Michael Jackson dead at 50

million$$man

He could revitalize the Ted DiBiase Thread. Then again, that requires the ability to type more than six characters. Which...actually, can he type more than three, Sous? WUTS UP takes a lot out of you.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#2edRUg/www.j...-regular-dude//

Was just listening to the demo of "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" on here, and it's really rather good - and for the most part Jackson did sod all for me. The other videos might be more interesting to someone who gives a toss, too; I'm just happy to see I'm not the only one who gets too sucked into the whole "King Of Pop"/"not of this world"/"Wacko Jacko" trifecta of publicity and just thinks...well, he was a bloke. Who made some songs.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#2edRUg/www.j...-regular-dude//

Was just listening to the demo of "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" on here, and it's really rather good - and for the most part Jackson did sod all for me. The other videos might be more interesting to someone who gives a toss, too; I'm just happy to see I'm not the only one who gets too sucked into the whole "King Of Pop"/"not of this world"/"Wacko Jacko" trifecta of publicity and just thinks...well, he was a bloke. Who made some songs.

He wasn't just a bloke who made songs though. Whoever thinks that needs to bother to learn about his accomplishments and history of what he's actually done, not only in the music business, but outside of it as well. He arguably changed music more than anybody ever has, so I'm pretty sure he's not just a 'bloke who made songs'.

Arguably, as you said. My argument being that he didn't. I could name you a barrelfull of artists, producers and writers with more of an impact on music than he had. He made some good pop music, all of it more than twenty years ago, and spent far more of his time cultivating his image as "The King Of Pop" and "the greatest performer on Earth", when neither had been anywhere near accurate in a long, long time.

If Michael Jackson had been an ordinary guy, who hadn't built this mystique around himself, he'd be remembered as having some good songs in the '70s and '80s. That's it. He really didn't do an awful lot else. I'd love to hear of anything truly earth-shattering that he achieved outside of the music business, as "his influence outside of music" is a phrase thrown around a lot lately, and I for one can't think of a single bloody thing. Cut away the "King Of Pop" facade, and you're left with a guy who used to be a damn good pop singer, but who spiralled into drug abuse, irresponsible behaviour, child abuse (sexual or otherwise) and financial difficulty - not to mention a lot of conveniently forgotten terrible songs and creative disasters along the way.

I hate to have to resort to the Scroobius Pip argument here, but I will. He was a bloke who made music. That's it, alright? And that's hardly belittling of him, millions of people dream of making a career making music, and he made some fantastic songs. But let's not get carried away and imagine he was ever anything more - all of this "a talent like his only comes along once in a lifetime" nonsense.

Edited by Tabletop Joe

And beyond that, the sheer amount of commercial success and the impact he's had on a fuckton of musicians and performers pretty much elevates him above "some guy who wrote music" status. I agree that there's no need to deify anyone in music but to deny Jackson's importance is honestly pretty silly.

Ummmmmm. Michael Jackson accomplished a lot outside of the music business. The guy is a pop icon - he influenced entertainers in every realm (from television, to acting, to music, to dance, to fashion, heck even to wrestling). The guy has had a tremendous impact beyond being some guy who sang. I think to argue otherwise is to be blunt, completely uninformed. Between 1983-1984, everyone wanted to be MJ ... whether you were a singer, an athlete, or some regular joe.

The guy also played a huge role in racial politics in the entertainment business. I know people will say he bleached his skin (which is untrue), but the guy clearly made it a lot easier for black people to be successful in the entertainment business.

not to mention a lot of conveniently forgotten terrible songs and creative disasters along the way.

I'd love to hear which of these songs are terrible? I know I'm biased because I am clearly a huge MJ fan, but the guy really only had one misstep - Invincible - and even than it wasn't a huge critical or commericial flop - it sold over 10 million and many stated that while it wasn't bad, it just didn't stack up against his earlier work. And heck, I even think Invincible is a great album if you just accept that it's a tad long.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

lol I'm sorry for the double post but you know you are the shit when the U.S. Government passes a law proclaiming you are the shit.

Wha--?

Oh yes.

Not really. Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) proposed the resolution, but House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, in the only move that I'll likely ever agree with her on, denied the bill/

Also, here's a link to 5 features Vanity Fair did about Jacko over the past 16 years.