Will Smith

Gene Kiniski

I don't believe I've ever been disappointed by a Will Smith film, well except iRobot and Wild Wild West.

I don't know if he's an incredible actor, or he just puts a lot of time into reading scripts and picking roles that actually fit him instead of forcing himself into a role that isn't right for him.

I heard he's going to be in the remake of Oldboy.

Silence. We talk not of that movie around these parts.

How the hell can they remake a movie that is three years old and is part of a trilogy exploring the concept of vengeance, primarily within a Korean society?

Probably with a bigger budget and more explosions... <_<

So anyway, Will Smith.

Good actor, mixed choice of movies. Fresh Prince was brilliant though. I can't hate on Will Smith but whoever it involved in the Oldboy remake gets freaky curses from me.

FilmSchoolRejects.com is the source:

just came home from a red carpet premier of Will Smith’s film Seven Pounds. The star is on a tour of premiers promoting the film which is starting to create some major Oscar buzz for the already twice-nominated superstar. I’ll have a full red carpet report later, but first, I was able to stop Smith for a few questions, and a couple laughs. One of the hottest topics for me is Smith’s involvement in Steven Spielberg’s acquisition of the rights for Oldboy, and the actor didn’t disappoint on the news front.

We reported on this news almost two weeks ago, but there is a big development from what the star was able to tell me. Fans have already made themselves heard about their distaste for Oldboy being remade and Smith being the man rumored to take the lead. Well, we heard it straight from the star’s mouth that he is definitely starring in Steven Spielberg’s Oldboy…with a twist. Smith wanted to make a very strong point that this is not an adaptation of Chan-wook Park’s 2003 film. So what is it an adaptation of?

We’re looking at that right now. Not the film though, it’s the original source material. There’s the original comics of ‘Oldboy’ that they made the first film from. And that’s what we’re working from, not an adaptation of the film…,” said Smith.

Apparently Spielberg wasn’t acquiring the rights to the film Oldboy, he was acquiring the rights to the original source material of the graphic novel ‘Oldboy.’ I guess the next question would be - what does this mean? This means that fans can rest a bit easier knowing that no one is trying to make a better Oldboy for an American audience. This means that Spielberg is free to truly adapt the source material and not try and copycat the brilliance of Park’s masterpiece. This also means that it will likely be an entirely different film, however, but the graphic novel is still very close to Park’s movie. So stay tuned as more details come in.

I am not a big Will Smith fan. I enjoy some of his films but I tend to think that he over extends himself as an actor. His dramatic work often comes across flat to me. That being said when he is out there being Will Smith in some stupid action comedy I find him watchable.

The idea of him in a remake of Oldboy makes me cringe though.

I SEXED MY DAUGHTER? AH HELL NAH.

Will Smith is fucking amazing! never dissapointed in a film he is involved with! Fresh Prince was brilliant aswell! Everything the man touches turns to gold!

You liked Wild Wild West o_O