Metallica - S & M.

FLiam

Yes, Rush in Rio and Rock in Rio (Rush and Maiden, respectively) are both better because of the sheer intensity of the crowd. Not by much, though, and S&M wins points because it features the greatest version of Battery ever recorded, but the ...in Rios are better. At Rush in Rio, the crowd sings along to YYZ - and that's an instrumental.

Bah, Rush.

Live Cannibalism is one of my personal favorites. The sound is great, the music is great, the crowd is insane and everything adds up for it be completely awesome. But S&M is a good live album yes, just not the best.

Yes, Rush in Rio and Rock in Rio (Rush and Maiden, respectively) are both better because of the sheer intensity of the crowd. Not by much, though, and S&M wins points because it features the greatest version of Battery ever recorded, but the ...in Rios are better. At Rush in Rio, the crowd sings along to YYZ - and that's an instrumental.

Fuck that, ska kids are the way forward...fuck singing words, they only sing trumpet parts.

Fuck that, ska kids are the way forward...fuck singing words, they only sing trumpet parts.

Those guys were singing the guitar parts! It gives me chills!

S&M is nothing special. The band is sloppy, the songs don't work well with the orchestra and the band is not that good to begin with. The orchestration brings very little to the table.

I actually own this on CD, but I think I own about 10-15 better live albums. I'm quite a big live album fan and tend to buy lots from bands I like. Too many to start naming, but I guess my favourite heavy metal live album is Iced Earth's Alive in Athens. Then there's Testament's Live at the Fillmore, Judas Priest's Unleashed in the East, Rainbow On Stage, Blind Guardian Live, Annihilator's Double Live Annihilation, Dio's Holy Diver Live... there's even better albums with a band featuring a symphony orchestra like the Waltari one, Within Temptation and the newer Deep Purple one (the one without Ritchie Blackmore).

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Rush in Rio one is okay, but the audience ruins it for me. The same goes for the Bruce Dickinson Scream for me Brazil!. Damn those South American soccer chants...

Edited by lari

This.

Clearly none of you have listened to Frightened Rabbit's live album. Or Belle & Sebastian Live In Belfast. Or Bob Dylan at the Royal Albert Hall 1966. Or Concert: The Cure Live. Or James Taylor Live. Or Keith Jarrett Live In Cologne. Or Live Rust by Neil Young. Or Tripping The Live Fantastic by Paul McCartney. Or Get Your Ya Ya's out by The Rolling Stones. Or even Rank by The Smiths. For shame!

I'd personally say this title belongs to Pink Floyd - Pulse.

I wouldn't know if it's the best one ever but Pulse is by far the best live show I've ever seen. Easily the best performance of Comfortably Numb, and hat makes it so much cooler is by supervisor was actually at the concert >_>

S&M's just as overrated as anything else by Metallica. It's by no means bad, just average. Quite possibily my favourite Metallica release though.

QF absolute T.

Blind Guardian Live is the best live album ever, bar none (though Alive in Athens comes close). S&M is a decent novelty gimmick. Nothing more. Rock in Rio is great, but I've seen them at Twickenham now, so... doesn't really compare now.

Also, lawwwll at KISS even being mentioned in this thread. Even KISS would tell you that KISS fucking suck :P Unless you've got a pyrotechnics rig in your living room, and a gullible insurance company, there's no way a KISS live album is even bearable. A live SHOW, maybe. Because they were excellent showmen. But a live album... KISS making music with no editing, re-recording or production... yeah, I think I'll pass.

Edited by Farmer Reil