General Television Thread

Hellfire

On 22/11/2017 at 11:04, Jimmy said:

Just finished episode five, which was extraordinary. 

Reveal hidden contents

Under His eye

• Like 1

I love Curb Your Enthusiasm, but does anyone else feel like every episode is sorta samey? Especially this season. It's good, it's funny, don't get me wrong, but the plot's always the same. I suppose that's the point, the show is just about how Larry's a dick and how he gets into these silly situations and whatever but... it becomes a little tiresome and perhaps a bit difficult to binge because of it. Perhaps that's because it's not designed to be binged.

On 11/22/2017 at 19:04, Jimmy said:

Just finished episode five, which was extraordinary. 

Hide contents

It's such a testament to the source material and the show that a passionate sex scene can feel so overwhelming and monumental, when they've become the norm in modern filmmaking. Having Offred starved of any sort of real joy for four episodes makes this scene standout. But then, what I really love about the book / show is how it's impossible to take too much joy in it, because we've spent a large part of the episode understanding how she fell in love with Luke, and it's constantly in the back of your mind that she's unaware of the wellbeing of her husband and child. It's just harrowing and it's incredible how well the show captures that complexity. 

As an aside, I still feel Serena Joy has been cast too young - but Yvonne Strahovski plays the role really well, it just creates a different dynamic from what I imagined from the book.

Regarding Yvonne Strahovski as Serena Joy:

Spoiler

Was Serena Joy's age mentioned in the book? I read the Handmaid's Tale when I was way too young to understand exactly what I was reading, so I can't remember if she was to be specifically a woman over 40 or something. If not, I feel the age that Strahovski portrays her as is perfect, as it's so common for women that young in modern TV to be shown as strong, feminist characters that someone like Serena Joy who goes completely off the rails in terms of religious conservatism can come off as jarring, but people forget that there are many women like that of that age out there right now.

7 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Regarding Yvonne Strahovski as Serena Joy:

Reveal hidden contents

I can't remember without checking, but I had it in my head she was 40-50's, like a few of the others. For what it's worth, I think she plays it

perfectly and it's a massive credit to her that it works so well. I think the dynamic would be slightly better if she were older as it adds another dimension.

hey guys, just in case any of y'all have a free evening ahead of you and want to watch some Thanksgiving-adjacent stuff/totally unrelated gameshows, I'm running a synchtube stream here!

The show starts in earnest in an hour and a half, maybe a teensy bit after, and will run for a couple hours. Right now there's a preshow of an MST3K episode while I go grocery shopping.

Two more episodes of Chicago Fire (IE: end of season five) and I'm finally calling a day on it. It's been a mixed bag for the most part and wasn't the type of show I'd usually get into, but I liked the cast. I'll be glad to drop it because it's been going through the motions even more than standard for a show of its ilk for a while now.

Still need to drop loads more shows. I am weak.

Anyone watch the Ranch on Netflix? I've had that 70s show on as a background thing, and now it's finished Netflix is obviously recommending the Ranch cause it has two of the same people on it. Watching the first episode now though and it seems pretty bad.

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

When you go back and watch That 70's Show, you realize how horrible that is too.

The first few seasons are fine. I'd never seen it before so it was fine to have on in the background while I was sewing. The last four seasons were terrible.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheSqauredCircleMessiah said:

Kate episodes are just the worst on "This Is Us"

I think until they show how Jack died, and if Kate actually has a reason to think it's her fault, that her story should be given the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she has a reason to hate herself, but I'll admit that it's really tiring seeing overweight characters that hate themselves. Her fiance is proof that you can have an overweight character in a drama series that's not played like your typical "I'm so fat, I hate myself, I'll just be dramatic all the time". I like the show,  but it's veering into weird territory where every week I like everyone involved less and less. Except for Jack, because he's the man.

---

I just got done with the two seasons of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend that are on Netflix... that show went from really fun to really awkward in a good way to REALLY SAD.

• Like 1

Yeah, S1 is fantastic. S2 is good but loses pace with Greg's leaving. S3 so far is okay but certainly lacking musical numbers I give a shit about, and whilst the drama is solid, the comedy is sorely lacking. I'm hoping 3B can pick up a bit cause it feels a bit in a rut for me.