Foreign language films

Liam

I'm just full of topics today, it would seem.

I know there seems to be a lot of people who watch foreign films on the board (mostly Asian, it would seem), but I was just wondering what films people have seen?

Afghan

The Kite Runner (ok, so it was filmed by an American as far as I know, but its practically all in Afghan..or Farsi....or whatever)

Asian (since I don't want to hazard a guess at which country each film is actually from >_>)

Battle Royale

Battle Royale 2

Audition

Ichi The Killer

The Ring

Oldboy

Infernal Affairs

I also have 2046, The Eye, Violent Cop and the Happiness of the Katakuri's in my collection to watch.

Italian

The Bicycle Thieves

Cinema Paradiso

Il Postino

Life Is Beautiful

Spanish

Bad Education

Pan's Labyrinth (....that is Spanish, right >_>)

I also have several other Pedro Almodovar films in a box set that I haven't seen yet.

German

Downfall

Head On

Goodbye Lenin!

--------------------

I also have El Topo, which I'm not sure is foreign, since I haven't seen it yet >_>

There may be some more, but I think thats about it that I can remember.

Just the two Battle Royale's I believe.

People don't half give you stick when you say you watched a film in subtitles. They think it's right crazy shit, but they don't realise that they themselves generally go to the cinema to watch explosions and tits and don't really listen to a word that's being said.

101 Reykjavik, Central Station (I will just pretend I didn't cry), The Orphanage and several others that were a bit shit.

EDIT: And the documentary Favela Rising. I will also pretend I didn't get emotional over that.

That is one fucking funny film.

I've watched a huge amount of Hong Kong martial arts movies (of course 90% of them are dubbed which I guess disqualifies them lol):

Enter the Dragon

Chinese Connection

Shaolin & Wu-Tang

Fists of Fury

The Way of the Dragon (Chuck f'n Norris)

Basically everything with Jackie Chan

Italian:

8 1/2

Le notti di Cabiria

Japan:

Seven Samurai (An absolute masterpiece)

Rashomon

Throne of Blood

Yojimbo

Audition

Ichi the Killer

Visitor Q

Swedish:

Seventh Seal

Korean:

Oldboy

I'm sure I'm forgetting some too...

Brotherhood. Which is a Korean film about the Korean war, probably the best non-English film I've ever seen. Assembly is worth a shout too, as is the Infernal Affairs trilogy.

I believe the actual Korean title for the film is "Tae-Guk-Ki". Or something like that.

Edited by Gooner27

More than I can keep track of. Ingmar Bergman and Takeshi Kitano are two of my favourite directors ever, and Mrs. Skummy was hugely into world cinema and French New Wave stuff, as well as being into Swedish cinema as she lived there for a while, and me being big into Asian cinema as I'm a massive Japanophile. In the past three or four years, I've probably consciously watched more foreign language films than I have English language films, by quite some margin.

Does it count if English isn't my first language? :P

From the top of my head, I remember watching some Asian movies (Battle Royale comes immediately into mind, also anime movies, if those count), Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto del Fauno, spanish), and Les Rivières Pourpres and the Asterix films, French.

Aside from films forced upon us at school or college, I can only really think of a couple I've watched voluntarily. (Yes, I'm rather uncultured, it seems).

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Watched it in it's entirety with subtitles and thought it was a brilliant film. Then caught it again with English dubbing and thought it was horrific. It's really doesn't do it justice at all.

Kung Fu Hustle

Girlfriend chose this one week to go see at the cinema. I hadn't heard of it, and she had no idea it was going to be all in Chinese. To be fair to her, I don't think anyone spoke in the trailer which could've made it a tad misleading. Still, parts of it were okay but the vast majority of it was just plain bizarre.

Hmm.....

Looking through my DVD collection I have:

Amelie

Audition

Battle Royale

Brotherhood

Brotherhood Of The Wolf

City Of Lost Children

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Delicatessen

Hana Bi

Hero

Hollentour

Host

House Of Flying Daggers

Infernal Affairs

Intacto

Kagemusha

Lady Vengeance

Oldboy

Ong Bak

Open Your Eyes

Ran

Run Lola Run

Samurai Commando Mission 1549

Shaolin Soccer

Shogun Assassin

Sonatine

Spirited Away

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance

Tokyo 10+01

Twilight Samurai

Warrior King

Zatoichi

They're the ones I own at least. I'm not afraid by subtitles so tend to watch quite a variety.