Tell me about TV shows.

K

I do find it funny that The Office and 30 Rock are sort of being rendered obsolete by Parks & Recreation and Community, both of which respectively do comparable styles of humor to the older shows and do them much more effectively. Admittedly the Community vs. 30 Rock comparison is a little bit of a stretch, but both shows are so firmly entrenched in pop culture jokes that I think it works.

Parks & Recreation has consistently been the best show on NBC's Thursday block since... probably two or three episodes into the second season. About the time they realized that just because it's a show by the people who made The Office done in the style of The Office doesn't mean it actually has to try to be The Office.

Holy shit, did anybody watch the latest episode of Breaking Bad ("One Minute")?

I casually watch the show; I'm not as into it as others, but that may just be the best episode in the series, and one of my favorite episodes, ever, from any TV show.

Wow.

The only part of Breaking Bad I'm finding interesting at the moment are those creepy Mexican twins. They didn't say any words at all in the first two episodes and came off as huge badasses. Are they still as awesome later on in the season?

Parks & Recreation has consistently been the best show on NBC's Thursday block since... probably two or three episodes into the second season. About the time they realized that just because it's a show by the people who made The Office done in the style of The Office doesn't mean it actually has to try to be The Office.

I haven't watched Parks and Recreation in awhile, has it really gotten that much better? Last time I watched it, it came off like an even more awkward version of the Office, and I can't stand that uncomfortable, awkward type of humor. Community has been outstanding though, much better than The Office and 30 Rock by far. It's my favorite comedy show at the moment (although I haven't watched Modern Family, which I've heard is pretty good too)

Edited by Hellfire

See the above post, and I will keep making that post until the end of time. Like, in terms of cringe comedy The Office has been ratcheting it up a lot this season (last week's episode and the Date Mike episode; even if both ended well for Michael you had to sit through a whole lot of painfully awkward to get there) and Parks... I mean, it's there because with that style of humor and that premise you can't avoid it, but it's very light.

Holy shit, did anybody watch the latest episode of Breaking Bad ("One Minute")?

I casually watch the show; I'm not as into it as others, but that may just be the best episode in the series, and one of my favorite episodes, ever, from any TV show.

Wow.

The only part of Breaking Bad I'm finding interesting at the moment are those creepy Mexican twins. They didn't say any words at all in the first two episodes and came off as huge badasses. Are they still as awesome later on in the season?

I agree, but keep on watching until at least One Minute. It's worth it, in my opinion.

And yes, the cousins are pretty badass.

I've been watching Mad Men, which I'm sure has been mentioned in here...possibly even by me, I can't remember. I've made it all the way to season 3 now though and it's getting better with every episode. So many storylines to follow and the characters are fantastic. The only part I didn't like/understand was Don's extended California trip in season 2...

I've been watching like - five episodes of Parks & Recreation a night.. I simply can't get enough of the show, it's pretty friggin' awesome.

I lauged my ass off at the opening in 'The Fourth Floor' when the popcorn vendor pops in and scares the shit out of her - I had to rewind it like 50 times.

• 2 weeks later...

Lie To Me was really dull. I went and watched the newest two seasons of Numb3rs instead. :(

Edit: I don't know if I've thanked people in this thread, but I really appreciate all the suggestions.

I watch all this stuff while I'm working at home, or commuting. You're keeping me sane.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kinda out of TV shows to watch , so I'm wondering what EWB could recommend me.

I love :

House M.D.

Scrubs

Californication

The Big Bang Theory

How I Met Your Mother

I like :

Heroes

The King of Queens

Two and a Half Men

Hope this gives you some kind of idea what kind of show I'm looking for. I also watched a couple of other shows but I didn't like them that much. I only watched Season 1 of Heroes is the rest any good?

Watched like the first three Sopranos episodes, but somehow wasn't into it. Which is strange because I normally enjoy stuff like that.Do the episodes get better?

Anyways, thanks for any recommendations (Y)

I liked Heroes but I didn't like the direction the show was going at the beginning of Season 2 (watched the first episode).I'll check out The 4400, thanks :rolleyes:

Edited by fr34k

Party Down is sort of like a more HBO take on shows like The Office and Parks & Recreation. If you like shows with the basic premise of those two programs and also like the level of "oh, that's wrong" humor that shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm can reach, you'll love Party Down.

Hilariously, HBO turned Party Down down because they wanted a more upscale, Entourage-like show which would have defeated the entire premise of the series.