Gears of War 2

King Ellis

Gears of War 2

gears2-3.jpg

AKA The love story of two men in a world of crazy ass bugs.

gearofwarrrmw6.jpg

Story Mode - AKA Kill locusts dead

Six months have passed, all is right with the world...right? The Lightmass Bomb has finally finished those bastards off, right? If only. You're back as Marcus Fenix to try and take those pesky bugs down. If you can't get the job done by yourself then why not enlist the help of a friend to take the role of Dominic Santiago? This time around each player can choose their own seperate difficulty level if they lack the proper chainsaw related skills. In fact, a whole new difficulty level has been created for all you Sloggers out there. Set below the established 'Casual' it should give you an easier ride through the plagued tunnels. The co-op is now fully drop in-drop out enabled if you need to quit your pest control to go sex it up (don't lie Be).

Speaking of chainsaws, you and your COG teammates aren't the only one's wielding them now. In fact, if you happen upon an enemy who also has one, you might find yourself engaged in an epic chainsaw duel. Just make sure it's him that gets split in half and not you. You might also consider taking him hostage and use his body as a meat shield. If you're worried that this all sounds a little gory for you, don't worry, there is an option to turn off the blood and some of the more colorful language.

If diving into a wall every five seconds isn't your style, you might want to consider grabbing one of your enimies. Now when the locust shoot at you, they are hitting one of their own! Your 'meatshield' isn't indistructable though, too many shots and it might fall apart in your arms.

Horde - AKA Kill locusts dead...again

If the emotional rollercoaster of the story mode is tiring you out, leaving you disgruntled with the surly Damon Baird or you're just filled with an unquenchable lust to take down wave after wave of bugs with four of your associates then be sure to enlist for the new Horde mode. Be warned though, as you progress the task is going to become tougher and tougher.

Multiplayer - AKA Kill locusts dead and then have Fitzy teabag their faces off

Up to ten players at a time can face off in various modes to find out who rules the roost. Joining the usual ranks of deathmatch and other standard fare are 'Guardian', 'Wingman', and 'Submission'.

Guardian is a modified version of a gametype from the original Gears, Assasination. Players are free to respawn upon death but should their leader perish then they lose the ability. At this point it becomes a case of survival. '

Wingman' will have you seeing double, the ten players are split into five teams of two, each two man team playing as the same character. So, you might find yourself in a battle of twins between the games characters.

'Submission' is a twist on the classic 'Capture the Flag' game type, in fact it was previously known as 'Meatflag'. Instead of a inanimate flag, the target is a live AI-controlled character. Both teams are required to grab them and carry them back to their base. Be careful though, the meatflag won't be going down without a fight!

Speaking of AI-controlled characters, if your game is lacking a few human players, you might find yourself playing with some bots.

67729924.c1w6cOkp.benerTommyGun.gif

Not him.

The release date - AKA When can I have it?!?!

The game launches worldwide this Friday, 7th of November 2008.

Edited by Fat Sow-sa

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, you are able to have multiple save files at one time instead of just one like in the last game. I just might be able to pull off this co-op polygamy after all.

^_^

I fucking love Gears. Look forward to playing with EWBers as I don't think I ever did in Gears 1.

Dragsy, we may not play hockey anymore, but we sure will play Horde.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I played with Kaney and Kraig, and everyone complained Kaney's lag made him unkillable. I never had a problem :-P

Edited by Maxx

Dragsy has it. :angry:

For any other UK'er who hasn't pre-ordered and is looking to get it on the day, the supermarkets look a good bet.

Sainsbury's (maybe) - £29

Morrisons - £29.99

Asda - £32

Nice to see them having price wars over something other than beans and petrol. :shifty:

So, I got it. Not as cheaply as i'd hoped (neither my local Morrys or Sainsburys had it) so I got it at Humvee for £35.

Not much to say yet other than lol at the new themes they have up. 250 points, they apparently justify this by saying they are 'Premium' and contain art from the Limited Edition art book, or something. The free one they give doesn't look anything special.

Just doing the training bot matches and i'm not really liking this camera they have when you die. The 'ghost' camera that is, essentially one that you can move where you like. It seems to follow the same rules as the game though, for example, I can't just fly over the huge crater in the middle of the map. Instead I have to go around the various obstacles.

Edited by Fat Sow-sa

Got this a couple hours back. So far, I've played through about half the first chapter, and Horde mode (did horribly, died at Level 4).

A few notes:

So far the campaign seems really good. Its fairly obvious they tried to make it as memorable as possible as opposed to clearing room after room of bad guys (though there's that too). Everything feels grander and more epic, as it should with sequels. Here's hoping it doesn't suffer from late game depreciation as it goes along.

Is anyone else having problems finding games? It takes like 5-10 minutes to find a game. I really hope its just due to nobody having gotten around to playing it yet, because if it's cause of my location, that really sucks.

Also Multiplayer seems less laggy than GOW :)

Bah, got to level 13 on the horde then the host quit :(

Just tried Submission. Amazing how a fresh take on the capture the flag genre changes everything, stupid flag that won't stay still. >_>

Edited by Gongsun Zan

If we're even on at the same time and there's a space, you're more than welcome to join our Hording crew. I don't think we've played together since Halo 3 last year, you and your sniper rifle on Narrows. :D

Which reminds me, I tried Horde by myself, on Insane. My scores were 0, 0 and 280. That was for chainsawing a Wretch for 70 points which got multiplied by 4 due to the difficulty.

Edited by Fat Sow-sa