Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

So it's the 2009 elitist thread and nobody's mentioned that Anthony and the Johnson's dropped and it's fucking glorious? Awful.

Is it as good as that bit on the EP where it suddenly goes all E-Street Band with a cheesy sax solo?

Ummm, okay...it's official. Pitchfork has completely lost its relevance with me. I no longer fit into loving everything they say is great. (In fairness, I never totally have been, but usually their opinion would be kind of close to mine.) And I'm settled on that belief.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/reco...r-post-pavilion

New Architecture In Helsinki sounds like a cross between Justice and Robyn. It's not terrible but it's not something I'd rush out and get. Going from songs like It's Almost A Trap and Where You've Been Hiding to this is quite a shift.

Back from finally getting my Gaslight Anthem tickets for February the 6th. Now is the time where all you nice people recommend me Frank Turner and Polar Bear Club songs to check out.

For Frank I'd check out his covers more than anything. His Dancing Queen cover is wonderful, as is his version of The District Sleeps Alone Tonight by The Postal Service. I#d also check out his 'covers' of Million Dead tracks, as what sounds amazing in the language of post-hardcore also sounds fantastic when it's stripped down to Turner and an acoustic guitar. The acoustic versions of Smiling At Strangers On Trains and After The Rush Hour are beautiful. As for actual tracks by Turner, I'm a much bigger fan of Sleep Is For The Week than Love, Ire And Song, and so I'd definitely recommend Worse Things Happen At Sea, Father's Day, A Decent Cup Of Tea and Ladies of London Town. Overall he's a bit hit and miss when it comes to the solo stuff, but that's what I'd recommend.

Yeah, I'm not as into AATJ as much these days, I suppose hearing the awesomeness of Hercules & Love Affair kind of spoiled it, as Haggerty just sounded glorious on that album, but it's typical AATJ stuff. Slow, brooding, heartbreaking and down and out beautiful. It's just a nice album. On the first few listens I'd rate it alongside I Am A Bird Now, but it's still nowhere near the self-titled debut.

I checked out the Algernon Cadwallader EP and that's fantastic. Sounds like a comfortable mix between Sunny Day Real Estate, ycni:m and Bear vs. Shark. Very cool stuff, and I'm certainly looking forward to the album, if there's one in the works, that is.

N-Dubz, "Right Now" by Akon, "Just Dance" by Lady GaGa, "I Miss You" by Basshunter

Awesome.

Basshunter is shit hot, especially the shit off his older album, LOL <(^^,)> (which is one of the best album titles ever, easily), proper dane tunes when YOUR out of it.

MiMi Soya album, no idea, but they laid down demo's for it in December.

Algernon Cadwallader put out their album "Some Kind Of Cadwallader" last year. It's swank stuff. Not sure if another one is due this year.

Polar Bear Club are very much like Hot Water Music. "The Redder, The Better EP" is fucking AMAZING. Their album "Sometimes Things Just Disappear" is top notch as well. So let's go with;

ALL of "The Redder, The Better"

Hollow Place (MASSIVE chorus)

Our Ballads

Burned Out In A Jar

Heart Attack At Thirty

...you may as well just get all the album as well, it's not a lot of material.

Frank Turner, don't check out covers...now that he's got multiple albums and a bunch of earlier stuff, he hasn't done any covers in the time I've seen him. I'd check out "Love Ire & Song" as the vast majority of his setlist was made up of that.

So let's go with;

Photosynthesis

St Christopher Is Coming Home

I Knew Prufrock Before He Was Famous

Back In The Day

The Ballad Of Me And My Friends

Sea Legs

Thatcher Fucked The Kids

In Fear And In Faith's cover of "Gangsta's Paradise" is fucking glorious. The new album is alright too, they remind me of early FFAF, but with grinding, which is nice. It's nowt mindblowing, but if you're a fan of stuff like Every Time I Die, early FFAF, Thrice and (sort of) Blood Brothers, I'd suggest you check out the http://www.myspace.com/infearandfaith

edit: Also, I know it was technically a release from last year, but Distillers sex-godess and Josh Homme's missus, Brody Dalle has got a new band; Spinnerette. They're not going to set the world on fire, and the EP (Ghetto Love) isn't fantastic, but if you her voice, and if you like the last couple QOTSA albums it's certainly worth a listen.

Edited by Don't Hassle The Hoffman

Back from finally getting my Gaslight Anthem tickets for February the 6th. Now is the time where all you nice people recommend me Frank Turner and Polar Bear Club songs to check out.

For Frank I'd check out his covers more than anything. His Dancing Queen cover is wonderful, as is his version of The District Sleeps Alone Tonight by The Postal Service. I#d also check out his 'covers' of Million Dead tracks, as what sounds amazing in the language of post-hardcore also sounds fantastic when it's stripped down to Turner and an acoustic guitar. The acoustic versions of Smiling At Strangers On Trains and After The Rush Hour are beautiful. As for actual tracks by Turner, I'm a much bigger fan of Sleep Is For The Week than Love, Ire And Song, and so I'd definitely recommend Worse Things Happen At Sea, Father's Day, A Decent Cup Of Tea and Ladies of London Town. Overall he's a bit hit and miss when it comes to the solo stuff, but that's what I'd recommend.

I thought he didn't do MD covers? Anyone point me in the right direction?

And In Fear and Faith sound ace, love the Gangsta's Paradise cover.

Smiling At Strangers On Trains

After The Rush Hour

Living The Dream

Achilles Lung

Margot Kidder

Medicine

There you go Dragsy. At £2 a pop, that adds up to £12, I do believe. The pint's in the post. >_>

Edited by Don't Hassle The Hoffman