Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

on MoTD2, Adria Chiles reported that the Referees Association are to issue an apology to Wenger for sending him to the stands. They say he shouldn't have been sent off.

EDIT: BBC report:

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is to get an apology from referees chief Keith Hackett over his dismissal during the Gunners' 2-1 loss to Manchester United.

Wenger was sent to the stands by ref Mike Dean in the dying moments of Saturday's match at Old Trafford.

Fourth official Lee Probert advised Dean after Wenger kicked a water bottle following a disallowed Arsenal goal.

League Managers Association chief Richard Bevan has been told by Hackett that Wenger will receive an apology.

"I've spoken to Keith Hackett and he fully recognises the situation was an error and an apology will follow to Arsene Wenger," said Bevan.

"Lee Probert totally failed to manage the situation and created a needless pressure point taking the focus away from the pitch in a big event with only a minute to go."

"Although correct in 'law', the decision was completely out of context in the game and it was followed by the nonsense which followed over where Arsene Wenger should sit."

After his sending off, Wenger was unaware of where to go and firstly moved to the Arsenal dugout and then the main stand at Old Trafford before being ushered along the touchline to the tunnel as the game concluded.

Wenger demonstrated his frustration in the final seconds of the match when his side were denied a late equaliser when William Gallas was adjudged offside in the build up to Robin Van Persie's side-foot finish.

Wenger afterwards admitted that he had kicked the bottle not out of anger at the decision to rule out the goal but disappointment at his side's failure to get the equaliser.

Arsenal had earlier taken a first-half lead in the match courtesy of an Andriy Arshavin goal, only to see United hit back to take the lead through a Wayne Rooney penalty and an own goal from Abou Diaby.

Wenger was also unhappy with Dean's decision earlier in the match not to award his side a penalty for Darren Fletcher's untidy tackle on Arshavin.

Edited by TheArsenal

Chelsea have been banned from signing anyone until 2011, missing the next next two transfer windows.

With the age of their squad :o

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/administration/news/newsid=1097777.html#kakuta+the+dispute+resolution+chambers+decision

Didier's not happy

DrogbaDisgrace.gif

Edited by therockbox

I'm an honest player, says Rooney

Rooney is moving to distance himself from claims that he is a diver

Wayne Rooney says he is an "honest player" despite analysis of the crucial penalty he won against Arsenal last weekend revealing he may have dived.

The north Londoners were denied a penalty of their own, and were leading 1-0 when Rooney converted his spot-kick, and the hosts went on to win 2-1.

Rooney said: "Everyone who watches me play knows I am an honest player.

"I play the game as honestly as I can. If the referee gives a penalty there is nothing you can do."

Amid the furore that accompanied the two-match ban Eduardo has received for "deceiving the referee" during Arsenal's victory over Celtic, Rooney's conduct at Old Trafford was questioned at the weekend.

On initial inspection, it seemed clear Manuel Almunia had put his arms in front of the Manchester United striker before he went tumbling inside the area.

However, TV replays from a certain angle showed Rooney appeared to be heading for the turf before the Arsenal keeper made contact and that the spot-kick perhaps should not have been given.

Arsenal intend to appeal against Eduardo's punishment, with Arsene Wenger particularly aggrieved because he believes the Croatian was touched by Celtic's Artur Boruc.

Rooney, 23, said it was up to the authorities to take further action if they felt it was necessary.

"If they want to take punishment further it is down to UEFA and the people who run the game. As players you just want to play."

And the England star says diving, technically described as "simulation", is not a rising trend.

"Diving has been in the game for years. Probably the coverage the game gets now, with all the cameras around, it gets highlighted a bit more. But it hasn't got any worse."

He feels the referee is the best person to deal with such issues, even if there are instances when he might get it wrong.

How much shall we bet that Rooney doesn't face a 2 match ban?

Of course he won't. It is a bit of a grey area, because Rooney could've jumped over the outstretched arms if he wanted to, but in this case there was something in his way when he started going down. If Almunia had pulled out of the challenge like Boruc and Evra(?) did and still went down then it would be different. I completely agree that he shouldn't be going down before contact was made in the first place, but in this case there's a clear distinction between Eduardo and Rooney's cases.

Well, you could see Rooney leave his leg behind to ensure he went down, I mean, I think it was a penalty as Almunia had no need to come out like that and of course there was contact, but you could see Almunia did attempt to pull away his arms, and Rooney was going down to the floor before any contact was made.

But I could go on all day, every week, about Man Utd and their deceptive ways (<_<).

Ok, I'll accept the 4-1 just for the amusement of Arsenal collapsing so wonderfully and for the Adebayor celebration...As long as United beat City next week...

EDIT: Also there are loads of big wins in the Premiership this season. 3s, 4s, 5s....Loads of goals.

EDIT 2: Wait?! Chelsea only drew!?!?! (I've been out all evening) BRILLIANT.