WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

JoeMimic

WWE Legends of WrestleMania Announced

Another THQ wrestling game? Whaaaaa?!

by Greg Miller

May 6, 2008 - During an afternoon investor conference call to report its 2008 fiscal earnings, THQ announced that it is working on a brand-new wrestling property for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

It's called WWE Legends of WrestleMania, it'll star former Superstars, and it's in addition to the WWE SmackDown vs. RAW franchise. Details are still a bit hazy at this point in time, but a THQ press release says the game will arrive in March 2009 to coincide with WrestleMania 25, in Houston, Texas.

"We have generated significant year-over-year growth in key global territories with WWE-licensed videogames, including tremendous success with the WWE SmackDown vs. RAW franchise," said Peter Matiss, vice president, global brand management, THQ. "The development capabilities afforded by next generation hardware, combined with our established history and deep understanding of fighting videogames, allow us to leverage the strength of the WWE brand to further extend our leadership in the fighting videogame genre and bring this new property to market."

We'll have more for you whenever it's formally announced.

Stolen from IGN. This could be freaking great. Could be what Legends Of Wrestling was supposed to be.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It better have old school steel cages. That is all.

Didn't they have them in one of the newer SVRs? I echo that statement regardless. These legend deals the E has signed over the past few years could really show up here. I'm looking forward to the almost guaranteed mode where you go back in time and have to relive certain moments from Wrestlemania. Such as Hulk Hogan and Andre @ WM3, Hogan/Warrior and all the other crazy moments they could pull from. I fear too that we'll see far too many current roster members and it'll just be a way to boost profits for THQ inbetween the SVR series.

I hope they use old school WWF commentary Gorilla and Heenan or Gorilla/Jessie. I'm sure it's possible with technology and whatnot.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to play at mini-mod here, but is there any chance of a discussion that goes beyond OH I HOPE MY FAVOURITE WRESTLER IS IN THIS GAME?

Personally, I'd like to know exactly how this game will be presented. Will it just play like a skinned SmackDown game, or will it have a whole new engine? I've heard it would have a bit more of an "arcade" feel to it, which is a bit of a warning siren to me, as "arcade" to me means flashier, more style over substance, when a Legends wrestling game should be slowed down, more strategic, it should accurately reflect a more old-school style of wrestling.

Whilst I think an old school feel IS neccessary. I just can't see them doing it unless they can get it so the gameplay isn't taking a hit. People will still want to do top rope moves and I think that is fine if they let them do elbow drops from ladders. All I hope is that those who want to play it realistically can do so and aren't stoppd by the game engine and the AI.

• 1 month later...