Friday The 13th

IDOL

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm totally on the opposite end of the spectrum here guys. I enjoyed this movie greatly, more so probably than any of the others. I've seen every part in the series, and this was the best just by a technical standpoint. The camera work was beautiful. The parts with Jason were darkly shot, and added a real creepy feel to the parts where he was stalking someone. Jason was portrayed as a total badass, and I don't understand how anyone could think that there weren't great kill scenes:

NOBODY saw that fucking arrow coming, that was awesome. The way the Asian dude died was just fucking gruesome and I liked the added touch that Jason seemed to be enjoying the way he was killing him as he slowly drove that barb through his throat. Oh, and not only did the bear trap nearly sever the guy's leg, but Jason fucking roasted his girlfriend! Short of ripping out everyone's assholes and forcing a guy to eat them, I don't think the movie needed much more gore.

For a horror movie, they did a great job building sympathetic characters in this movie. Too many of these movies are just dumb horny teens hanging out in the woods and you could care less if any lived. I wanted the brother, sister and the rich prick's girlfriend all to live because they seemed like genuinely caring people. They actually had character and something to relate to.

I'm sure some people are going to complain that Jason was made out to be more human than in previous films. He wasn't portrayed as a inhuman super uber zombie like past movies, and I like that. In a way, Jason was almost built up as a sympathetic figure... a lost undead being killing for the revenge of his mother. He was still portrayed as a total bad ass, so there's really nothing to complain about. Though I must say he looked a lot scarier with the potato sack on his head.

I'm glad they didn't go with a total remake. Halloween, while I enjoyed it, was too similar to the first in the series. This one isn't like that. There's enough of the old stuff that you can relate to, but the movie felt like I hadn't seen it before. It certainly did the series justice in my opinion, and in no way was offensive to the character.

Oh, and I liked the ending. thought it was a good homage to the original

People expect too much out of horror movies :angry:

As people who follow me on Twitter know, I had low expectations anyway. But here are my main three problems with it -

1 - Not scary and incredibly predictable. You know when there's a 'fake-out' moment, you know where and when Jason will appear etcetera. And considering how modern day horror is more about making the audience jump by playing sudden musical stings, you'd think the soundtrack would be louder too.

2 - The narrative is flimsy anyway because of how it is split into two. But I preferred the people who got slashed up in the first twenty minutes than the cock-ends residing for the majority of the film. There was way more potential with the five camping out near a fuckload of weed than a couple of plastic titted blondes with 'perfect nipple placement' and other cliches.

3 - It wasn't even the most gruesome and violent film I've seen this week. Even the spike through the Chinese guy's head cumshot felt tame.

Not being a fan of Saw, and super-gore I thought the movie balanced it out really well. There were parts I cringed over, and that's enough for me. You didn't jump at all GA? There were quite a few points at which I gave myself whiplash, mostly because of the sound. I didn't have a problem with that at all really.

Not being a fan of Saw, and super-gore I thought the movie balanced it out really well. There were parts I cringed over, and that's enough for me. You didn't jump at all GA? There were quite a few points at which I gave myself whiplash, mostly because of the sound. I didn't have a problem with that at all really.

I flinched when the dog appeared. That's about it.

Ki-Ki-Ki Ma-Ma-Ma

:pervert:

I won't be able to see this for awhile probably. Our theatre has only one screen, so at most, they bring in two movies per week... and they have a terrible habit of staying PG, with very few exceptions.

My best bet at seeing this before DVD is if somebody releases a screener copy.

That said, anyone who's remotely interested in the series should check out His Name Was Jason... it's a documentary about the series, what made it work, why Jason Voorhees can be lumped in the same group as Mickey Mouse, and where they want to go in the future. It's hosted by Tom Savini, which makes it even better. That guy could host a documentary about knitting, and I'd watch intently.

Movie was ok. Not great, but ok. I enjoyed some bits of the film but I found less scary and not really full of a lot of gore. The comedy bits had me laughing.

If you went in expecting a legitimately scary film, or Saw/Hostel levels of gore, then I have no idea where you got your ideas about the Friday the 13th franchise.

While there have been moments in the films where you can say "Holy shit, that kill was awesome", it's never really been about the gore.

My advice to new viewers, or people who've seen some of the old films but never really became big fans... go through and watch them all. I haven't seen the remake, but I can almost guarantee that by the time you get to the remake, you'll love it... or you'll hate the whole series.

If you went in expecting a legitimately scary film, or Saw/Hostel levels of gore, then I have no idea where you got your ideas about the Friday the 13th franchise.

I can't go with this line of logic. Just because the previous films were campy with "boo!" scares, it doesn't mean this one should be too. I thought the whole point of rebooting franchises was to restore their luster and in the case of horror, give them their balls back. It's a horror movie, it SHOULD be scary... otherwise, why bother?

I haven't seen this yet, but if people are trying to find justification for it not being scary, then I'll wait till it's on Netflix before I even bother.

Edited by Zero

Why do "slasher" and "scary" have to be mutually exclusive? There's a reason the genre was dead until Scream came along, because it just got old and stupid. I really shouldn't be surprised that this movie appears to be shit considering the people responsible for it, but I really wish someone would come along and fix the horror genre instead of relying on the Japanese or the 1980s.

Why do "slasher" and "scary" have to be mutually exclusive? There's a reason the genre was dead until Scream came along, because it just got old and stupid. I really shouldn't be surprised that this movie appears to be shit considering the people responsible for it, but I really wish someone would come along and fix the horror genre instead of relying on the Japanese or the 1980s.

The Feast series. It's unique in the horror genre, and it doesn't rely on nods to things that worked way back when.

It's way out there, and at times ridiculous... but all three of them are just really fun, monster movies with a lot of pretty fucked up things happening.

In regards to your earlier comment, I would have been much happier to see a more brutal version of Friday the 13th. Preferrably, you take what worked in the 80s and adapt it for the times, which would mean, yes, more gore and more legitimately scary moments... but it sounds like what we got is still campy, albeit slightly more realistic in its' handlings of the protagonist (and don't kid yourselves, Jason Voorhees is the protagonist of these films).

Like I said, I was hoping they would really push the envelope as to what they could do. Be more brutal with the kills, more lude with the sex, and just generally more in-your-face.

Edited by Gabriel

As a huge fan of the series, I felt it was awesome. None of the Fridays have ever really been that scary, or any slashers at all really, not for me anyways. It had some fun kills, a great looking Jason and a bunch of kids you couldn't wait to see get destroyed. Very enjoyable remake, better Parts 5, 7l, 8, Goes To Hell and X. Easily on par with Freddy Vs Jason., probably better than that too.

Besides it a remake of the first 3 films, of course its going to be predictable. People are really annoying with what they want out of a remake. They want it to be true to the source, but too much and its predictable? Please. Its a fucking Friday the 13th movie, they've been the same since Part 3. Jason kills stupid teens, I'm not sure why peoples expectations were so high for it. Please some explain how a Friday the 13th movie could become unpredictable. Jason kills no one? Jason dies midway through? Killer isn't Jason?

Edited by Montana Maxx