The England thread

I think he's better than Lampard and Gerrard. And I think judging players on one national manager's selection is a pretty poor argument. If we're going to do that, Guardiola couldn't have heaped more praise on Scholes. And Pep's a much more successful manager than Sven. Xavi is one of the best midfielders on the last however many years and he rated Scholes as the best midfielder in the last 20 years. The endorsements from successful professionals certainly outweigh Sven.

Scholes was a good player but there are so many people wearing rose-tinted spectacles when it comes to reminiscing about his career.

Couldn't disagree more. I think he was one of those players whose skill sometimes went unnoticed by the fans, but every professional footballer couldn't speak more highly of him. He was bloody brilliant, and we should've built the England team around him, because he was technically better (except his tackling) than any player we've had in a long time.

I'd take Gerrard over Scholes any day of the week. He was a fantastic player but he's been retconned as even better player than he was.

I don't even think Scholes was the best central midfielder at United at the time. Roy Keane was a much bigger contributor to United's midfield and a more rounded player. Obviously Scholes will go down as better in the United history books due to being English, playing there longer and not being a nutter.

• Like 1

Scholes at his peak was easily the equal and often better than Lampard and Gerrard, and if you're looking for a player that's been retconned into this idea of the best midfielder of our generation, then it's the Liverpool man who comes up short in every category against the two who actually won things.

Scholes was great, and personally I'd put him and Lampard on the same level, but I think we're all forgetting that Scholes had a fairly large dip in form around the time he retired from the England squad, and it's only in retrospect we can see that he had another 8 years of solid playing in him, but at the time it looked like he was going to fizzle out and retire in a year or two.

But what really bugs me is how England will constantly produce quality attacking midfielders who hang just behind the striker and almost nothing else, in an ideal world only one of Scholes, Lampard or Gerrard would ever have been in the starting 11 at any one time, but the others were far too good to drop and it wasn't as if there was anyone halfway as good as those who played a more central role so we were doomed to have a completely unbalanced shit midfield even though it was packed full of big name players who all performed great at club level.

Of the Giggs/Scholes/Keane/Beckham midfield, Scholes was the weakest. I definitely agree with whoever said he's been retconned into this great player after he retired (but also towards the end of his career too). He wasn't a bad player by any means but like hell was he someone to build a team around and I don't think playing him instead of Gerrard/Lampard would have been a solution either, in their heyday they all played a similar role.

• Like 1

I definitely agree with whoever said he's been retconned into this great player after he retired (but also towards the end of his career too).

No doubt because they started up the retconning for his first retirement and then just had to run with it when he un-retired himself a year later.