Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Cudicini looked out of position for Cole's goal, but it was still a sweet strike.

I don't know if he was out of position as such, it looked like he should have been able to get a hand to it though. Perhaps the speed of the shot and the sun worked against him. Three great strikes in the game.

A practice match between a Chelsea reserve team and Qatari side Al-Ahli descended into violence and was abandoned after just 35 minutes.

Chelsea's players were reportedly assaulted with karate kicks, knee-high tackles and had their hair pulled out and eyes gouged.

Chelsea, who organised the game at short notice, had been given a top-class referee by the Football Association.

The FA are expected to conduct an investigation into the incident although the referee's report, already understood to be at the FA's new Wembley offices, points the blame directly at Al-Ahli.

On Saturday night, the English club tried to defuse the situation with a Chelsea spokesman declaring: "There was an unfortunate incident but it has been dealt with."

On Sunday, the club, whose first team take on Fulham at Craven Cottage later this afternoon, said they would be making no further comment about the matter.

The Chelsea side included some of the players on the fringe of the first-team squad. Goalkeeper Rhys Taylor, defender Jeffrey Bruma, Carl Magnay, Gael Kakuta and defender Jack Cork, now on loan at Coventry.

Cork was reported to have been repeatedly hit while in a headlock and an opponent is said to have poked his fingers up the nose of Gael Kakuta.

The trouble is understood to have started when left-back Ben Gordon was the recipient of a two-footed tackle above the knee.

The fracas was captured by Chelsea's TV channel but the club have since removed all references to the game from its official website.

The first-team players were enjoying a day off after their 3-1 win over Sunderland on Tuesday night but it is believed many of them have seen film of the incident.

Smart way for United to get rid of their title rivals I suppose? pay Qataris wipe out the reserves then go for the first team?

I was far more nervous for that match than the Liverpool game. Great heart from Spurs and fought hard after conceding which was relatively surprising. Great result, good battling win against a dirty West Ham team (nasty foot first jumping charge on Cudicini early on and Parker was dirty dirty in the first half especially with the late slide on Keane). A win away at West Ham is serious business and that's our best start in 50 years and therefore the best I've ever known. Glorious times.

Can't say I fault Kalinic for what happened yesterday. He didn't play one minute of pre season football for hadjuk split, played 0 minutes of pre season for us as he signed the day before the city match and only came on yesterday because Di Santo got injured, when his debut was set to be against Gillingham this week in the cup. Also, rovers fans on the main board saying he missed an open net at the death, sunderland had atleast 6 players that could have blocked it had it been on target.

Mmm, a lovely sunny day out in Fulham. The final whistle goes to a straight-forward Chelsea victory (in which Anelka got me a goal and an assist for Fantasy Football), at almost the same time that England win the Ashes, and a short while after Rubens Barrichello (Fantasy F1 team) wins the European GP.

I am, I think it's safe to say, mildly satisfied by the day's sporting events.

• Like 1

Next time I see my Villa supporting mate there's a chance I could crack him in the nose...

Was saying to everybody how our start was really an improvement on last season because I just felt like arguing (2 points up on the respective fixtures from last year!) but what a bunch of wank that was. I thought we were gonna put four or five past Villa today but we looked impotent. Until we can break teams down consistently we're not going to challenge, especially since I doubt players like Benayoun and Kuyt can replicate last season's form.

Just got back from Anfield what a night. I can't believe weve beaten Liverpool, let alone in an away game. We didn't play amazingly well and I have no idea how we pulled it off but we did. When Liverpool pulled one back I expected the flood gates to open but we somehow managed to dig in and hold out and eventually win the penalty that won us the game.

All is forgiven for the Wigan game! Could still do with Sneijder though shifty.gif .

It has occurred to me just now that the two goals against Spurs and two of the goals last night were as the result of the fact that Liverpool keep fouling anyone who gets into within 30 yards of our penalty area. Then of course we've got Lucas, Mascherano and Carragher playing together so it isn't that surprising that keeps happening :shifty:

It's disgraceful really. I can't imagine what some of the Millwall fans will come out with tonight against their local rivals West Ham, what with Calum Davenport & his mum being stabbed AND Jack Collison's dad being killed in a motorcycle accident over the weekend.

There isn't a Champions League thread so I figure I'll throw this in here. Arsene Wenger's comment on Eduardo's blatent dive to win a penalty against Celtic:

"I believe it was not a penalty but I'm not sure if the keeper touched him. Eduardo might be a bit cautious because of the injury that he had. He might have jumped out of the way."

:lmao: