Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

Okay...I might be stepping foot into 'Skummy territory' and attending an "All Tomorrow's Parties"...basically, I have a couple of mates and mates of mates going and they've been ranting at me to head on down with them (cos smaller rooms are sold out or something)...to be fair, it all depends on the one they're attending;

May 8th-10th: Is basically a giant MEEEEH!! Devo and Beirut are the only things I'd like.

May 15th-17th: STYROFOAM!!! (...to be fair, the major reason I'm contemplating it), Teenage Fanclub, Bon Iver, Deerhunter, Pit Er Pat, CSS, Holy Fuck, Gang Of Four, Breeders...seems like a MUCH better line-up.

But I don't know which one they're going to. Skummy (or anyone else who goes) would you recommend it, would I get a kick out of it? If it's the first one, it's a definite "no" right now...2nd, I'd be tempted...I just don't like the stigma of actually having to go to a Butlins in my life. :shifty:

It being at Butlins is the best part! When there's no one playing that you want to see, you can go on log flumes, or gamble, or have a pizza. Or play crazy golf. It's definitely worth it, fantastic fun.

The 8th-10th one is the one I'm most interested in, but at the moment can't get enough people together who want to go...mostly I want to see Sleep and Devo, but admittedly the line-up isn't looking as strong as I'd hoped.

The 15th-17th one doesn't look as good to me, but bearing in mind that I have to pay for flights and however else I'm going to get there as well, so ATP usually ends up costing me in the region of £350 all told, so I need quite an incentive. However, I am more likely to have friends going to this one....

...I'm now confused, though, as I was convinced that at least one of these two was at Camper Sands, not Butlins, but apparently they're both at Butlins in Minehead.

Oh, and if you can, try and get a chalet with a kitchen. Not because of the kitchen itself, but they're always superior - they've got a shower, which the others don't tend to, and they've also got a living room area which the others don't, and that vastly improves your chances of enjoying yourself - there's two ATP-programmed TV channels that play throughout the weekend, so if you're around before/after bands are playing, it's always good to have a bit to drink watching telly rather than paying too much in the bars at the "stages" themselves.

i dont visit this thread often enough.

To whoever replied 3 pages ago, i got through fleet foxes and helsinki on my album list. Really like fleet foxes, very relaxing. Still unsure about helsinki, there are good tracks and then there are tracks that make my ears hurt.

i think it requires some more listening

Turns out they're going to the first one. Meh.

Also, on vague flashbacks to my birthday, I remember talking to this guy about relatively vague modern day UK punk-rock, like; Dead Swans, Break The Habit, Chief, Arteries, All Or Nothing, Dauntless Elite etc.

But then he said he liked Gallows, and then I hated him.

Edited by YI

I didn't blank you, I just didn't see you. Totally different. :shifty:

And I really want to go to the 15th one...but the group I would be going with are hitting up the earlier one, and I think that one looks shit, so fuck that. But Styrofoam. :(

I don't see how anyone can say the line-up for the second one is shit; The Breeders, Holy Fuck, Styrofoam, Gang of Four, Teenage Fanclub, Deerhunter, Kimya Dawson. It's an awesome line-up, and then there's the fact that it's at Butlins, which makes it horrendously surreal and totally awesome.

I don't see how anyone can say the line-up for the second one is shit; The Breeders, Holy Fuck, Styrofoam, Gang of Four, Teenage Fanclub, Deerhunter, Kimya Dawson. It's an awesome line-up, and then there's the fact that it's at Butlins, which makes it horrendously surreal and totally awesome.

No, I meant the first one looks like a shit line up (only interested in Devo and Beirut). The 2nd one has an AMAZING line up. But I only know people who want to go to the 1st one. :(

Then your friends are shit. >_>

I know. :(

In other news, This Is A Standoff (ex-Belvedere) are releasing a new album, "Be Disappointed" (the follow up to "Be Excited"), and are touring the UK a couple of months later. EPIC tech-punk band, actually preferred their debut to Belvedere's stuff.

Also, epic band to be on the lookout for is "Transit"...they have a new EP (maybe album, not sure) called "Stay Home" out soon, here's the video for the title track;

http://blip.tv/file/1412552/

Remind me a lot of A Wilhelm Scream, No Trigger, Swellers, All Idols Fall, Mute, Pendleton etc. Apparently they put out a full length last year too (although apparently with some shoddy production), will have to track it down.

Edited by YI

The best Mountain Goats album? Tough one.

Personally, I adore "The Coroner's Gambit", which has the awesome loveliness of "Bluejays and Cardinals", "Jaipur", "Insurance Fraud #2", "Baboon" and "Scotch Grove" on it. So that's probably my favourite, but "Tallahassee", "Sweeden", "The Sunset Tree" and "Heretic Pride" are all also worth getting for sure.

I forgot how much I sodding well love Patrick Wolf. The guy is a genius. <3

Today's been a pretty good day for music acquisition. I have All-Time Quarterback, Patrick Wolf, The Magnetic Fields, Fleet Foxes and some A Wilhelm Scream to get me through the next few days. Wonderful.

Edited by Enrico Salvatore Rizzo

It was Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie, Postal Service) side-project in '99. Only released a couple EPs, which were reissued as an album in 2002. It's nowt special, and just sounds like a stripped down, lo-fi version of Death Cab. If you like DCFC, you'd love it for sure.