LOST Season 5 *SPOILERS*

Matt

I'm beginning to think that the bomb didn't completely reset everything. As Faraday says, whatever happened, happened and Alpert said he saw the Losties die back in 1977. So my best guess is along with everybody that the bomb sends them back to 2007 or to another period in time that doesn't disrupt the timeline.

But Faraday also said that there were variables: i.e. those who've come back in time. Dharma and co can't do anything to change the events of the past because what they do in 1977 already happened, but Jack, Sawyer and co can do as they wish because they're not naturally a part of 1977. Thus they can alter time as they please, the only problem is was Miles correct in what he said: is the incident the detonation of the bomb as opposed to tapping into the electromagnetic pocket?

I'm pretty sure that if the bomb did go off, they've altered the course of time, because the bomb was powerful enough to destroy the island - which clearly never happened. It'd be a pretty shit cop out if Juliet didn't successfully detonate the bomb, however.

Yeah, Josh Holloway is a frikkin' beast.

The 77'ers didn't change a thing. They always did that. They caused the incident. DHARMA will fill the hole with cement, finish building The Swan. Radzinski will begin pushing the button etc etc...

I don't think we'll see anymore of Jacob (in the present at least). He's dead. This is the last loop. No one else is going to be brought to the island.

Yeah, Josh Holloway is a frikkin' beast.

The 77'ers didn't change a thing. They always did that. They caused the incident. DHARMA will fill the hole with cement, finish building The Swan. Radzinski will begin pushing the button etc etc...

I don't think we'll see anymore of Jacob (in the present at least). He's dead. This is the last loop. No one else is going to be brought to the island.

They just nuked the damn island, everyone on the island must die if the bomb actually detonated. Besides it's going to be a relatively boring last season if they're just going to continue with events as they happened, I'm fairly sure there's going to be some timeline altering.

They just nuked the damn island, everyone on the island must die if the bomb actually detonated. Besides it's going to be a relatively boring last season if they're just going to continue with events as they happened, I'm fairly sure there's going to be some timeline altering.

We didn't see the nuke blow up. The screen flashed white, which is what we saw every time they flashed through time.

As for boring, there's still the war to come. Man in Black/Evil Locke has just killed Jacob. We now know that both Illana and her crew came to help Jacob. The 77'ers are about to return. We still haven't been inside the Temple. I don't think we've seen the last of Desmond, nor Whitmore or Eloise.

There's loads of things that can/will happen.

We didn't see the nuke blow up. The screen flashed white, which is what we saw every time they flashed through time.

As for boring, there's still the war to come. Man in Black/Evil Locke has just killed Jacob. We now know that both Illana and her crew came to help Jacob. The 77'ers are about to return. We still haven't been inside the Temple. I don't think we've seen the last of Desmond, nor Whitmore or Eloise.

There's loads of things that can/will happen.

It'd be a major cop out to not have the nuke explode after all that build up for it and surely if they flashed through time, that's because the nuke did explode.

Yeah, when I said boring I meant in terms of the 1977 storyline, not in terms of the series as a whole. If the nuke didn't go off, they haven't altered time, and they're still stuck in 1977, which means that the 77'ers are merely going to stick to a set timeline and given that the 77'ers includes most of the main characters, I don't see that happening.

I think something must happen to the nuke (to cause the effect of pregnancies, but I can't imagine it'll explode (at least in a conventional way. The Man in Black has already shown that he can affect bombs (he did with Michael on he freighter at least). I just can't see the island going though. What we saw in "The Incident" makes too much sense. Pierre Chang getting his arm trapped (he only has one arm in the later DHARMA Orientation films), and Radzinski surviving (so he can push the button).

As for the 77' storyline being boring. If you mean watching it - I found it entertaining. It was interesting finding out more about DHARMA, and how Sawyer and co. settled into a nice life. Storyline wise, they caused the incident, and are different people after experiencing it. Maybe they're more ready for whatever's in store for them in 07'.

But are their lives so bad that they'd be contemplating suicide? Sawyer and Juliet were just considering starting a new life on the outside world, and now they're happy to die. Come think of it, Jack actually was suicidal during his beardey phase, so that makes total sense for him. But I don't think it explains why everyone else is happy to die.

They did explain why Juliet was intent on helping Jack. After seeing Sawyer's reaction to Kate's presence, she knew she'd never have him fully and would rather reset it so she never met him and "never had to lose him".

But are their lives so bad that they'd be contemplating suicide? Sawyer and Juliet were just considering starting a new life on the outside world, and now they're happy to die. Come think of it, Jack actually was suicidal during his beardey phase, so that makes total sense for him. But I don't think it explains why everyone else is happy to die.

They did explain why Juliet was intent on helping Jack. After seeing Sawyer's reaction to Kate's presence, she knew she'd never have him fully and would rather reset it so she never met him and "never had to lose him".

