Football Manager 2009

King Ellis

So, does anyone know much about this Football Manager Live? I'd heard a little a few months ago, but the release completely passed me by, I had no idea it was already out.

Played the beta, unless you're totally fucking obsessed by every nuance of FM and can commit 6 hours a day to the game alone, it's not at all worth it.

Great game, but it'll only appeal to the truly obsessive FM fans.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh this is just silly. Two late goals in injury time PAST the allotted time have cost me now. First against Blackburn in the league, Santa Cruz scores in the 5th minute of a 3 minute injury time to make the score 2-1, and just now against Villa in the FA Cup, I'm up 2-1 away from home until the 5th minute of a 3 minute injury time (again), BRAD FRIEDEL, who had come up for the corner scores from THIRTY YARDS out after a clearance. This game really hates me, I swear.

Edit: Add to this Everton scoring in the 89th minute to beat me at 1-0 at Goodison Park and I'm starting to wonder why I bother <_<

Edited by Zaz

My game as Luton Town is going amazingly. I am at the end of February in the first season and all the teams that had points deductions are doing pretty well. Rotherham are 17th, I am 15th, and Bournemouth are 7th (in the playoffs). The league is pretty tight and I am only 8 points away from Bournemouth, but I have three games in hand. This is because, despite getting knocked out of the League Cup in the first round, I have got to the JPT Final and managed to get to the FA Cup fourth round, where I was beaten 4-1 by Wigan. I think if my team can continue to play well, then I could push for a playoff spot come the end of the season.

This is what I did in the transfer market (despite starting with a budget of £0):

OUT:

SUMMER:

Sam Parkin (£375k to Crewe)

Keith Keane (£350k to Doncaster)

Riccardo Biggi (released)

Scott Sinclair (released)

JANUARY:

Wayne Andrews (released)

Kevin Watson (released)

Garreth O'Connor (released)

Edward Asafu-Adjaye (released)

Nathaniel Taylor (released)

IN:

SUMMER:

Anthony Basso (GK - £0 from Hearts)

Juho Makela (ST - £0 from Hearts)

Junior (WB/ML - £12k from Sao Paulo)

Robbie Fowler (ST - £0 from Blackburn)

Henri Lansbury (AMRC - Season loan from Arsenal)

JANUARY:

Joseph Ndo (AMRC - £0 from St. Pat's Athletic)

Vladimir But (MC - Free Transfer)

Miguel Rebosio (SW/DRC - Free Transfer)

Mustafa Hadji (AMRC - £0 from Bournemouth)

Ryan Stevenson (MRLC - £16k from Ayr)

Gavin Swankie (AMRL - £65k from St Johnstone)

I cancelled Conrad Logan's loan before the season started, and cancelled Michael Spillane's loan in January when I signed the 5 midfielders that came in then. My two problems now are that my wage spending is about 9k a week over budget, and fixture congestion is making my players really tired. I think I have about three months of playing at least twice a week.

I think in the summer i will need another striker, and possibly another defender, and a new backup goalkeeper. Basso was sent off in a game for handling outside the area and in the next game I put in Dean Brill, only to realise I don't have a keeper in my reserve squad and had to stick my U18's keeper on the bench.

I'm going to copy TheArsenal by giving an update on my Leicester City game.

First season was very good but very frustrating at times. I finished 2nd only six points behind winners Leeds and six points above the third placed team but the most annoying thing was that I had 14 draws and at least four of those were 0-0 that I should've won. I probably should've won League One, but oh well I got promoted so I don't care. Oh and I won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, but my board aren't that impressed because apparently don't think it's an important trophy. Ungrateful bastards.

So bring on the Championship. In my first and best signing I managed to wrap up was relegated Wigan's Ryan Taylor on a free transfer. That's right; free. The guy is quality on this game because he can play pretty much everywhere ('cept up front).

Summer signings

Ryan Taylor (DLR/MLR - £0 from Wigan)

Richard Eckersely (DLR - £0 from Man Utd)

Gabrielle Paonessa (AMC - £0 from Bologna)

Amaury Bischoff (DMRC - £0 from Arsenal)

Kyle Bartley (DC - loan from Arsenal)

Jay DeMerit (DC - £0 from Watford)

Dean Windass (AMC/ST - £0 from Hull)

Ron-Robert Zieler (GK - loan from Man Utd)

Ched Evans (ST - loan from Man City)

Shola Ameobi (ST - £325k loan from Newcastle)

Jonny Howson (MC - £1.8m from Leeds)

I can't say enough about DeMerit and Evans, they have been fantastic. Evans has six goals in five games and DeMerit alongside Tunchev at centre-back my backline is a brickwall. Ameobi has only managed one sub and one start and has one goal, so I think he'll do well and I have the option to buy for £1.2m which if the guy gets me goals is a real bargain.

After four games in the Championship I sit top with four wins, twelve goals scored and three conceeded and am in the Carling Cup Third Round. And my aim was mid-table, pfft.

So I end up getting sacked as Q.P.R. manager, something to do with not getting into the playoff places (despite being a point or so off AND THERE WAS STILL FOUR MATCHES LEFT IN THE SEASON TO GET THEM). But probably more to do with getting thrashed by Derby 5-0 at home :(

So fast forward a few months and I get a job offer from Hull, they're bottom of the Premier League but have £17m for transfers (but I'd have to wait until the January transfer window) Blow most of it on D'Alessandro and I'm now 12th with a few games left of the season.

I'm just really pissed at the Q.P.R thing, I bought tons of players for the future and now I can't touch them (their prices have skyrocketed) But hey I can't wait to sign Lee Bowyer (or the equivelent) and kick them out of the Premier League.

