LOST Season 5 *SPOILERS*

Matt

Awesome, awesome opening show. Confusing as fuck at points but what do you expect with Lost?

Regarding the finish,

Who was that woman? I know she was the woman who told Desmond about time travel, but is that all we know about her?

There are a lot of clues and speculation that she's Daniel's mother. The chalkboard is familiar, the physics, etc. Either that or she's Judi Dench's character from Chronicles of Riddick...

Awesome, awesome opening show. Confusing as fuck at points but what do you expect with Lost?

Regarding the finish,

Who was that woman? I know she was the woman who told Desmond about time travel, but is that all we know about her?

There are a lot of clues and speculation that she's Daniel's mother. The chalkboard is familiar, the physics, etc. Either that or she's Judi Dench's character from Chronicles of Riddick...

I have been assuming that she is Daniel's mother.

Regarding the finish,

I too assumed that, but do we actually know anything of her other than that she appeared in Flashes Before Your Eyes (I think it was called)

Regarding the finish,

I too assumed that, but do we actually know anything of her other than that she appeared in Flashes Before Your Eyes (I think it was called)

The woman is also in a picture in the monastery that Desmond was in for a while. Her name is Ms. Hawking, but beyond that, nothing is really known about her. A lot of people are predicting that she'll be Daniel's mother, but I'm not so sure. I mean, Daniel told Desmond that he had to go to Oxford to find her, and she had to have been close to Los Angeles in order for Ben to speak with her at the end of the episode.

I liked the episodes, but I really need to know how their time travel works. At the moment it makes my head hurt.

I think it follows Terminator rules rather than Back to the Future rules. By that, I mean in Terminator there never was a timeline in which Kyle didn't come back to help Sarah Connor. That ties in with fate, and I think it's the same way in Lost. For example, there never was a timeline in which Daniel Faraday didn't go and visit Desmond in the hatch. Lost isn't like Back to the Future where Marty can go back to 1955 and see himself singing Johnny B. Goode etc. But then then Desmond being the exception to the rule fucks that up because there shouldn't be any exceptions.

But like I said it makes my head hurt. They need to clarify some stuff.

I liked the episodes, but I really need to know how their time travel works. At the moment it makes my head hurt.

I think it follows Terminator rules rather than Back to the Future rules. By that, I mean in Terminator there never was a timeline in which Kyle didn't come back to help Sarah Connor. That ties in with fate, and I think it's the same way in Lost. For example, there never was a timeline in which Daniel Faraday didn't go and visit Desmond in the hatch. Lost isn't like Back to the Future where Marty can go back to 1955 and see himself singing Johnny B. Goode etc. But then then Desmond being the exception to the rule fucks that up because there shouldn't be any exceptions.

But like I said it makes my head hurt. They need to clarify some stuff.

I think it DOES operate under Back to the Future rules, but they can't "change" anything. I don't think Desmond is an exception. I think his involvement is within the confines of the rules. I would enjoy some explanation, but I'm sure Faraday will come through with that. Hell, that's why he's on the show.

PRODUCER INTERVIEW SPOILER

It has been said that the islanders WILL run into different iterations of themselves

But by seeing themselves, they already have changed something. For example, we've already seen the scene where Sawyer tries to get revenge on a boar, and a second Sawyer didn't come along and say "Hey Wassup?". If we were to see him do that on a future episode, he'd have changed what we originally saw in that scene. I think you're only counting "change" as certain events, and not everything.
Edited by betterguy

Well, last episode, it established that the island itself may not be moving, but the inhabitants sure are. I think the island INITIALLY moved, which we saw, but according to Richard, Locke was suddenly gone. I understand that they won't be running directly into each other, but there's still chances to see them at a distance or to do other things like "Hey, I think I'll put this object I need to find in a certain place." We'll see, though.

INTERESTING TID BIT

I find it interesting that they wanted to switch the 6th and 7th episodes to "get us answers" sooner.

But by seeing themselves, they already have changed something. For example, we've already seen the scene where Sawyer tries to get revenge on a boar, and a second Sawyer didn't come along and say "Hey Wassup?". If we were to see him do that on a future episode, he'd have changed what we originally saw in that scene. I think you're only counting "change" as certain events, and not everything.

I think it will mainly be the whispers that people heard that are actually our Losties talking elsewhere.

