ATTN: Coin Op

The Mask of Norro

I'm planning to do a self-made mural of video games as a little side-project for myself. Some of you may remember that I've done this before, but this one I actually plan to do with the intention of having it be a fold-up piece to put in my portfolio, so I'm looking to get pretty stylized with it.

Anyway, I'm torn over what I should do this thing on: it's going to be an a-to-z mural with one entry per letter. What I was wondering is, should I only do recent games, as in the past... three years? Five years? Or should I do best games of all time? Or, by that same token, should I just go with my favorite games out of the bunch of games in recent years, or my favorite games out of the games made in all time?

I figured rather than make up my own damn mind, I'd let you guys decide. I've only got a few preferences for certain letters, but other than them, I've yet to really make up my mind. So, if all of you don't mind...

A: Asteroids

B: Bioshock

C: Civilization IV

D:

E:

F:

G: Grand Theft Auto IV

H: Halo 3

I:

J: Joust

K: Katamari Damacy

L: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

M: Metal Gear Solid 4

N: Ninja Gaiden 2

O: Okami

P:

Q:

R:

S: Super Mario Galaxy

T: Tetris

U:

V:

W: Wii Sports

X: Xevious

Y:

Z:

Wanna help me fill this thing out? :)

Edited by The Mask of Norro

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I should do best games of all time, then? Honestly, I'm just looking for help on exactly which era of video games, if any, I should be working in here >_>

B could also be Battletoads, Burnout, Brain Training/Age (Dr. Kawashima's little virtual face is wonderful) or Breakout. Breakout could interesting if you mix it in with Tetris, have the blocks of Tetris form the blocks of Breakout.

D, Dance Dance Revolution, Dead Rising, Defender, Dragon's Lair

E, Earth Defence Force 2017, Earthworm Jim, E.T

I, Ico, Ikaruga

P, Prince of Persia, the new one. Would be something different.

Katamari could be on too, that's quite bright and colourful. Could use B (Beautiful Katamari, 360) or (Katamari Damacy, PS2).

A should be Asteroids, I think it'd be interesting to have a little section be in black and white.

Viewtiful Joe or Viva Pinata spring to mind for V.

Z, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Zool or Zone of the Enders.

X could be tricky. Outside of the plentiful X-Men series you have PC/Amiga type stuff like X-Wing or X-COM.

U could be UnJammer Lammy, quite a unique graphical style.

T HAS to be Tetris. I just love that classic boxart with the movement lines on the blocks.

Q, Q-Bert or Quake. Not much else to pick from really.

R, Rez.

O, Oddworld, Operation Thunderbolt/Wolf, Oregon Trail, OutRun.

N, kinda tricky this one. Tons of sports titles and their spinoff's (NBA Jam or NFL Blitz). I'm thinking maybe Need For Speed or Ninja Gaiden (Either one of the 8 bit originals or the new next gen one, Ninja Gaiden II).

Edited by Marlon King Ellis

P should be Pacman or Pokemon if you ask me. But apparently the new PoP is pretty awesome so I don't see why that shouldn't be included.

D for Dynasty Warriors or R for Romance of the 3 Kingdoms to go with my Frogger, Civilization and Sims 2 from before.

And yes, best of all time or "iconic" games or whatever. Which kinda rules out DW - but RoTK could still be a candidate as that's a different type of game and a top strategy game in general.

Well, you should base it on all time -but only do games you like. Shows your likes as well as your talent.

That's what I've been leaning towards to be honest, but I wasn't certain. I put together a list from A-to-Z of games made since '06 and I just didn't like some of my choices, so... yeah.

For P, I've been torn in a three-way struggle. Pacman for its iconic image in gaming, Pokemon for its massive impact on gaming in-general and overall success and worldwide fame, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney because I fucking love Phoenix Wright.

EDIT: Went ahead and put Civilization IV for "C".

Edited by The Mask of Norro

Metal Gear Solid or Monkey Island.

M: Metal Gear Solid 4

:shifty:

Okay, let me see...

P: Pacman, Pokemon, Pong, Prince of Persia

I've been wanting to put Katamari in, honestly... only thing stopping me before was that it was a game from '05, so you know what? I'll go ahead and put that in.

You should keep watchin my original post for edits, before long I will have the whole alphabet done. :shifty:

Trust me, I have. Your post was what pushed me to just go with Katamari :P

I'm mostly leaning towards games that I prefer on this, but when I can't make up my mind I'm hoping a good number of people can push me in the right direction in here :P

Urrrgh, you know what? Much as I now want to put Oregon Trail for "O", I'm just going to go with my original desire and put Okami there. I love that game to death and it hasn't gotten nearly the level of popularity in sales that it deserves :(