NFL 2009

livid

Defenses can score too y'know. Look at the Bears a few years ago, Mike Brown had back to back overtime-winning pick 6's (actually it may have beent wice in three weeks thinking about it). Why the argument is absurd I'm not sure, I don't see how having to play well on defense is a problem. Besides, if it's that unfair, do your job in the first four quarters and you won't have to worry about it. Having to play a fifth quarter is stupid, the best idea was the 6 points one, but I've no problem with keeping it as is.

That'd be great and all, but the other team didn't do their job either ...

• Like 1

I was going to post something about how the 'Skins suck..but with how my Eagles are playing against the Raiders, I do't have any room to talk (N)

Yeah but 95% sure it's harder to score when the balls not in your hands than when it is :shifty:

Just because sometimes it happens doesn't mean it's not sketchy; defenses can stop people and they can score but you don't see anybody in overtime choosing that their defense go out first for a reason; because they have a much better chance of scoring with their offense as opposed to their defense and that's an advantage I think

I doooooonno just sayin'

I can't find where I read it, I didn't want to post without any semblance of proof, but some sportswriter, possibly Peter King, came up with a statistic that the winner of the coin flip wins something like 52% of the games played, which would indicate it's not really that much of an advantage.

I like Don Banks' point in this article, if you give each team a possession, the second team has an unfair advantage in that they don't have to worry about punting on fourth down.

And I found that Peter King stat:

Peter King

• GOOD QUESTION ABOUT OVERTIME. From Brandon, of Milford, Iowa: "Do you think the NFL should adopt the same overtime rules as they have in college? Alternating possessions and then, after the third OT, they have to go for two. Can you imagine if the Jets and Pats would have traded scores a couple of times Thursday night and the excitement it could generate?''

How's the weather out in Iowa today, Brandon? Bet it's chilly. I've never been in favor of the college overtime rule for pro football, but I have been a constant advocate of the rule that each team should have one possession, minimum, in overtime. It's ridiculous that a coin flip should have so much bearing on the outcome of a pro football game, and I don't want to hear that the team that won the toss and received the ball to start overtime has won only 54 percent of the overtime games on that first possession in the history of the system. I wouldn't care if it were 50 percent, or 42 percent. Every game takes on an individual quality, and the fact that you HAND the ball to a team to start a period without the other team being assured it will have an equal chance to score has always been patently unfair.

The proposal I favor has been shot down by the Competition Committee on several occasions. The winner of the overtime coin flip would get a possession, and the other team would get a possession, and if one team does not have more points than the other at the end of the two possessions, then the team that scores next wins. I've heard lots of arguments against it, but most notably that a defense can win a game in overtime by stopping the coin-flip winner on the first possession ... and that it would needlessly add time to games already destined to be three-and-a-half hours long. Fairness overrides each one of those arguments.

Officials in the Eagles/Raiders game suck..they've missed SO many called

Jaguars and Seahawks cost me some serious fucking money today.

And, it looks like Eagles and Jets will, too.

What a terrible day. :(

But seriously, WTF Jacksonville? How the fuck do you NOT cover 10 against the fucking Rams? Especially going into a bye week? How the FUCK do you let them take you to OT?!

:(

I'm fucking ashamed of beign a Titan fan. That was a completely massacre, why the fuck wouldn't they put VY in, Collins is already on his way out, he already gave what he had to give and we thank him for that but come on Fisher, put VY in. The season is over already, it's time to start thinking about the future and VY is the future (at least for now).

On a sidenote, the Cardinals and the Seahawks seem like they play good when they feel like it, some games they slack off and some they play like they are Super Bowl bound. Watch Tom Brady get a second wind with this beating against the Titans, I mean seriously 5 TDs in one quarter? it will bust his morale up and the Patriots are coming back as the good ole' Pats we all know. As for the Saints, there's nothing much to say, they kick ass, they kick it hard and they are the most underrated team in the league, 5-0 and still not getting as much attention as the rest.

• Like 2