"Soccer" is destroying America!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football is as popular as it is as much because of the whole 'jumpers for goalposts' factor, where anyone with a ball and hell, two sticks stuck in the ground or two bits of clothing, can 'play' football. I mean, its ingrained in our society now, but I think it also helps in poorer countries that literally anyone can play, and it costs peanuts to do it.

I don't really want to get into an argument about the sports, which one is better, and all that usual kit and caboodle. I watch football, American Football, Ice Hockey, Rugby League/Union and several other sports. The only thing I always take issue with is rugby vs american football 'who is the toughest?' things, which DMN brought up. To be honest, it gets a bit like those 'who would beat who in a real fight?' topics that used to pop up in the wrestling forums, but I do think some Americans come across as quite dismissive about the actual toughness of rugby players. I'm not going to pull the 'rugby for pussies' card, because that IS BS, but I'm personally more impressed by the ability to spend a solid 80 minutes on a pitch in rucks, mauls and taking/giving tackles than doing it in 5-10 second bursts. The hits as a whole in US football are probably harder, no doubt, but rugby guys are impressively tough for all the shit they go through. At the end of the day, both groups of players are fucking tougher than I'm ever going to be >_>

I´ll just use soccer for football and football for american football here...

Whats the big deal? In germany there is a well suportet football, basketball, Hocky and Soccer League... no one seems to have trubble with it. I like Soccer, but i´ed never get into arguments with people that watch the other sports over here... heck i even regularly visit the soccer stadium with a guy that plays football.

Wouldent that be the american way on paper? Just chose what you like and do it?

And besides, Soccer dos not neccecearly score less than classic some american Sports. Break down Football to one Point per tuchdown and it looks much closer together than wen you award 7 (or 6 but who ever misses that extra point?) per TD. And as fare as i remember Baseball it dos not have to score that much either, right? But games can last up to 6 houres or something like that? Not to speak of Hocky wich is a lot like Hocky wen it comes to the amount of scoreing (but i feel thats more of a canadian sport anyway issent it? - Last thing i heared is that loads of teams went bankrub years ago)... the only one left is Baseketball wich realy issent an American Sport if you look at the amount of sucsesfull Profesional Leagues all over the world... the just have the most money and the higest prestige in america, thats why the best players go there... still it´s almost as international than soccer is in europe were the best international leagues of the sport named soccer are.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Any sport that involves hitting a ball with a stick is boring. Except snooker.

And elephant polo.

That's a retarded reason.

Any sport involving hitting a ball with your foot is boring.

You could make it so that almost any sport will be trivialized down to a statement like that.

Football is as popular as it is as much because of the whole 'jumpers for goalposts' factor, where anyone with a ball and hell, two sticks stuck in the ground or two bits of clothing, can 'play' football. I mean, its ingrained in our society now, but I think it also helps in poorer countries that literally anyone can play, and it costs peanuts to do it.

By that logic, I should have gone pro in Tag, British Bulldog or Stuck in the Mud years ago.

I find football(thats the english one)very exiting and American football very boring because of one reason...I grew up in england so its what I am used to and you need alot of skill.American football I have many problams with a few are;

Dosn't flow

I find the scoring stupidly high

any weight can play while in football you have to be fit with few exceptions

Broken up into quarters which is really dosn't flow like I said before.

People are saying it dosn't require skill to play with feet and it is boring YOU PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!!!!!

I think that it dosn't aquire skill to just tackle people or throw a ball and I think people playing piggy in the middle is boring

I think it is easier to aim a throw right than a pass with your foot.

Alot of you will disagree but that is my opinon so I won't reply to you. Remember this is the sport I am grew up with so that is why I like it

I find football(thats the english one)very exiting and American football very boring because of one reason...I grew up in england so its what I am used to and you need alot of skill.American football I have many problams with a few are;

Dosn't flow

People are saying it dosn't require skill to play with feet and it is boring YOU PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!!!!!

I think that it dosn't aquire skill to just tackle people or throw a ball and I think people playing piggy in the middle is boring

Alot of you will disagree but that is my opinon so I won't reply to you. Remember this is the sport I am grew up with so that is why I like it

Well I think that's the argument adequately finished with.

Soccer wins.

America is now completely destroyed because of it.

Who's next!?

Dosn't flow

I hate when people come into a discussion, make horrible arguments and possibly realising that they've made themselves out to be a complete fucking tool, offer up the disclaimer that "it's my opinion I'm not lsitening to you ner ner ne ner ner". You've entered a discussion thread, and you've made a stupid argument, prepare for the rebuttals, or don't bother posting at all.

Ugh. How someone can issue with points being too high I'll never understand, what difference does it really make, a goal could be worth five points, it's the same value within the scheme of the game. I digress, that's the least irritating point of your post.

I imagine you've never actually tried to throw an accurate spiral more than twelve feet, there's inherently less skill to making a pass, but I do acknowledge that there's obviously the pace of teh guy you're passing to, weighting it etc. etc. to take into account (and there are similar factors with throwing the ball too, not least of which being the 250+ lbs. guys running at top speed with their only intention being to make a quarterback-shaped dent in the turf.

You have to be fit to play American football, especially the skill positions. They're not all lardy motherfuckers, and even the ones who are are at least strong as hell.

I won't touch your quarters argument, because quite frankly, that comment was fractionist, and I can't allow such prejudice to sully up our boards. Besides everyone knows the third is the new half.

At least we're not dealing with any "they wear pads, they're all fags, rugby players don't wear pads. RAWR"

That usually suffices the reason why, although he is dead now so it's up to Ed Reed and the like to keep the use of pads around <_<

Playing rugby in the middle of winter in tiny, flimsy rugby shorts was never much fun :P

Anyway it's decided - all sports have a right to exist and to be enjoyed (except NASCAR and Seal Clubbing) and each have strengths and weaknesses.

I'm from the south of England so love football, cricket and rugby union as team sports. Others are from America and love gridiron, basketball and even baseball.

So now that the US has been destroyed let us take our football and destroy.......

CANADA!

By that logic, I should have gone pro in Tag, British Bulldog or Stuck in the Mud years ago.

Well, there's a reason that football is the only sport you see the little poor kids in Africa play during those care videos :shifty:

That's a very good point, Liam. The British brought football with them to Africa, and now look where they are. War torn, impovrished, starving, without a common language or meaningful education. Signs are, from the economy and education especially, that America is experiencing the exact same effects. It's only a matter of time until you see poor little kids in trailer parks on TV commercials asking for 35 pence a day.