Star Trek: The Movie

fourstarfizzle

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
My girlfriend thinks this movie is going to gross more than Star Wars.

... your girlfriend apparently doesn't understand the film industry and/or sci-fi. Not happening. Not for any of the Star Wars films, aside from that Clone Wars thing this year.

I got Star Trek 90210 roll'd.

That's what I told her. It's a remake with a pretty boy lead and probably not that much else going for it. Don't get me wrong, it may be alright but it won't be anything to eagerly anticipate.

williamshatner.jpg

Shatner is (was) a pretty boy, just try to not look into those eyes :blush:

Edited by Benjamin Linus

My girlfriend thinks this movie is going to gross more than Star Wars.

....yeah, no.

I think the new Star Trek film will bomb to an extent. Changing the release date to May - the Blockbuster season - was a stupid idea. Star Trek will always have the stigma of Trekkies and nerds, no matter how many pretty boys they bring in. The cool and hip crowd they're clearly targeting with these trailers will feel awkward about seeing it in the same way anyone who isn't a teenage girl will feel awkward about seeing Twilight.

I expect it will do what The Incredible Hulk did - come first in the box office but drop off immediately after, earning below the budget.

• 4 months later...

Saw it today. Was pure awesome. I really hope they continue with a series of movies here as it blew me away. The casting was spot on too. Everyone did a fantastic job at bringing something new to the characters while also paying homage to the originals. The starship battle scenes were awesome as well. Very atmospheric, and it reminded me of Battle Star Gallactaca (sp?).