Football Manager 2009

King Ellis

Decided to start a game as Histon to try and get back into the game as i've been on a CM 01/02 kick lately.

Just finished the first season as Champions :D , albeit luckily after my usual December/January collapse where I either draw all the time or play the worst football ever and lose.

On to League Two though but I'll need to heavily invest in new players as I doubt the team I have can stay up.

If I stay at Histon that is, if a bigger team offer I may ditch them and try somewhere else.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a quick question. For some reason the icons on my tactic screen are not coming up. I can see the arrows, but there are no players. Please help me.

Have you downloaded a dodgy skin perhaps?

I'm using the default skin, I tried using a different skin, but the icons didn't show up either. I restarted my computer, maybe that's going to do something. I'm gonna try the FM08 skin after the game loads, hopefully it'll work. Does anyone know if I have to go into the XML files or whatever? and if I do, could you tell me what do? I don't want to and mess it up even more. Thanks

JEROME ROTHEN SHOULD NOT BE SCORING HAT TRICKS AGAINST CHELSEA. :@

Then again, Michael Ballack shouldn't be scoring four against anyone. But I'm thankful he did.

Oh and as for your problem Ando, I really don't have a clue in that case. Sorry about that.

JEROME ROTHEN SHOULD NOT BE SCORING HAT TRICKS AGAINST CHELSEA. :@

Then again, Michael Ballack shouldn't be scoring four against anyone. But I'm thankful he did.

Oh and as for your problem Ando, I really don't have a clue in that case. Sorry about that.

It's cool, I changed to the FM08 skin and the icons are there, the only problem is that I like to play with the right-sided skins. I'll get over it though.

Had a bizarrely brilliant January 2011 transfer window just there.

Through offers to clubs, I sold some players I never really used.

Ashley Young went to Valencia for £20 million - a £9 million profit.

John Obi Mikel - Valencia £12 milliom

Pavel Pogrebnyak - Real Betis £15 million. I bought him for £6.25 million

Ben Foster - Hoffenheim £3 million. I bought him for £1 million

Ben Sahar - Hull £5 million

David Beckham - Hull for free. Greatly eases the wage bill.

Michael Owen - Liverpool. Only £1.5 million but again good for the wage bill.

Then I heard some news that Robinho was unhappy at Man City and wanted to move to a bigger club. I offered £12 million (his value) which was accepted by Mark Hughes due to my friendship with him. Managed to beat off competition from Barcelona to sign him.

Bought this guy Blaise Matuldi from Villarreal for £8 million. He's basically John Obi Mikel but a bit better. So basically I kept the same player but better and made a £4 million profit for it.

The most bizarre transfer here. Vedran Corluka was unhappy at Tottenham and refused to accept any new contract offer. His contract ran out in the summer, but nobody knew/cared so he actually hung around at Tottenham until January until I found out by chance when looking for a good right back. As soon as I offered for him Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid decided they'd bid for him too. Luckily he chose to go to me.

I was quite happy with my team by this point. Unfortunately my first choice left winger Yury Zhirkov, who had previously been almost ever-present for the previous two and a half seasons picked up a serious injury that ruled him out for the rest of the season. Having sold Ashley Young I had no readymade replacement so I took the fair amount of money I had to the transfer market. I came across a young lad by the name of Lionel Messi who looked pretty decent. He had a minimum fee release clause for £35 million which, while rather a lot, was well worth it for him. And with that, Lionel Messi became my final signing of the transfer window.

Not counting the usual influx of promising youngsters of course.

My team is now something like this:

First XI

Petr Cech

Ashley Cole

Ricardo Carvalho

John Terry

Vedran Corluka

Lionel Messi

Michael Essien

Frank Lampard

Darijo Srna

Mario Balotelli

Sergio Aguero

Second XI

Federico Agliardi

Joe Mattock

Stefan Radu

Iván Córdoba

José Bosingwa

Yury Zhirkov

Ignacio Camacho

Michael Ballack

Joe Cole

Didier Drogba

Robinho

Others

Jack Cork

Martin Cáceres

Gabriel Heinze

Blaise Matuldi

Nicolas Anelka

This might be the best team I've had on a game ever since the glory days of CM 01/02.

I was also offered the job at Real Madrid which was tempting. However, right now I feel I have a better team at Chelsea, and a lot still to be done with them and no amount of virtual money can change my mind.

Edited by metalman

Why do I have a habit of deleting the wrong save file >_<

I had a file named "Manchester City" and one named "Man City" ... I deleted my newest save by accident, and was left with my one from when I first started the game.

Oh well, started another unemployed game with lowest reputation and got the job as Romania manager, so let's see where I can take them. ^_^

...this is interesting, I've just bought someone you may have heard of. He's French, he comes from Senegal, he's rather good, some say that he has no concept of corner flags and that in his native dialect, "footballer" translates to "one who is a fugitive for fondling testicles". All I know is Patrice Evra now plays for Charlton.

looooooooooool

Edited by VladBemir Kozlov

I have so many strikers injured at the moment. At one point it was so bad that my starting lineup for the Champions League quarter-final featured a 17 year old player making his senior debut. So got knocked out the Champions League quarter-final by Arsenal. Three days later got knocked out FA Cup semi-final by Arsenal.

I'm one point behind Man Utd so I'm still in a shout for the league but my team are playing terribly right now. I'm going to take a brief hiatus from this game and start a journeyman game. I will load every league. Regardless of how long it takes. Fun fun fun.

Edited by metalman

So I played Arsenal twice in a row, first in the league with my first team at home, lost 3-4. Then again three days later in the FA Cup 6th Round replay where I've been using a second string team due to having a lot of Champions League games right around my FA Cup games. Was at the Emirates and I won 4-3. Crazy.

My second string team then went to beat WBA in the semi, so I'll use them again in the final as I'm a lot more confident using them over my first team >_>

Will be my third FA Cup final in a row, first two against Everton I think where I lost each by a goal, this time against Liverpool.

I think I've hit a new low in terms of FM playing, after being increasingly pissed at how my team could blow away 10 points in the last five games (pretty much knocking us out of contention for Europe... whilst before I was 2nd!) I just resigned.

I'd managed to leave the club in much better shape than it was before (no debt, some money, increasing league position) and if the players didn't want to follow my bid for Europe, so help them.

Raul Sanchez = Legend in League 2.

I signed him for Wycombe in the January transfer window and he has scored 9 in 9. We're making a strong push for 2nd place and automatic promotion, but even if we have to play in the play-offs I think I have the strongest side out of all right now. I also signed Miguel Rebosio and he's forming an excellent partnership with Leon Johnson.

I've just reinstalled FM08 and tried to load up any of my old saved games (which I hadn't deleted), but they bring up a message saying "The save game could not be loaded".

Any idea why that would be?