General Television Thread

Hellfire

Any Brits who haven't been watching Dirk Gently really, really should be.

I'm glad someone else loves this show! To me, it feels more Douglas Adams-y than the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie that came out a few years ago (which I guess is the closest thing to compare it to) which is weird because Adams had some involvement in the latter but not the former. Stephen Mangan is so perfect for the role of Dirk Gently, I've blocked out how much I didn't like Episodes.

Guest mr. potato head

Eh, I'll check out the pilot tomorrow, see if it's worth it.

Meanwhile, watching Pan Am from the post mid-season break. Kind of glad it's been cancelled, the entire premise of the show is basically just stewardess x has relationship with pilot y. Shame, could have been a lot more interesting. Still, might as well finish it up.

It started out with some promise, but like so many bad dramas it turned to relationship drama to keep itself popular. Never works.

Watching the Rules of Engagement pilot. Not the biggest fan. I like David Spade and Patrick Warburton, but neither they, nor the rest of the cast, seem even remotely interesting in this. It's a short season, so I figure I'll watch to the end and see if it picks up, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Just watched the Breaking Bad pilot. It's not bad, is it?

Finished the 5th season of the Office - which is all they have on Netflix. I really do love the show, but I feel it definitely peaked in seasons 3 and 4. I'll get round to watching Season 6 eventually, but it'll be a lot more effort now its not on netflix.

Midway through the second season of Twin Peaks now too, which is phenomenal. I love it.

Any Brits who haven't been watching Dirk Gently really, really should be.

I'm glad someone else loves this show! To me, it feels more Douglas Adams-y than the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie that came out a few years ago (which I guess is the closest thing to compare it to) which is weird because Adams had some involvement in the latter but not the former. Stephen Mangan is so perfect for the role of Dirk Gently, I've blocked out how much I didn't like Episodes.

I've watched the first two so far, enjoying it though it is a tad weird (I know its Adams so I should expect it, but Dirk helping weird computer girl escape charge for murder seemed odd, difficult to pick up on his character so far). Some brilliant laugh out loud funny bits though.

Is Alcatraz any good?

It looks like something I would watch but I'm not sure if I can take a show seriously that has Hurley in it and he doesn't call everyone 'dude'.

Friday Night Lights pilot was great to watch. I've saved up six or so weeks of episodes whilst it's aired on Sky Atlantic to try and get into it, but I'm hooked from the get go. It's got a very unique camera style that I wish more shows utilised.

Benji...Fringe just gets better in Season 2, mainly around episode 8 or 9 on. From then on it is appointment viewing for me, and it is my favorite show on TV right now. Disregard MPH's opinion as he is wrong. The relationship(s) stuff becomes the bread and butter to the awesome sandwich which is Fringe.

I watched Falling Skies the last month. It was okay for the pilot, but slowly picked up steam as it went along. It's not the greatest drama ever, but I found it enjoyable and I am looking forward to the second season in July.

Is Alcatraz any good?

It looks like something I would watch but I'm not sure if I can take a show seriously that has Hurley in it and he doesn't call everyone 'dude'.

I've found it pretty good so far. Got to say I thought the same way as you regarding Hurley, though he fits in pretty well so far.

If I was you I'd probably wait a little while before watching it to find out whether or not it's going to be cancelled. Quite likely it will do if the finale doesn't do a good enough rating, which will then likely leave us all with a cliff hanger that is never explained etc (see FlashForward and The Event).

From what I've seen of Alcatraz, it feels like a poor man's 4400, Fringe, and various other shows. I've only seen two episodes so far, but it doesn't appear to be particularly outstanding in any way. What's worse, the leads don't really seem to have any chemistry.

Twin Peaks, Mid Season 2

I loved the first half of the season, but since the reveal of the murderer, I do feel it's taken a dip in quality. I mean there are parts which are still really, really good. But it just hasn't gripped me in the same way. The Windham Earle stuff is cool and Leo reawakening last episode was also pretty cool - but overall, the shows dyanmic just isn't the same. The Catherine storyline doesn't really interest me too much and most of the parts that don't include Agent Cooper and the police force don't seem to be quite as attention-grabbing. It's still brilliant, and I love the show, but I can't help but feel it hasn't been quite as good since the reveal.

Guest mr. potato head

Mad Men first episode was kinda meh. The reveal at the end is the only thing wanting me to come back for more.

Like first episode ever? Surprised you're so ambivalent about it, but I'd still say keep watching.