screwing an enitre country by blatantly cheating, he actually tries to get sympathy for doing it. He can go fuck himself in my eyes, he'll never get any sympathy from me or my country again.

Speak for yourself, I'm pretty much over it by now :shifty:

That request was rejected despite Henry released a statement saying a replay would be the "fairest solution".

Didn't he say this after FIFA had ruled out a replay?

Yeah, about 4 hours after FIFA released their statement.

Edited by ONO

Ireland have asked for an extra place in the World Cup

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8386207.stm

There's bowing down and being gracious, and there's this.

They've gone from being a team that were cheated in the eyes of the world to a team of moany twats... in the space of a week or so.

Heard about this earlier, and that Costa Rica are apparently in the same boat because of an "offside goal" that went against them.

This is the most retarded thing I've heard in ages. Supposing Rep. Ireland and Costa Rica are given two extra spots, what about teams who have undoubtedly been on the receiving end of bad refereeing decisions during qualifying that changed the course of their campaign?

There would be an uproar if they were re-instated, which is why it shouldn't and won't happen.

If anyone's being a twat, its France for saying they wouldn't allow a rematch even though everyone and their brother knows how they won was illegal. I don't know who France will play next, but I hope they get crushed.

Question: If FIFA had ruled in favor of a rematch but France refused, could FIFA have just stripped France of the win for being assholes, or would their hands have been tied? I don't follow the sport enough to know how that would work.

France would have played, they wouldn't have refused had FIFA had said the match was to be replayed there is too much at stake. France would have been threatened with a ban which would have meant they would not play in the Euro qualifiers and depending on the length they wouldn't have played in the next World Cup, and their club teams would have been banned from continental club competitions as well... they would hav ebasically had to comply.

In the end the Irish should simmer down and just get on with planning for the Euro qualifications, some times you have to each shit and like it in competitve sports and this is exactly what happened and they can't change the ref's decision now. England couldn't do anything in 1986 just like Ireland can't in 2009, we still bitch and moan about it, but at least we get on with it (sometimes badly <_<), sorry guys, you were wronged/robbed/whatever, just get on with it. To be fair if they had played better throughout the group campaign and qualified through the automatic route we wouldn't be having this problem. So its the players and the coaches fault for leaving it to a single decision that has ruined them.

:lol: I have to laugh. Yeah, fuck it, Ireland aren't going to South Africa.

However, if this happened to England we'd never hear the end of it. The story about Ronaldo getting Rooney sent off was the talk of the papers and British news channels for over a week. :lol:

The main story on ITV news was whether or not Ronaldo would even show up for training following the incident. Unbelievable.

Edited by ONO

:lol: I have to laugh. Yeah, fuck it, Ireland aren't going to South Africa.

However, if this happened to England we'd never hear the end of it. The story about Ronaldo getting Rooney sent off was the talk of the papers and British news channels for over a week. :lol:

The main story on ITV news was whether or not Ronaldo would even show up for training following the incident. Unbelievable.

It has happened to England. We will forever bitch about those cheating Argie bastards :angry: But it doesn't mean we were demanding an automatic draw in to the next World Cup and/or a replay. We have just put up with it and companined for the past 23 and a half years, much like the Irish should