General Television Thread

Hellfire

Season 3 is my favourite Alias season. Though the character Lauren annoyed the hell out of me; the amount of Sark it had in made up for everything. You're right, though. Alias does take a while to get good. It really picks up in Season 2 and 3, dips for 4, and comes back for 5.

I can get why some people won't like it. At times, it's a slow burner. And others, it's inconsistant.

On a different subject; one thing I loved about Alias was how, at the end of each season, they'd wrap up the story in a big season finale and then grab you with a different cliffhanger ending. So you went away satisfied and left you wanting more.

I didn't like how Smallville never concluded a season without having it concluded in the first episode of the next season. I really hated that.

The reason I didn't like that in Smallville was because it'd be a big deal... but most series, you'd have the first episode wrap up all of it and then move on to a new series. If you're going to leave a cliffhanger, at least do a bit more than leave it in one episode.

Have you watched Reaper Tkz? It's awesome. I'm halfway through Season 1 and just laugh myself to death nearly every episode :wub:

So, let's talk about returning TV shows!

Specifically, Showtime ones. Like, for example... Weeds! I love Weeds and the new series looks like a return to the best parts of the show from Series 1 and 2. Instead of the crappy stuff in Series 4 with the Drug Lords and so on. Also, Californication doesn't return until 2011. :( Which is a shame because there's never enough of it per series anyway, let alone having to wait so long for it.

Oh, and Dexter. Which I'll be honest... I don't think this series will be anywhere near as good as the last. It sounds a lot like it's going to be a watered down version of Series 2, with Quinn instead of Doakes... and I hate Quinn.

EDIT: And the correct answer is SUPER HOT, LL. It's a new kind of hot developed by the CIA.

The last two series got weaker and weaker as time went on, but if you're out of other shows to watch I'd go for it just for Andy and Doug. It's not anywhere near as good as the earlier series, but the characters are still good - even if the main story isn't.

Also, way too much Celia, who I think is gone for good now. Thank god.

I liked Celia in a.. she's a total bitch, but she makes things alarming for people kinda way. The past 2 seasons pale in comparison to the first 3. That's for sure. However, I stick to it because I find a real enjoyment in the show. And this upcoming season is looking to be great.

I like that Californication is starting in January cause I JUST started watching it and it gives me plenty of time to catch up. :P

As for Dexter.. I've only seen the first 2 seasons. I really need to see 3 and 4 really quick. :shifty:

So, let's talk about returning TV shows!

Specifically, Showtime ones. Like, for example... Weeds! I love Weeds and the new series looks like a return to the best parts of the show from Series 1 and 2. Instead of the crappy stuff in Series 4 with the Drug Lords and so on. Also, Californication doesn't return until 2011. :( Which is a shame because there's never enough of it per series anyway, let alone having to wait so long for it.

Oh, and Dexter. Which I'll be honest... I don't think this series will be anywhere near as good as the last. It sounds a lot like it's going to be a watered down version of Series 2, with Quinn instead of Doakes... and I hate Quinn.

EDIT: And the correct answer is SUPER HOT, LL. It's a new kind of hot developed by the CIA.

Fuck, I didn't know I had to wait for Californication until 2011 :o That show is so awesome. It's funny, has great dialogue and somehow always manages to depress me at the end. What's your favorite episode? I think I have to go for "California Son" but pretty much everything is great.

I'm also sceptical about Dexter Season 5. Rest in Spoilers in case hasn't seen it Season 4

I think it's going to get pretty interesting to see in which way Dexter develops after Ritas death and how her children react. Also, Dexter should be in major trouble because there are several things that are unclear from the police perspective and could point them towards Dexters secret. For example, why did Trinity kill Rita from his usual cycle perspective? There wasn't enough time between the ending of the last and start of the new one right?

Anyways, I fear that the season will be on the level of Season 3, which I found really boring and had a hard time watching through.

