Star Trek: The Movie

fourstarfizzle

Alright, and now an opinion from someone who has never really been all that into Star Trek.. but an observer on characters enough to know who each were and their specific traits.

I loved it, absolutely loved it and I have a good feeling about there being a sequel to this. The casting was strong, very strong and above all else I seemed to invest in each of the main crew members. They were introduced properly too, and not just haphazardly or all at once.. that is something that I am particularly content with. I will admit that it started out kind of weak, the effects on the green skinned girl especially making me roll my eyes... but it quickly picked up and never really stopped from there.

I loved the glare and just generally the way that space was made to look interesting. It wasn't exactly all glitzed up but then again it wasn't ramshackle and thrown together like it seemed to be in Star Wars. This has certainly pushed me to finally check out TOS and TNG.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DS9 is average for the first two-and-a-half seasons then builds to Very Good and finally reaches Awesome by the end of season 5 (though it may drop back to only Very Good towards the end of season 7).

Voyager was trash for the first two-and-a-half seasons then builds to Very Good, but never quite reaches Awesome outside of the odd two-parter.

This is the difference. :shifty:

I'm rewatching early season Deep Space Nine and I actually like some of the shittier, aimless intro episodes more than I remember.

I was like that when I got TNG on DVD. Okay, the first season is comical because they had no idea how much they should be trying to keep it like TOS, but beyond that there are a load of random episodes which are good light entertainment.

Admittedly these are always mixed in amongst Wesley Crusher episodes...or "Beverly falls in love with a ghost" episodes...hmm.

So, my Enterprise marathon continues... it was doing reasonably well, then all of a sudden the Borg showed up.

They seem to be doing that a lot, for no reason just breaking cannon. Like when the Ferengi showed up. I mean, my favourite episodes so far have been the ones that establish their own grip on the Trek universe. (But not that Temporal cold war shit).

Like, the premise is a lot better than I remember, and I'm really enjoying the whole thing where they're not sure how to act around each other, because the concept of a Star Fleet is so new... and I'm loving how they always assume they're walking into situations as the underdog. But then every now and then they go and do something retarded like.. get Trip pregnant, which just felt exactly like that Voyager episode where Tom and Captain turned into Lizards (and NOTHING should ever feel like that again) or spend a whole shitty episode where Hoshi is invisible (which was a rip from the average TNG episode where Ro and Geordi were invisible) only for it all to be a dream.

Sigh, I shall persevere, as I know there are some good episodes to come.

They weren't invisible! They were out of phase! Although they apparently weren't out of phase with the floor, because they were held up by the plot holes.

Still, DS9 is my favorite thing. It allowed for a lot more continuity between episodes simply because the location was generally the same, or at least the same area of space, barring the occasional trip across the wormhole.

That's exactly what I didn't like about Deep Space Nine. I'm not a big Star Trek fan by any stretch of the imagination (I don't think I've ever seen an episode of Voyager or Enterprise), but surely Deep Space Nine kind of voided the basic premise...I mean, it's Star Trek, not Star Hang-About-And-See-What-Happens; "to boldly go where no man has gone before" not "to boldly stay in one place the whole time".

Plus, since DS9 started when TNG was still going on, they didn't want two separate shows about two different ships going around in similar fashion (as though TNG with the Enterprise were the 'A' show, and the other ship were by proxy the 'B' show). So they intentionally looked to come up with a premise that had a fixed based in order to keep it distinctive.

The bad guys trekked to them.. there was still trekking involved. Humans had been trekking for three seasons (TOS/TAS/TNG) by that point, they needed a rest.

I really wish you had been in charge of marketing the show. "Star Trek: Let's Just Have A Sit Down".

Just saw it. Loved it. Almost every single minute. Some people said it started kinda weak, but for me it started brilliantly with the whole pre-credits sequence...

...I was genuinely invested in the Kelvin (largely due to how fucking awesome that was, stylistically, on so many myriad levels) and George Kirk in less than 5 minutes...

...it did plateau off a bit after that, before kicking into high gear the moment they got onto Enterprise and pretty much staying there from then on. Loved the ending, and the characters were all brilliantly done (with the POSSIBLE exception of Sulu, who was really just generic helmsman guy and could have been any other officer apart from the combat sequence) and combined the old-school portrayals with a new, fresh approach.

And Keef, stick with Enterprise. For my money it's the most underrated Trek series, certainly better than all but the most awesome (few and fucking far between as they are) episodes of Voyager.

I know nothing about Star Trek. I've never watched an episode all the way through and have never seen the movies. My buddy wanted to go see this and having nothing better to do, I went with him. Damn good decision. I had a blast watching this, they introduced all the main characters and gave them enough backstory to make me care about them. It had some great action scenes, was funny and even made the villain look somewhat sympathetic and gave a reason for his attacks, which most movies don't do.

Am I going to go watch the TV show? Probably not. I will however buy this on DVD and go see the next one in theaters as well. The Writers and Director should be commended for taking something that has a dedicated fanbase and making it accessible for the average fan while not losing the hardcore fans.