Albums That Never End

Benji

We've all done it I'm sure.

One day you heard a song by [band Name Here] and decided you loved it enough to buy the album, and you listened to the album in full but that one song was still your favourite.

Skip forward a few months and you've listened to the album a few times and/or had a song come on shuffle and thought "actually this is good/better than that one song" and given the rest of the album a chance, a couple more songs stand out, and whilst the album is still great, it's still very much a "great song, good song" ratio.

Skip forward a year or two and you notice that EVERY song on the album is a favourite, even ones you originally thought as poor have become instant classics for you to listen to and it's innevitable that at least one song from the album is one your current playlist/most listened to, if not several.

I mention this because it happened with Billy Talent. I loved them since I first heard them, but certain songs just weren't songs I'd choose to listen to, but I'd enjoy if they came on. Several years later it's happened with both I and II, every single song has me totally oblivious to anything else until it's over and "The River Below" has become one of my personal all-time favourites.

So quite simply, which bands/albums did this happen to you with and how often did it take for you to discover how great it all was?

"Gold" by Ryan Adams. I bought it ages ago because I liked the single "New York, New York". Didn't get into the rest of the album at all and it was just dead weight on my iPod for a while until various songs would pop up on my shuffle until I began to love them all. Now it is quite possibly my favourite album,

Master of Puppets by Metallica. At first, I only cared for the title track. Then I developed a love for Battery and Sanitarium. Now the full album is just awesome.

Edit: In fact, I'd now say MOP is one of my least favourite tracks on the album.

Edited by Footjob Fever

Limp Bizkit's "Chocolate Starfish". I was 12 when I had it, so didn't really like the uber-sweary ones like "Hotdog", and mainly went for "My Way", "Rollin'", "Take a Look Around" and "Hold On". ABout a year or two on, "Getcha Groove On" ft. Xzibit grew on me, and then later on so did "Hotdog" itself. And only over the past year has "The One" became possibly my favourite Bizkit track.

Images And Words by Dream Theater. At first, I was only really a fan of Pull Me Under. Slowly, the rest of the CD started to grow on me, starting with Take The Time and Under A Glass Moon. Now it's one of my favourite CDs and is almost always playing in my car.

M.I.A. - Kala

It seems like everytime I revisit the album, it's a new favorite. At first I thought there was five strong songs on the album. Now, every song has probably been my favorite at one point or another. Even my least favorite album at one point - 20 Dollar - has grown on me and I think it's amazing (especially when played live, because god dammit the bass is CRAZY loud on that song). I'd say it took me about a full calender year before I sat back and said "best album of the last decade" and really soaked it all in. It's immense.

Edited by PunkRockPete

Have to agree with Billy Talent, great album, also I might even suggest that Billy Talent II would also might be right there.

I-Empire from Angels and Airwaves. I initially thought that only like 2 songs stood out (Everything's Magic and Secret Crowds) but I have come to realise that every song on that album is amazing in it's own way. I still listen to the album in full every now and again.

Enema of the State - every song is a classic to me. My favorite blink-182 album, followed closely by Dude Ranch

ones that might be getting there: '59 Sound by The Gaslight Anthem: each song is great and I have been listening to them for like 3 months tops and the entire album is growing on me.

Also Box Car Racer is another album that builds upon each song and makes a great album.

and thats all I can think of right now

Skip forward a year or two and you notice that EVERY song on the album is a favourite, even ones you originally thought as poor have become instant classics for you to listen to and it's innevitable that at least one song from the album is one your current playlist/most listened to, if not several.

:mellow:

:mellow:

Awful wording, whoever wrote that should be ashamed :shifty:

Honestly, like every album I've thoroughly enjoyed has been like that. Stand out is Wolf Parade's Apologies To The Queen Mary, at first I thought, the fuck this is a gay Arcade Fire, then I listened to it again a month later with full focus and was all :o I'll Believe In Anything then :o This Hearts On Fire then :o every other song and now Grounds For Divorce is like my most played song.

The Smiths The Queen is Dead happened like this to me, too. Same with every Magnetic Fields album which has made them my favorite band as I always fall in love with all kinds of songs. Even lately I've fallen in love with "I'm Sorry That I Love You", which I never thought I'd love that much. <_<

I didn't buy the album because of the song, I bought it because of the band, but Lavatory Love Machine quickly surfaced as a favourite from Edguy's Hellfire Club album. The sort of track that sometimes you just *only* play that track. However, I bought a shitty MP3 player that only had forwards, backwards and play buttons on it (i.e., no LCD screen), so you pretty much had to listen to whole albums on it, and I soon realised that when given a chance it's one of my favourite albums of all time. Every single song (excluding the 32 second ambient track that serves as an intro to Lucifer In Love) is genius and I love it. Now, my favourite would probably be Navigator, or The Piper Never Dies.

Firewind's Allegiance is starting to show signs of this now too. At first it was all about Falling To Pieces and the title track, but I'm starting to get into some other songs on there now, especially Ready To Strike. Still not a fan of Dreamchaser though.

Also, I know it's not cool to like them any more (but lets face it, I have never be accused of being cool), Dragonforce's Sonic Firestorm is a masterpiece. Sure, the new album is wank, and Inhuman Rampage was largely mediocre, but fuck you, Sonic Firestorm OWNED FACE. Soliders of the Wasteland is the clear high point, but there's not a single bad song of the album. Never used to like Once In A Lifetime much, but I've no idea why now. It's not a favourite or anything but it's just as good as the others, and Dawn Over A New World is one of those rare Dragonforce songs where the lyrics are almost meaningful. :shifty:

Edited by Farmer Reil

"Something To Write Home About" by The Get Up Kids...I strangely always preferred "4 Minute Mile" and "Guilt Show" to it for a long while, but it was near non-stop listening to "Ten Minutes" which won me over. Then of course there's "I'll Catch You", "I'm A Loner Dottie, A Rebel", "Red Letter Day", "Valentine", "Holiday", "The Company Dime"...I think at one point every track on here has been my favourite, currently I'm in the camp of "Close To Home", and now it's easily my favourite Get Up Kids album.

Almost any Coheed album come to think of it...

*listen through once*

"So I like X, Y and Z... I'll listen to them more"

*X leads onto another song in a playthrough*

"hmm this is pretty good, I'll start listening to that now"

and so on...

I guess it doesn't help that four of their albums is technically supposed to be one album so it's almost a neverending story >_<