FIFA World Cup 2010

METALMAN

• 2 weeks later...

So the game got shipped to me before the release tomorrow and I'm loving it so far. You can observe the globe like in the demo and you can play each countries anthem, which you can consider a small feature but I love it :D First game I played was a friendly, Tonga versus Cook Islands. Great atmosphere before and during the match, anthems get played shortly. The commentators surprisingly knew all the names of the Tonga and Cook Islands players, which is ofcourse great because they used to only know the "important" names basically, which slightly took away the fun in playing with shitty teams. My star player had a rating of 49, booyah! Anyway, game ended in a dire 0-0.

I then jumped into the online world. There's a cool feature, you can now play the World Cup online and it works like this: you pick a country and then the game searches all 3 of your opponents, you play them etc, first two go through like in real life. If you get knocked out you can use a different country and start over. I chose Netherlands, lost against US (don't ask me how, but I had to get used to the slightly slower gameplay), beat Portugal, beat Spain. Both were ping-pong players, trying to send Torres and Ronaldo away. A cool feature is that during your third match you get updates about what is happening in the other game and because the US were beating Portugal 2-0, I knew if I would win I would go through. Met France in the second round, eventually lost 3-2 to a ping-pong goal by Ribery and Benzema, ugh. I did have an IMMENSE belter from miles away with Sneijder, under the bar into the goal :w00t:

Then I looked at another gametype "Story of Qualifying". There are currently 55 scenario's you can play (will be more once the WC starts). I did Russia/Slovenia, 30 minutes to go, Russia are 1 man down now and have to score to go through to the World Cup (in real life Slovenia qualified). The commentators briefly talk about the red card, then mention Guus Hiddink is a tactical mastermind (and they show Hiddink at the touchline). The line-up is the same as it was in real life and the situation as well, so Slovenia started with a free kick. Really neat stuff, I love how the commentators actually talk about the significance of the match instead of just standard comments.

So, so far so good :blush:

Edited by The Quasi Juice

Been playing this a lot today too. Decided to do the offline World Cup with qualifiers and needed to beat Mexico and Jamaica back-to-back to even have a chance to qualify. Somehow I absolutely destroyed Mexico 4-0 then in the 80th minute against Jamaica a cross was headed out of the box back to Julian de Guzman who stepped around a defender to bury the goal to send us through to the next stage with Honduras. Somehow Mexico finished last in our group.

Been playing this a lot today too. Decided to do the offline World Cup with qualifiers and needed to beat Mexico and Jamaica back-to-back to even have a chance to qualify. Somehow I absolutely destroyed Mexico 4-0 then in the 80th minute against Jamaica a cross was headed out of the box back to Julian de Guzman who stepped around a defender to bury the goal to send us through to the next stage with Honduras. Somehow Mexico finished last in our group.

Yeah, that's probably what I'll be doing next time. Canada actually sounds like a fun choice, just wish you could use Jonathan de Guzman, even though he chose for Holland (but didn't play yet, so...)

Hopefully they include more players with squad updates once the World Cup lineups are announced. It's not a problem for me with Canada (which is basically hope Julian de Guzman or Dwyane de Rosario can make something awesome happen), but when I branch out to other countries I know I'll be looking for City players.

I don't think I'm being very friendly to Australia in a friendly.

I was gonna start chanting it's just like watching Brazil then realised you were Canada and it doesn't have the same effect :P Well worked goal :)

Coming from a person who does not play Football games, what would be a better pick up right now...This game or FIFA 10? I mainly want to do online play. I've played both demos and love them both, just not too keen on the prices for either right now. So essentially, which is worth the cost right now?