So in case you're wondering about the people who threatened to cut off Juliet's hand, this sneak peek answers it - http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2009/01/e...eak-peek-3.html

Edited by PkmnTrainerJ

Since it's a week old in the US and three days old in the UK, I don't think we need spoilers to talk about last weeks plot any more.

I think you guys are taking the "you can't change anything" the wrong way. I'm pretty sure what Daniel meant was that the universe course corrects itself, so trying to change anything is pointless. I think they're on different timelines, otherwise Desmond would've remembered Daniel when he first arrived on the island.

Since it's a week old in the US and three days old in the UK, I don't think we need spoilers to talk about last weeks plot any more.

I think you guys are taking the "you can't change anything" the wrong way. I'm pretty sure what Daniel meant was that the universe course corrects itself, so trying to change anything is pointless. I think they're on different timelines, otherwise Desmond would've remembered Daniel when he first arrived on the island.

The universe course correcting, in my mind, is a way of saying that you can't change anything. For instance, let's say X kills Y. You kill X, but Y will still die. You've, in effect, not really changed what you sought out to change.

As for your second comment...hrmm. Interesting theory. At the same time, when on the island were they, though? It's entirely possible that too much time had gone by. I mean, Desmond was getting a little crazy toward the end there.

The universe course correcting, in my mind, is a way of saying that you can't change anything. For instance, let's say X kills Y. You kill X, but Y will still die. You've, in effect, not really changed what you sought out to change.

As for your second comment...hrmm. Interesting theory. At the same time, when on the island were they, though? It's entirely possible that too much time had gone by. I mean, Desmond was getting a little crazy toward the end there.

Yeah, that's exactly right. But it doesn't mean they can't do do anything, it just means whatever they do will have no effect in the long run. They can do what they like, but it won't change what happens because the universe will just course correct itself.

I think Desmond would remember the only guy who visited him for 3 years, though.

Yeah, that's exactly right. But it doesn't mean they can't do do anything, it just means whatever they do will have no effect in the long run. They can do what they like, but it won't change what happens because the universe will just course correct itself.

I think Desmond would remember the only guy who visited him for 3 years, though.

I thought the reason that Desmond could talk to Daniel was that the two had never met before? Or am I imagining things and the two have actually had a full on episode together, I can't remember anything about season 4 that wasn't the final few episodes. :x

Yeah, I'm exactly the same. I really need to re-watch Series 4 ... and every other series, really. I was surprised, for example, that Sawyer didn't recognise the ginger scientist.

My enthusiasm is kind of waning, and I didn't really think I'd become one of those people. I'm just totally turned off by time travel unless they really pull something revolutionary out of the bag. It's all been done to death before and if they spend this season gradually exposing slices of the future and then filling in the blanks I'll be really disappointed. I just can't persuade my brain to accept the way they suggest time travel works. It's always the same - 'you can't change the future' except you can and then this is covered by the present of some temporal manager upstairs finding creative ways to fix the human-perceived problems of the meddling. It's like Final Destination - death in that isn't a natural force, it's a human being with a flair for finding subtle ways of fixing problems. I can't get my head around the blatant 'plot device with serious holes in it, but just go with it' feel of this.

....what the fuck? Where is the new episode? This is the 2nd hour of last weeks!

And what is with the stupid subtitle thing? I don't need everything explained to me!

Edit: Nevermind....but why re-show the second episode?

Edited by Private First Class Ruki

I guess ABC just has nothing better to show right now at the time slot before Lost. And the subtitles things is something they do anytime they run a rerun of Lost. They call it "Enhanced Lost" and its to help people catch up if they've missed stuff.

Actually, that's a good question. I know that Desmond sort of talks to Daniel when he's on the boat and flipping out with the sickness, but does he ever actually like...meet him to know that prior?

Yeah they do, I'm 95% certain on that. It's irrelevant anyway, John met Richard and Ethan yet he encountered them when flipping through time.

*downloads episode 2 now, well episode 3*

Brilliant so far. I'm still gutted I never watched Season 1 hardly what so ever and only half of Season 2, because you really do need to see pretty much every single episode. I'm loving it right now though, Season 4 was great so I've got high expectations for this season. I really don't know where they'll go with this time travelling stuff, which is why I love this programme, it's just greatly unpredictable to me.

Oh and Hugo in that last episode was really spot on. I think they're working him in really well and it's interesting to see where they're going with him. I don't see how they're going to work round what happened in the last episode.

Also, bring back Claire, I miss her :(