Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

Fag. Just tell me how close to Reuben he is and I will let you know if he is good or sucky.

I'm close to Reuben. >_>

"Talk Less, Say More"

Some bloke from Leeds, who sounds like that fella from Bloc Party and looks suspiciously like a thin Ollie. :shifty:

He looks fuck all like me, and also, OIT! I'm not that fat. :(

Whoever is going to a Gaslight Anthem/Frank Turner/Polar Bear Club show before Sunday 8th (London), tell me what time it wraps up, because I need to do all sorts of underground changing shenanigans to get to Victoria Coach Station to get the last coach back, cos I need to be in uni the next day. :(

"Defiance, Ohio" are touring here this year. :o:D I didn't even realise they were still together. "Share What Ya Got" along with "Reinventing Axl Rose" (by Against Me!) were the albums that got me into folk-punk. They've actually released two more albums since that, need to check them out...awesomely they have everything up for free download. :D Epic album from what I remember, hopefully it still holds up.

http://defianceohio.terrorware.com/audio.php

Edited by YI

Whoever is going to a Gaslight Anthem/Frank Turner/Polar Bear Club show before Sunday 8th (London), tell me what time it wraps up, because I need to do all sorts of underground changing shenanigans to get to Victoria Coach Station to get the last coach back, cos I need to be in uni the next day. :(

On my tickets, it says its an early show, from 7-10, so take that for what it is.

On my tickets, it says its an early show, from 7-10, so take that for what it is.

London curfew is 11 though...I presume you're not going to London. Basically...in your case...how close it runs to 10 or whatever, and maybe a setlist...so I'll know roughly how many songs they have left and whether I should risk staying for more or somethign...grrr, I hate uni. :shifty:

Edited by YI

Well read my posts more (:shifty:), because I generally name drop them a fair amount when going on about This Town Needs Guns/American Football and that ilk. "...Animal Music" rated quite highly in my best of 2007, but naturally, I never got past the first 10...that reminds me, I have lists to finish...but exams take priority to be fair.

I've done a bit search and I tend to not bring them up much, but they're the band I use to compare all these other bands too...like how you use "sounds like a more progressive 'so & so'" or "sounds like a catchier 'so & so'"...with those kind of 'twiddl-indie" bands the 'so & so' tends to be Look Mexico...I guess in my silly little head I just kind of presumed they were fairly well known. :shifty:

You should tell me what of 'those kind' of bands you know. Because I presumed you'd have known Algernon Cadwallader...I've got a bunch of shit like that, as with blues/folk-punk those have been the two 'genres' I've been whoring myself over the past year or so.

Edited by YI

for the math/emo/pop-synth style, I've got Explosions In The Sky, UUDDLRLRBASelectStart, Weatherbox (although I no longer have the album, I'll need to -ahem- track it down again), This Town Needs Guns, Look Mexico, Minus the Bear, That Was Something, This Will Destroy You. I'm really digging that kind of sound at the minute. So I guess I'm telling you to recommend me more.

LOOK AT HIS CHEST! LOOK AT HIS FUCKING WEATHERBOX VEST!! New album soon. :D

Cap'n Jazz

American Football

Maps & Atlases

Sorry No Ferrari ("The Get Down Syndrome" may be my favourite named record ever, plus they cover "Axel F" :shifty:)

Blakfish

Tubelord

Pulled Apart By Horses

Pennines

Algernon Cadwallader

Tera Melos

Data.Select.Party

Atwood

Don Caballero

A Broken Robot

No Kilter

Bah, that'll do for now.

Okay...I might be stepping foot into 'Skummy territory' and attending an "All Tomorrow's Parties"...basically, I have a couple of mates and mates of mates going and they've been ranting at me to head on down with them (cos smaller rooms are sold out or something)...to be fair, it all depends on the one they're attending;

May 8th-10th: Is basically a giant MEEEEH!! Devo and Beirut are the only things I'd like.

May 15th-17th: STYROFOAM!!! (...to be fair, the major reason I'm contemplating it), Teenage Fanclub, Bon Iver, Deerhunter, Pit Er Pat, CSS, Holy Fuck, Gang Of Four, Breeders...seems like a MUCH better line-up.

But I don't know which one they're going to. Skummy (or anyone else who goes) would you recommend it, would I get a kick out of it? If it's the first one, it's a definite "no" right now...2nd, I'd be tempted...I just don't like the stigma of actually having to go to a Butlins in my life. :shifty: