RESULTS: EWB's 100 Favourite Artists 2008

YI

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nail head? Meet hammer.

Also because he has Rock in his name, so some people feel affinity with that much awesome [read: douchebaggery].

So far, bar Justice, this has been a very bland list. However, it is an instant success for introducing me to the greatness of the term 'satchel of wank'. Thank you Skummy.

Actually I can't really complain about the 40-something, denim wearing, quasi-American wannabe cunts with mullets, I only went to see Nickelback last week. There wasn't a single Bon Jovi T-Shirt at that gig, very disappointing. :(

I did see the following T-Shirts though: Children of Bodom, Slipknot, Journey, AC/DC (well duh), KISS, Keane, Linkin Park and, uh, Hulkamania.

100. JUSTICE - Let's start as we mean to go on, yeah? With over-hyped dull Daft-Punk wannabe bands who add nothing to anything ever. Seriously, Justice aren't bad. They just aren't good. At all.

99. COLDPLAY - I'll admit that Viva La Vida was a fair sight better than the dire X&Y, but the fact Coldplay have become one of the biggest bands in the world based on them releasing one listenable album eight years ago is horrible. Coldplay are horrible tripe. They make me ashamed to be British...

98. THE VERVE - ...Actually, The Verve make me ashamed to be British. Richard Ashcroft is a horrible, horrible man and the Verve are dire.

97. TENACIOUS D - Big fat meh. Seriously, Tenacious D are fun for ten minutes, and that's it.

95. R.E.M | SUBLIME - REM have that horrible habit of being a band who can produce a blinding song, but not a blinding album. REM deserve their place on this list (although I probably would have put them a bit higher, maybe in the 60-70 range) for releasing some fantastic stuff, but that's it really. Sublime are dire. Ugh.

93. CREEDANCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL | THE SHINS - CCR are nowt mind-blowing, but are damn good for their time. The Shins are dull as fuck, but for some reason I sodding well love them. Huzzah for good bands at last.

91. BABYSHAMBLES | THE LUCKSMITHS - Babyshambles don't set my world on fire. The era of Doherty has well and truly passed and I no longer care. Lucksmiths are hit and miss for me.

89. BIFFY CLYRO | DAVID BOWIE - Biffy's latest album was mostly dire. But old Biffy is phenomenal. Bowie is Bowie and Bowie should be so much higher than 89. :@ to you EWB! :@ to you indeed!

87. KID ROCK | STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO - AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Kid Rock is higher than David Bowie. Aha-fucking-ha. EWB is fucking retarded. I've never really listened to Streetlight Manifesto, however, the fact they're now tainted with Kid Rock means I probably never will.

86. GORILLAZ - Not the second coming of christ like some people believe, but a damn fine band with a couple of damn fine albums under their belt.

I'm going to do two within quick succession as the 2nd one has very few bands in due to ties etc.

EITS3.jpg

85. EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY

(6 | 4 = 20)

gallows300.jpg

84. GALLOWS

(8 | 2 = 20)

nikki-sanderson-lingerie-pictures-f.jpg

83. n/a

...I...I...just...no words...

jamiroquai2.jpg

5853_4eb2cd8b-5762-4c5b-bad2-277a5f7ed59f.jpeg

82. JAMIROQUAI | LIGHTSPEED CHAMPION

(9 | 1 = 20)

AlterBridge.JPG

81. ALTER BRIDGE

(6 | 5 = 22)

elle5.jpg

80. n/a

...hello my lovely...subbed with mine and Bigal's obsession, Elle Dible...

him-01.jpg

the-doors.jpg

79. HIM | THE DOORS

(8 | 3 = 22)

zap_clapton.jpg

78. ERIC CLAPTON

(8 | 2)

8df8a481532c8ac939ac8a3d25e79d5b.jpg

77. n/a

...subbed with bonafied MILF and local totty, Lauren Laverne...

ellie1.jpg

76. n/a

...subbed with another local bird, wasted on kids, Ellie Crissel...click...WASTED!...

Thankfully, the ties begin to end soon, so people can start talking about bands more than my taste in women. :shifty:

Edited by YI

The idea of HIM and The Doors tying is intriguing to me.

I'm a fan of both, and Valo/Morrison draw a number of paralells in my mind. I know a lot of people hate on HIM for being the Hot Topic number one choice, but Ville Valo is one of my favorite frontmen from the last decade in rock.

No. I think they're wank.

Fair enough. I think you're taste in women is "wank", though... so clearly, we're on two separate planets here.

There's a whole lot of hate going on though, simply because they're popular. I got ragged on at the bar for having a HIM bag, so I flipped the bird, found out there was no Guinness and left. A lot of those people don't dislike the band because they don't like the music. Hell, some of them haven't even heard the music... they just don't like that it's popular, or that he wears makeup. I get that one a lot... rednecks saying Valo is a fag...

I find he's very good lyrically, and I love his voice... I find it to be beautiful. He's also got the look and the attitude down... so I can draw the similarities with Jim Morrison, there. Clearly, Jimmy was much more insane, but I find a lot of similarities.

I can definately respect differing opinions though, when they're formed with some semblance of intelligence.

I was on about Gallows. :)

Although I'm not a fan of HIM. :shifty: And the message could still stand. They're wank...I don't like any of their songs. I don't really need to say much more. He may be a good showman, or a great lyricist, but I don't like their songs.

And HIM are still popular? I thought they dropped off the face of the earth of with The Rasmus.

Edited by YI

HIM are wank. How anybody can hear more than two of their songs and still claim Ville Valo is a good lyricist is beyond me, as he's been writing the same song umpteen times for the better part of a decade. They're just cock.

And Jim Morrisson was a fat hairy pretentious drunken prick with an ego the size of a freight train, and The Doors were largely awful, but at least he had the decency to die in a suitably demeaning manner after releasing a couple of decent singles so we could forget how dull the rest of his oeuvre was. That said, "The End" is one of the finest songs ever released, and "Light My Fire" drips pure sex. Shame about the appalling Weill cover, singing anagrams of his own name and bucketloads of existentialist bullshit. Fat dead prick.

Gallows are wank. Altar Bridge wanker. Have no real opinion on Jamiroquai. Lightspeed Champion's satisfactory. Explosions In The Sky are alright, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them all that much. Good background music. Clapton is the devil.