Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

I think the top three this season will be Arsenal/Chelsea/Man United - although which order they will be in is anyone's guess. At the start of the season I would have said Arsenal in third, but they are playing much better football than I thought they would.

I always thought Liverpool would struggle to hold onto fourth spot this season, especially considering City's spending in the summer and Villa's strong season (albeit poor finish) to last season. Didn't expec Spurs to play as well as they have, and it may be the Goone in me, but I'm not sure if it will continue all year long - especially given the performances they've put in against the top 3.

Biggest surprise to me is how poor Everton have been this year. I thought they had overcome the yo-yo of good year - bad year that they used to do 5 or 6 years ago.

Unfortunately Everton was always going to end up like that. Their team consisted of above average players, team spirit and loads of confidence, and once you end up in the bottom half of the table within ten games you end up losing a good chunk of your team spirit and confidence.

This is where I'd make the stupid statement that Lescott was THAT good in defence for them and by not replacing him they've forced some youth players into their defence that 'just' aren't ready to be first-teamers. That or the loss of Lescott was something that disrupted the harmony for the first few matches... and by then they were in the relegation zone.

See me single out a single player for the simultaneous collapse of a football club? Andy Townsend eat your heart out.

Liverpool =/= Spurs

Normally I'd say that was pathetic given how good Liverpool were last season... but I figure I'd get a warning from Hammy <_<

You'll get a warning for bottling it instead.

All's fair in football conversation and slagging off.

Just keep it off of Facebook. :shifty:

Liverpool =/= Spurs

Normally I'd say that was pathetic given how good Liverpool were last season... but I figure I'd get a warning from Hammy <_<

You'll get a warning for bottling it instead.

All's fair in football conversation and slagging off.

Just keep it off of Facebook. :shifty:

Yeah, Kou and I have a "special" relationship. :shifty:

Everton are doing alright all things considered. They've had quite a lot of injuries and that doesn't help, I think they'll come on strong after christmas, especially as they'll have both Arteta and Jagielka back by then. They're squad, when fully available, is easily good enough to be in the top half, and I'd say they're good enough to be top six still as well, but they need to kick on soon or else they've got no chance.

Edited by AdamDRFC

The FA are going to investigate the Turner to Sunderland transfer because Hull claimed it was £12m although the actual fee is meant to be much less. Brentford and Charlton have claimed they haven't got big enough sell on fees, and they won't, because the actual fee itself was only about £4m initially rising to about £6m I believe.

My source? Ellis Short, Sunderland's owner so I imagine I'm near the right amounts.

Start of 2009 Summer Transfer window

Hull agree fee with Real Madrid for Negrado (around £12m)

Negrado declines

End of 2009 Summer Transfer window

Michael Turner leaves for £4m

It was bad enough when it was £12m... but £4m? Someones done something horribly corrupt, and it could be the reason why Hull lost so much money last year... and why their chairman has left just like that >_>

Sometimes I just wonder what the Fuck MON really is up to. Heskey on the left hand side? Continuously playing Steve Sidwell?

He has no idea of a tactical substitution and constantly plays players out of position. Beats the big teams, loses against shit. :lmao:

You bite your tongue. West Ham is not shit. Poor year? Most likely going to happen. This is what happens though when your squad gets raped by injuries and bankruptcy. However, when this club was healthy and actually able to keep its players, it was a club fighting for one of the Europe spots last years.

Same old Villa though. Look at the draws and losses this season, plus out of Europe.

He never replaced Barry in the summer. We are obviously lacking a creative influence in midfield. How can you expect to break into the top 4 without creativity?

Oh, I fully agree with you... I just had to defend West Ham <3.

MON has done great to improve the back line with Dunne, Collins, and Warnock, but you're right, no replacement in the midfield. A 19 year old and the ever overrated Downing certainly do nothing to replace Barry, and it doesn't help that the front line is very inconsistent for you guys. Carew and Heskey have both been shit/underperforming, and Gabby's still a little too inconsistent to be a constant threat. I can see Villa keeping up for a while, but just like last year, droppign in form in the new year.

It is the story of John Carew's career. When he is on top of his game he is unplayable and at a world class level, as stated by many managers throughout his career. However, when he hits a low he fucking hits a low and sulks about the pitch with a lazy attitude.

I can't wait for Downing to come into the side, as we need something different in that area. Sidwell doesn't appear to be particularly good in one department. He gets lost in matches. That year at Chelsea has ruined his potential I think.

Heskey has never been a top goalscorer. He won't get you 10 goals a season, and that is what we need. It is clearly evident, but it appears as if O'Neill sees different. It is mind-boggling.

I still respect him for the hole he got us out of, and would never want him to leave but he really needs to sort that area out and fast if he wants us to be serious contenders.

I know people are going on about Rafa and his bad luck

But seriously, could anyone have more bad luck than Mark Hughes? After such a wonderful start to the season it seems that Manchester City are going to fade into obscurity very soon unless they turn things around. I get the feeling City may end up being beaten by Portsmouth under freak circumstances.

It's almost like the Tottenham effect of performing well in the big matches and shockingly bad in the small ones.