Other shows I look forward to starting again are Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory; How I Met Your Mother and The League :wub:. All sitcoms sadly, I need something to fill my drama need. Is House MD starting in September too? If that's the case I have to catch up with Season 6, I'm only a couple of episodes in because more haven't been shown around here in Germany. I like the original versions better anyway, yet strangely House is the only show that I've watched in German most of the time.

On the topic of Drama, I need new shows. I've seen House, Heroes, Californication, Dexter and probably a few others I can't think of right now. I tried watching the Sopranos, but I didn't get into it, which is strange because I like Drama and I like Mafia style movies/shows. Is Six Feet Under as awesome as everyone says it is? Haven't seen a single episode :blush:. Also is there any good Horror/Drama thing in existence? I'm not talking about things like Buffy(which I didn't like) but something a little bit more violent and/or psycho thriller style. With monsters or something like that (Y)

Cheers

Edited by fr34k

I always wanted to watch it, but never got around to do it. Also, I hate Jared Padalecki <_<. Should I watch it anyways?

I've been bored recently because I've caught up on pretty much everything I want to at this point. I've got to watch Band of Brothers and The Pacific, but after one WW2 story I'm going to throw something else in there, which is where my problem occurs. I've decided to finally watch either The West Wing or Mad Men. I'm not sure which is going to go in that post Band of Brothers slot, so I figure I'd just throw it out here. Which is better?

Never seen The West Wing, but as long as you have the patience for a show that is entirely character-driven and not going to give you a ton of "holy shit" moments every episodes (until you've really fallen in love with the characters, because I can say tonight I had a couple of them), Mad Men is the best show on TV. I mean, like, it's a show about an advertising agency in the '60s so you're not going to get the kind of life-or-death high stakes you'd get in a show like The Wire or whatever, but the writing and acting is so much better than what anyone is doing anywhere else that I've seen. I'm pretty sure it has my #1 spot for the end of the year EWB's Favorite TV Show countdown on lock unless season 4 misfires in a big way, and judging from the premiere, it's not likely.

And speaking of the premiere, my thoughts behind the spoiler cut.

First things first, I'm devastated over Michael Gladis not being in the cast anymore. Paul Kinsey was a top contender for my favorite character in the series, and the fact that he just quietly vanishes after the way his season ended in S3 breaks my heart. I hope he's out there getting one of his awful plays produced, god damn it.

Anyway. Peggy's first scene is so great. It's amazing seeing her continued growth as a character; I watched the first two episodes of season one a couple weeks back and it makes her effortless confidence in season four all the more fantastic. Meanwhile, where Peggy's only risen up, it's amazing seeing what a wreck the divorce has left every one of the Drapers except for maybe Bobby. Kiernan Shipka making the main cast was well-deserved after her acting in season three, and I can't help but think that Sally is finally going to have the meltdown that's been building since Grandpa Gene died before season four is over. Betty's basically just becoming out-and-out villainous now, to the point where her new husband is starting to realize how bad she's gotten. And Don Draper paying for sex and having the prostitute wail on him in the process just says it all.

Great ending to the episode, too, with Don seemingly finding his bearings. Very excited to see where the season takes us, how Cosgrove works his way back in seeing as Aaron Staton is still in the main cast, and god damn it if Kinsey doesn't at least get a couple of reappearances like Duck did last season I will not be happy :crying:

I've been bored recently because I've caught up on pretty much everything I want to at this point. I've got to watch Band of Brothers and The Pacific, but after one WW2 story I'm going to throw something else in there, which is where my problem occurs. I've decided to finally watch either The West Wing or Mad Men. I'm not sure which is going to go in that post Band of Brothers slot, so I figure I'd just throw it out here. Which is better?

I say The West Wing. To be fair I have seen every episode of that and only the first 3 of Mad Men, but I just really couldnt get into it at all. It was really how the character interacted. I mean I guess thats how it really was but I couldnt stomach watching it.