I thought that a large part of her being fine with the reset was the idea that if you're really meant to be with someone, you'll end up with them no matter what, so if she reset it and they were really meant to be together, it wouldn't matter because they'd still meet.

Well, I don't think the finale is conclusive in so far as "whatever happened, happened." Sure, the doctor DID get his hand crushed and all that jazz, but that all happened before Juliet set off the bomb. As some of the characters said, maybe they CAUSE the incident and that's always happened, but then again, maybe not.

An interesting thing that I've seen circulating around but I don't think anyone has mentioned here are the flashblacks for those in '77 (except for Miles). We got flashbacks for Kate, Sawyer, Sayid, Jack, Hurley, Jin, Locke, and Juliet (I know Locke wasn't in 77, but meh). Jacob was present in all of them except for Juliet. Not only that, and I have watched closely to confirm, but for every person that Jacob visits in a flashback, he physically touches them in some way. Sometime, it's very slight (he barely touches Hurley's arm and his fingertips are touched by Sawyer when he takes the pin), but it's there. Juliet never gets touched, though. Is she a variable in that sense? I also think it's interesting because Jacob seems to be really, REALLY big on free will.

Another thing that I noticed was that I think that, at the very least, the other dude from the beginning has taken the form of Locke and Christian. I would also be quick to add Alex to that list (think of how convenient it is. Impostor Locke wasn't in that scene at the same time and Alex told Ben to do whatever Locke said.) Past that, I think the other dead people we've seen on the show are also this same entity vis-a-vis their dead bodies being on the island at some point.

To a certain extent, I also think Jacob has an ace in the hole. He was rather complacent about his death, and I don't know if that is merely his nature or if there is a loophole to the loophole.

All in all, I thought it was a great finale, but with Locke being really dead, thinking back on it, he went out like a bitch and that seems like such an unfitting end for such an awesome character.

I think next season is going to be awesome, and I think that the logo change is a perfect symbol of things yet to come and a reflection that this is going to be a different show with a "different" island.

As a brief aside, Jacob tells Jack in reference to the vending machine that sometimes things just need a little push...hrmm.

I don't think that's the last we'll see of Jacob

I'm also pretty sure anti-Jacob is all of the dead people we've seen (Charlie, Boone, Eko (or was it just Hurley that saw him? either way, I think it was anti-Jacob), Ana-Lucia, Alex, Christian, etc: He's probably smokey too.

I had noticed Jacob touched everyone he met but I'm not sure of the significance of it. And I think Juliet wasn't visited because Jacob didn't bring her there (like Miles).

The most intriguing thing to me is: who's coming?

There's no way that's the last of Jacob. You don't just build up some guy as the ruler of this mystical island and then kill him off like a little bitch and leave it at that.

I'm really hoping Season 6 will be about the history of the island and such, and why it's the way it is. Give Jacob's enemy and Richard some flashback episodes maybe, and Jacob if he comes back to life. I'm not even sure what there's left for the main characters to do and I don't really care, I'm too intrigued by this Jacob stuff.

There are parts of the story that aren't really important to the overall story arch, and like the Libby/Mental institute business. If they have time and if it fits in with the way the mythos is going, then we'll get an explanation, but Season 6 is going to pretty much be answering the key questions that we have been troubled with, not the filler questions. I guess it depends how much story of Ben really remains that will be relevant, because I don't really know what else there is for Ben to do now that Jacob is 'gone'.

I'd like them to answer any filler questions once the series is over though, there are lots of random questions that I'd like answers to that I don't imagine will tie in with the storyline.

They won't answer everything when it's over because "it ruins the mystery". So unless they change their mind, the final season is all the canon you'll get.

And by "ruins the mystery" they mean "umm.... we didn't really think of that".

I really want them to answer why the numbers are significant and keep appearing everywhere - I know the general consensus is that it's the Valenzetti Equation, but I'd like for them to confirm it. I also want to know about the statue, the history of Jacob/anti-Jacob, what that statue is all about, who was in the cabin (I'm guessing anti-Jacob), what smokey is, how the island is what is (and where it is). So long as they answer those I'll be happy.

They won't answer everything when it's over because "it ruins the mystery". So unless they change their mind, the final season is all the canon you'll get.

And by "ruins the mystery" they mean "umm.... we didn't really think of that".

I really want them to answer why the numbers are significant and keep appearing everywhere - I know the general consensus is that it's the Valenzetti Equation, but I'd like for them to confirm it. I also want to know about the statue, the history of Jacob/anti-Jacob, what that statue is all about, who was in the cabin (I'm guessing anti-Jacob), what smokey is, how the island is what is (and where it is). So long as they answer those I'll be happy.

It was Dr. Christian Shephard in the cabin. I think we can safely assume that anytime a dead person has appeared on the island, its anti-Jacob, who I'm starting to believe that anti-Jacob is the smoke monster in a human form.