NFL 2009

livid

I'm pretty happy with what the Lions did. They got the #1 QB, #1 TE, and #1 Safety. That's not bad. Besides, they're in a position where they're not going to contend next year. They have so many holes that it was best for them to draft the most talented players, rather than picking guys to fill holes (which they have a lot of).

Really? You draft the most talented players rather than draft to fill holes because you have a lot of holes? That's your logic?

...really?

It's not a bad philosophy.

If you have a need at practically every position like Detroit does, why force yourself to choose a player to fill a hole and reach when you could simply let the board play out, stay true to your own board, and take the best player available regardless of position?

Some of the best teams in the NFL do that, and granted they do it when they don't have holes to fill, but really is reaching for a DT in the 2nd round when the best player available (and best value) is a linebacker going to hurt at all when you need talent?

This is what I was talking about. Why reach to take an offensive lineman to fill a hole when your top-rated tight end is still on the board? Why take a middle linebacker that isn't exactly what you're looking for when you have the best safety out there? You don't go just by position, the Lions had holes everwhere. You take the best players that you can find, period.

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, who saw his quarterback go undrafted and his star wide receiver slip down in the first round of the NFL draft, had plenty to say about both situations after the proceedings ended.

Leach's record-setting quarterback, Graham Harrell, wasn't among the 256 players picked in the seven rounds of the NFL draft. Meanwhile, Texas A&M's Stephen McGee, who didn't start much of his senior season, went in the fourth round (the 101st pick) to the Dallas Cowboys.

"I'm happy for Stephen McGee," Leach told The Dallas Morning News. "The Dallas Cowboys like him more than his coaches at A&M did."

McGee had a strong showing in front of NFL scouts at the combine. Harrell struggled at the Senior Bowl.

Leach, however, said the NFL has a long track record of picking its quarterbacks poorly. "The truth of the matter is that the NFL drafts quarterbacks notoriously bad," said Leach, according to the Morning News. "That's indisputable. ..."

Harrell won't necessarily be out of work for long. His agent, Chad Speck, said he will participate in the Browns' rookie minicamp.

Meanwhile, Leach said that Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini is to blame for former Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree falling to the 10th pick in the first round. Reports out of Cleveland said that the Browns didn't like Crabtree's attitude when he visited the team prior to the draft.

"Michael Crabtree has been more successful as a receiver than that guy as a coach at this point," Leach said of Mangini, according to media reports of a conference call. "Part of the reason is [Crabtree's] too shy to be like that."

Leach said Crabtree isn't a "diva."

"My definition of a diva is someone who's loud and self-absorbed," Leach told reporters. "Michael Crabtree is the furthest thing from loud that I've seen. ... Let's see how all those non-divas do up in Cleveland this year."

Wow..thats quite a rant. Sour grapes much?

I'm pretty happy with what the Lions did. They got the #1 QB, #1 TE, and #1 Safety. That's not bad. Besides, they're in a position where they're not going to contend next year. They have so many holes that it was best for them to draft the most talented players, rather than picking guys to fill holes (which they have a lot of).

Really? You draft the most talented players rather than draft to fill holes because you have a lot of holes? That's your logic?

...really?

It's not a bad philosophy.

If you have a need at practically every position like Detroit does, why force yourself to choose a player to fill a hole and reach when you could simply let the board play out, stay true to your own board, and take the best player available regardless of position?

Some of the best teams in the NFL do that, and granted they do it when they don't have holes to fill, but really is reaching for a DT in the 2nd round when the best player available (and best value) is a linebacker going to hurt at all when you need talent?

This is what I was talking about. Why reach to take an offensive lineman to fill a hole when your top-rated tight end is still on the board? Why take a middle linebacker that isn't exactly what you're looking for when you have the best safety out there? You don't go just by position, the Lions had holes everwhere. You take the best players that you can find, period.

Certain positions hold more value than others. QB and LT are two of the most valued positions in the entire NFL, and for the Lions to not pick up what can end up being a franchise LT in Oher (and a top 10 talent by most accounts) to pick up just a TE (granted, a very talented TE, but just a TE nonetheless) is pretty ridiculous, especially considering their o-line gave up.. what? Over 50 sacks last season? Good-great TE's can be found in the later rounds, especially in this draft which had a pretty deep pool. Good-great left tackles, on the other hand, are damn rare to come by after the first half of the first round of the draft. Although if they're basically giving up on the season, and banking on playing Culpepper this year, drafting their franchise LT in the top 5 of next year's draft and THEN starting Stafford, I guess it makes some sense.. just.. not much.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

So out of the three teams (that I'm aware of) that have new jerseys, two of them suck. I like Detroit's:

p5922417dt.jpg

But Jacksonville's isn't as good as their old one:

p5922383dt.jpg

And I know the 49ers are going with a bit of an old school look but I much prefer the drop shadow and gold trim.

p5898998dt.jpg

What's with the new collars on the Jags and 49ers jerseys?

