Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Hull were doing quite poorly, really. I wouldn't say he deserved the sack, but he wasn't exactly going to do much else with them. He did a great job, but maybe it was time for them to go looking for someone else?

As the Sky Sports article above may indicate, it may be a case of having lost everyone. It could be the best thing for them all.

Only saw the first half but I feel like Gerrard was rather shown up by Aquilani and Maxi tonight. Maybe he picked up in the second half but he certainly had a first half on par with how he has been normally playing this season. Which isn't great.

He didn't pick up at all. Another poor performance and his attitude wasn't much better either.

Rest of the team was good though, especially Aquilani. Ran the show, can't see him starting the next two games though - in which case I'd rather save him for the Mancs.

Hull set to sign Iain Dowie. *slow clap* *really slow clap*

I prefer a golf clap in this situation:

Has to be said though, this appointment can be seen as a great example of Hull looking towards the future. After all, there aren't many managers about that know more about managing at Championship level than Iain Dowie. shifty.gif

Edited by badotori

I believe Gary Megson is still on "gardening leave" too and from what I gather that essentially means they are being paid to sit at home and therefore cannot take another job in the meantime. Lucky for Hull fans, otherwise they might've got him. >_>

And I believe Dowie is only contracted to the end of the season. But to be honest I doubt he'll be able to do any better than Phil Brown could've done.

Hull's run in doesn't seem that hard objectively... but for the team 19th in the league it won't go as smoothly as it should, no doubt. They've got a few winnable games coming up, but I doubt Dowie is the man to inspire confidence.

I believe Gary Megson is still on "gardening leave" too and from what I gather that essentially means they are being paid to sit at home and therefore cannot take another job in the meantime. Lucky for Hull fans, otherwise they might've got him. >_>

Megson can't be on gardening leave can he? Surely if a replacement is appointed then tha gardening leave ends as the replacement is fulfilling the same job. I dunno...

Anyway, Dowie might not be a bad appointment really...he does have experience at the foot of the Premier League with Palace and to an extent Newcastle last season. I still can't see them staying up though.

Megson can't be on gardening leave can he? Surely if a replacement is appointed then tha gardening leave ends as the replacement is fulfilling the same job. I dunno...

Anyway, Dowie might not be a bad appointment really...he does have experience at the foot of the Premier League with Palace and to an extent Newcastle last season. I still can't see them staying up though.

There is nothing saying you can't have two managers, so I assume it is a way of avoiding having to pay a large severance package, I guess.

There is nothing saying you can't have two managers, so I assume it is a way of avoiding having to pay a large severance package, I guess.

I remember him saying it on a Goals On Sunday I think if that helps, but yeah that's the way I remember him explaining it. And it was after Coyle's appointment IIRC. As mentioned, it's probably better to just pay the guy in dribs and drabs of a salary rather than blow a lot of money on just paying off the contract.

My link

Uh, so the plan at Portsmouth behind this "super deal" to keep them in business partly relies on the advance spending that got them there in the first place. Wow.

Also, screw a special deal to let them sell players in advance of the window and keep them on until the season is over.

I know it's harsh ... but fuck you Portsmouth. You blew it as an organization. Deal with the administration and risk of going under completely just like every other soccer team in England/Europe that has faced the same thing.

I mean, what happens if you sell Dindane to WH before the end of the season and then he breaks his leg in two places ? You going to refund ? Probably not because that money is already spent on debt and administration servicing. So then WH is stuck with an incoming player that is worthless/may not be at the level they bought him ever again ? Hell no.

meh, sorry ... this whole deal just pisses me off. It sucks for Portsmouth yes, but the facts remain. The situation is happening and every other team has had to face it. You do to.

• Like 1

I mean, what happens if you sell Dindane to WH before the end of the season and then he breaks his leg in two places ? You going to refund ? Probably not because that money is already spent on debt and administration servicing. So then WH is stuck with an incoming player that is worthless/may not be at the level they bought him ever again ? Hell no.

That's the risk West Ham take if they decide to buy him now.

That's the risk West Ham take if they decide to buy him now.

Yeah, I know that. It's secondary to the point however.

More to the point, didn't West Ham just buy a fuckload of strikers? Or are some on loan?

I believe only Mido is on loan (from Middlesbrough). Ilan was signed on a free transfer on a 6 month contract, which is about as close to a loan as you can get without technically being one. All their other strikers (Nouble etc.) they own.