EDIT: Meh on the plus side at least I've been given a £11m transfer budget (which won't go into one player this time) and have signed Danny Welback and Frazer Campbell from Man United on frees, now to steal most of Arsenal's youth team >_>

Edited by The General

Why does my keeper constantly lump the ball up field even though I've told him to roll it to my left back and my left back is always in enough space? Cunt. So many teams have scored goals through moves starting with a massive header from their CB.

For FM Live don't bother heres the prices:

3 months: £22.99

6 months: £43.99

1 year: £72.99

What's the point in spending 73 quid on 1 game for a years play?!! Just extortion in a sense greedy greedy SI

My Assistant always goes in my game

"Gomes has been misplacing passes"

I'm like well i don't care where he kicks the ball as long as it's away from the goal and he saves shots...Who gives a flying fudge if he kicks the ball to the opposition. Only time i'd care is if he passed it to one of the defenders from the goalkick and instead passed it straight to a defend but that doesn't happen.

Silly assistant manager

Here's an update for October:

Beat Motherwell 2-0 (4-0 on Agg, Got Dortmund, Salzburg, Rapid and IFK Goteborg so pretty much the former German empire and Sweden)

Drew with Man.U 1-1 (Veloso scored screamer of a freekick which only got 3rd for Goal of the Month ?!!!!?!?!?!)

Beat Stoke 2-0

Beat Fulham 1-0

Drew with Pompey 0-0

(1st November match drew 1-1 with Boro)

Table: (after 11 games)

1st: Arsenal 31pts

2nd: Man.Utd 25pts

3rd: Me (Spurs) 22pts

4th: Chelsea 21pts

5th: Newcastle 21pts

6th: Liverpool 21pts

Disappointing thing was near the end of the month i started to miss Corluka & Modric who got injured start of the month so was lacking some players and with Dos Santos and Bentley being still injured didn't help. Got Bentley back now but Lennons been playing pretty darn well. Selling Pavlychenko for £20mil because well i don't need him now so with that money i'm looking to invest in either a left back as back up for Bale who got young player of the month, Backup left midfielder and maybe a back up striker as well what with Bent being a pile of shite

Edited by davidmarrio

Why does my keeper constantly lump the ball up field even though I've told him to roll it to my left back and my left back is always in enough space? Cunt. So many teams have scored goals through moves starting with a massive header from their CB.

Is his passing set to direct?

Is his passing set to direct?

No. Short. Mentality's defensive as well. And creative freedom is low.

Cos the game is retarded in that sense. It always does it for me too, because I ALWAYS get told my keeper is misplacing too many passes. I also get told there's too much space between my midfield and my defence... even when I played two DMs.

Could be worse. Livepool have got a habit of passing to Reina who'll boot the ball into the opponents box for Torres to get to the end of it for an easy goal.

I lost 7-0 as Hull thanks to four of these >_<

There is almost no way to defend this either, as most defenders naturally push up anyway knowing that the opponents goalkeeper isn't an attacking move

Cos the game is retarded in that sense. It always does it for me too, because I ALWAYS get told my keeper is misplacing too many passes. I also get told there's too much space between my midfield and my defence... even when I played two DMs.

The mentality probably has something to do with it. If your CBs/DMs mentality are on 'Defensive' but two wingers/attacking mids etc are on 'Attacking' then there'll always be a gap.

Could be worse. Livepool have got a habit of passing to Reina who'll boot the ball into the opponents box for Torres to get to the end of it for an easy goal.

I lost 7-0 as Hull thanks to four of these >_<

There is almost no way to defend this either, as most defenders naturally push up anyway knowing that the opponents goalkeeper isn't an attacking move

Best way to stop Torres I've found is

Tight Marking - Always

Closing Down - Never

Tackling - Easy

Show Onto Weaker Foot

Edited by therockbox

I tend not to show strikers onto their weaker foot, just because I reckon that could lead to them dribbling around my centre back >_>

Wingers I always do though, if they have it as 'Right Only' or 'Left Only'.

Need some tips on fixing my leaky defence at Leeds. I'm 3rd in the league after 11 games, but i've only kept 2 clean sheets in those 11 games, conceding 15 goals. Surprised i'm only 4 points off the top with conceding so often!

My defenders are as follows: Frazer Richardson (DR,captain) Alan Sheehan (D/WB L), Lubomir Michalik (DC), Rui Marquez (DC), Mikel San Jose (DC, on loan from Liverpool, awesome name), Paul Huntington (DC), Bradley Johnson (D/WB/M L), Ben Parker (D/AM L, never started a game).

The first four on that list make up my back four (with Marquez and San Jose rotated every few games). What is the best four to pick from that lot? Are there any tactics that would tighten up the back line? The only specific tactics i use on my back line is that the 2 DC's are set to Man Mark instead of Zonal. I currently play a bog-standard 4-4-2. Cant see myself buying another defender with the £15k i have left after buying Robbie Fowler (who sucks!!). I also wanna get a back-up RB for if/when Richardson cant play, any loan suggestions?

Edited by SilentBob2004

Guest Endless
For FM Live don't bother heres the prices:

3 months: £22.99

6 months: £43.99

1 year: £72.99

Thought as much. ^_^

That is beyond ridiculous, not even WoW is that pricey!

This year it is if you factor in having to buy the new expansion. It is a pretty high sum for an MMO, though. So it better have top notch servers and constant patching and whatnot.

Or they'll just put out three or four patches for it a year and be done with it.

Also I'm wondering how they will handle "end game", when all the real players have retired. I'm hoping that you'll be able to start a vote in your game world which allows everyone to vote on a restart. With that it archives the previous' games history and starts anew. Then again this is Sports Interactive I am talking abo with things.ut and they have gotten a bit cocky