Could be, though I don't think anyone knew for sure the Steelers would cut Foote because it definitely came as a surprise to Steelers fans. I assumed he'd play out his contract, but alas he's a cap casualty.

He's a very solid player who most teams would be thrilled to have.

Good lord Shelton Brown needs to grow a set of balls and shut the fuck up..from an article on ESPN

If I get demoted to the fourth corner, that's the way it will be," Brown said. "I fought for what I believed in and that's how it's always going to be with me. If Ellis is good, he'll play, I know that. Everybody knows that. They've been trying to give my job away every year."

Good lord! He's STILL upset about a comment Jim Johnson made a few years ago. When we had Will Peterson William James, Johnson made a comment during training camp, in order to motivate Shelton, to the effect of "Will and Shelton are competing to start opposite Lito" Everyone knew it was a BS comment made to try and get Shelton to perform better...mostly due the fact that if Johnson was serious about James being a starter, then Johnson had finally lost it and deserved to be put in a nice quiet retirement home. Did Shelton take it like that? No...he's used it ever since as "Well they don't want me starting" cry bait.

Generally, I side with the players during stuff like this. I was mad when Duce sat out, but understood he wanted a new contract and retire as an Eagle. Same with Dawkins...he wanted to retire an Eagle, but could get top dollar from another team. Owens was a different story, and Shelton is the same.

He's handled this whole thing bad from the beginning. He went on the radio and said "They don't want me in that locker room" and "Maybe I'll show up to minicamp just to shake things up" Basically saying he'll cause trouble just to get traded. Way to kill your trade value there buddy.

Well at least Parcells gave John Beck a fair shot in Miami. :rolleyes:

Why roll your eyes? They signed Chad Pennington, they drafted Chad Henne to eventually take over the team. Oh I forgot, this is pee-wee where everyone should get equal chances.

Not saying it's "pee wee" by any means, but way to get sassy for no reason whatsoever. Before Parcells came in, Beck was drafted. When Parcells came in, he let it be known that he wanted his team and his own quarterback, which is fine, because he actually is really turning them around. But the guy wasn't given a fair shot in his short tenure there, was my point. As you said, they signed Pennington, and drafted Henne, and he was pushed to the side without them really giving him a reason to. That's my feelings on the subject. And THAT's why I rolled my eyes. (Y)

Still no reason to roll your eyes. It's a professional league. I could see the point if he was signed one week and released the next. He's been there a couple years, if he had the talent to lead and win then Miami would have kept him and possibly have him as the #2. Parcell's is an excellent evaluator, and it's obvious Beck isn't good enough for the Dolphins. He's free to sign elsewhere and take a shot, but by no means was he not given a fair shot. Parcells and staff kept him on the depth chart and he didn't beat anyone out.

..but they don't need to give him anything when they have Chad Pennington.

What kind of shot to do you expect him to have when Pennington's bringing them 11-5? They need to cut down their quarterbacks for this season so they can use Pat White, and Chad Henne is their quarterback for the future who've they developed purely themselves.. then there's John Beck.

I don't think he even should've had such a good chance. Colt Brennan hasn't had a shot yet, Jared Lorenzen hasn't had a shot yet, it's just how it works. :/

Well, he's been there two years. And as I said, as soon as Parcells took the job in Miami, he all but said he didn't want Beck to lead the team. I'm not denying he isn't an excellent evaluator of talent. I know he is. But Beck was hardly given any time to prove his worth (2nd round pick just a couple years ago). I rolled my eyes, and I still feel it's deserved, because this was something that was bound to happen from the day Parcells took over.

Well, he's been there two years. And as I said, as soon as Parcells took the job in Miami, he all but said he didn't want Beck to lead the team. I'm not denying he isn't an excellent evaluator of talent. I know he is. But Beck was hardly given any time to prove his worth (2nd round pick just a couple years ago). I rolled my eyes, and I still feel it's deserved, because this was something that was bound to happen from the day Parcells took over.

Yes, because he doesn't have to ever prove himself in practice or camps. Clearly he was never given a chance in the two odd years he's been in the league.