Christmas Songs...

Skummy

Right, so I'm making an "alternative" Christmas album to give out at my next gig, and to a couple of friends along with their gifts, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tracks.

So far I've bookended it with two versions of the same songs - starting with The Ramones' "Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)", and ended with Joey Ramone's amazing solo version of the same song.

I've got three versions of "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)", not sure which I'll throw on there...probably not the Darlene Love original, as it's all over horrible adverts this year...so it's between Joey Ramone yet again, and maybe Arab Strap's version...possibly both if there's room.

"Deck The Stills" by Bare Naked Ladies is a must.

Outside of that, I've got...."Hark The Herald Angels Sing" by The Fall, "Silent Night" by Can and "It's Christmas Time" by Sun Ra & The Qualities, and maybe "Burst Noel" by Malcolm Middleton.

Possibilities to choose from...the entire Billy Childish Christmas album, so I'll probably go with "Christmas 1979" off that. Probably throw in "Fairytale Of New York", although it's horribly obvious. "Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis" by Tom Waits is a possibility too, but it's not overtly Christmas-y.

...any other suggestions, perchance?

Lonely Christmas by Sloppy Seconds is probably my favorite Xmas related track.

I remember a Twisted Sister Xmas track that was done to the tune of We're Not Gonna Take It... could be fun.

Also... Blue Christmas. Either the extremely quick cover by the Misfits, which is a whopping 29 seconds of just the chorus... or, as much as I dislike the guy, Elvis' version of the song was pretty good too.

I remember a Twisted Sister Xmas track that was done to the tune of We're Not Gonna Take It... could be fun.

Somewhere I actually have the entire Twisted Sister Christmas Album on LP.

I'll dig around and see what else I've got...

And if there's enough of interest and I can figure out how, I'll gaylist this up and upload it somewhere it's done.

blink 182- I won't be home for christmas...its about snapping at some carolers, going after them with a baseball bat, and getting arrested

Nerf Herder- Santa Has a Mullet

All of The Vandals Oi! To The World album...

Think I have a cover of Thrice doing John Lennons "Merry Christmas (War Is Over) somewhere, and The Bouncing Souls and Weston did a cover a few years back of the Band-Aid song Do They Know Its Christmas Time.

Also, Bad Religion did some christmas songs along time ago for K-Rocks Almost Accoustic Christmas...have a live version of frosty the snowman, studio versions of joy to the world (with different lyrics), leon/noel, God Rest Ye Jerry Mentlemen (done to the beat of The Answer)

and of courtse, who can overlook Fears "Fuck Christmas"

That Darkness Christmas tune was epic...I was going to do a Christmas gaylist, but I got bored trying to find stuff...but here's what I have;

"She Came Home For Christmas" by Mew (well, it's about rape/child abuse...but fuck...don't let that stop you...it's all normal stuff in Jersey anyway :shifty:)

"The Christmas Song" by Owl City

"I Hope Your Parents Get You A Tombstone For Christmas Kid/Somewhere In My Memory" by MexicoFALLZ

"All I Want For Christmas" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

"The Ghost of 1914" by RickoLus

"It'll Be Fine At Christmas Time" by SaidMike

"A New Beginning" by Jeremy Enigk (an instrumental, and not technically a Christmas song...but come on...listen to the thing, it's the most Christmas sounding thing ever...it's bells that do it :shifty:)

I had a few more recent ones, but fuck if I can't remember them. The new Kyte EP, "Twp Sparks, Two Stars" sounds really Christmas-y (it's the bells again :shifty:) but I honestly have no idea if it is or not, I haven't paid much attention to the lyrics.

Edited by YI

Cartman singing Oh Holy Night also..

and http://www.plasticpunkrecords.co.uk/ has a bunch up for download, each being released one day at a time..though they don't give any artist names, so I dunno what all they have

A few Xmas songs I'd suggest are:

Sick Puppies - Killing Myself For Christmas

Rise Against - Making Christmas

Jimmy Eat World - Last Christmas

Useless ID - Worst Holiday I've Ever Had

Blink 182 - Happy Holidays You Bastard

Stand Still - I Saw Daddy Kissing Santa Claus

Reliant K - Santa Claus Is Thumbing To Town

The Kinks - Father Christmas

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaPXihbORk

When I was small I believed in Santa Claus

Though I knew it was my dad

And I would hang up my stocking at Christmas

Open my presents and I'd be glad

But the last time I played Father Christmas

I stood outside a department store

A gang of kids came over and mugged me

And knocked my reindeer to the floor

They said:

Father Christmas, give us some money

Don't mess around with those silly toys.

We'll beat you up if you don't hand it over

We want your bread so don't make us annoyed

Give all the toys to the little rich boys

Don't give my brother a Steve Austin outfit

Don't give my sister a cuddly toy

We don't want a jigsaw or monopoly money

We only want the real McCoy

We'll beat you up if you make us annoyed

Don't mess around with those silly toys

But give my daddy a job 'cause he needs one

He's got lots of mouths to feed

But if you've got one, I'll have a machine gun

So I can scare all the kids down the street

We got no time for your silly toys

Have yourself a merry merry Christmas

Have yourself a good time

But remember the kids who got nothin'

While you're drinkin' down your wine

Father Christmas please hand it over

We'll beat you up if you make us annoyed

Either "Listen, the Snow is Falling" by Yoko Ono or the absolutely gorgeous Galaxie 500 cover that I... just heard on the radio right now and am presently listening to.

Reuben - Christmas Is Awesome

Damnit, that's what I came in to say.

Also, I have Thrice covering Carol of the Bells. And the Taste of Christmas album is...well, hit and miss to be honest, but there's some ok stuff on there. Oh, and I quite like Jimmy Eat World's cover of Last Christmas.

Edited by Dragsy