The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

Giants scheduled according to Mike Francesa.

Carolina

@Indy SNF

Tenn

Bears SNF

@Houston

Detroit

@Dallas MNF

Bye

@Seattle

Dallas

@Eagles SNF

Jacksonville

Washington

@Minn

Philly

@Green Bay

@Washington

This looks like it'll be the 3rd straight season the Giants collapse down the stretch. That at Minny, home vs Philly, and at Green Bay stretch at the end will be the death of them. I see them being about 6-6 or 7-5 going into it, and there's no way they sweep that which is pretty much what they would need to do.

If they do end up around the 8-8 mark, think Coughlin gets the boot? Or has his SB win earned him enough street cred with the NYC media to get an extension regardless?

If they do end up around the 8-8 mark, think Coughlin gets the boot? Or has his SB win earned him enough street cred with the NYC media to get an extension regardless?

If they miss the playoffs again Coughlin will be gone. That would be two straight seasons without getting to the postseason, and 3 straight seasons of underachieving down the stretch. You have to keep in mind that if you remove the SB season, the Giants have gone "one and done" in the playoffs in every other year they made it (2005, 2006, 2008) and they missed it in 2004 & 2009. I don't think that four playoff wins in 7 years is enough to keep his job even though he made sure to string the 4 together in one season and earned a ring.

Apparently Donovan McNabb is lobbying the Redskins to sign Terell Owens.

So if this is true, how long before we see "Donovan McNabb committed to mental institution, likely to miss the entire 2010 NFL season" posted as a news headline?

No..they were making a GREAT point about this on ESPN radio here in Philly today.

This is great posturing by McNabb. They bring TO in, he behaves and McNabb says "Hey, I told you this would work and it'd be a great idea". On the other hand, they bring him in and he goes nuts, McNabb can say "I tried, I told them to give him a shot and he blew it on his own"..either way he'd come out looking better

No..they were making a GREAT point about this on ESPN radio here in Philly today.

This is great posturing by McNabb. They bring TO in, he behaves and McNabb says "Hey, I told you this would work and it'd be a great idea". On the other hand, they bring him in and he goes nuts, McNabb can say "I tried, I told them to give him a shot and he blew it on his own"..either way he'd come out looking better

I understand it from that point, but I honestly don't think Owens is worth the risk. Granted its hard to judge since he was playing for Buffalo last, but Owens is washed up or pretty near it. Even if he did behave, there are better WRs to be had out there. As an owner, GM or coach, I wouldn't take the risk on him unless he only caught short passes.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't want Washington to sign T.O., because I'd like Redskins fans to put up with what us Cowboys fans had to put up with. That and I'd like to see my `Skins fan father have a conniption.

...what better veteran WRs are out there exactly? Washington has some talent at WR but they're all young and having a guy like TO would help them (to an extent). Say what you will about him off the field and about his prima donna attitude but one thing that young WRs should learn from TO is the work ethic he got from Jerry Rice when he was a young WR on the 49ers.

Um yeah, no he doesn't. Owens got us no where. He's older now, less skilled, but surely will be just as much of a distraction. Not worth it, completely unnecessary. We should have traded for Brandon Marshall when we had the chance.

Or Santonio Holmes since, if the report from ESPN a few days ago is to be believes, the Steelers literally called every other team not in their conference to see if they were interested

No, no, no, no, and fucking NO!

Owens belongs in Dallas or Cinci at this point. Jerry needs to suck it up and bring him back.

Are you insane? I could see Owens going to Cinci....maybe. But there is NO WAY IN HELL the Cowboys should ever bring him back. It wouldn't be worth the hassle - let alone the fact he now sucks as a WR - because I'm sure half the roster would hit Jones' office asking to be traded as soon as word got out. And if started that Romo-Witten conspiracy crap again, I don't think he'd make it out of the locker room alive the next time he set foot in it. Hell, I'm betting someone would start a petition to get Jones a mental evaluation to see if he has Alzheimers if he did bring T.O. back!

Or Santonio Holmes since, if the report from ESPN a few days ago is to be believes, the Steelers literally called every other team not in their conference to see if they were interested

Holmes was traded to the Jets, wasn't he?

Edited by GhostMachine

Yes..but Maxx had said they should have traded for Brandon Marshall when they had the chance. I was saying that, given that the Steelers were fishing for trades, they could've traded for him when they had the chance also

Holmes was traded to the Jets, wasn't he?

I believe he meant division.

-----

Ok so in the interest of getting back to the draft, here's my first round mock. What do you guys think?

01. St. Louis Rams - Sam Bradford - QB - Oklahoma

02. Detroit Lions - Ndamukong Suh - DT - Nebraska

03. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gerald McCoy - DT - Oklahoma

04. Washington Redskins - Russell Okung - OT - Oklahoma State

05. Kansas City Chiefs - Bryan Bulaga - OT - Iowa

06. Seattle Seahawks - Eric Berry - S - Tennessee

07. Cleveland Browns - Joe Haden - CB - Florida

08. Oakland Raiders - Bruce Campbell - OT - Maryland

09. Buffalo Bills - Jimmy Clausen - QB - Notre Dame

10. Jacksonville Jaguars - Derrick Morgan - DE - Georgia Tech

11. Denver Broncos - Rolando McClain - LB - Alabama

12. Miami Dolphins - Dan Williams - DT - Tennessee

13. San Francisco 49ers - C.J. Spiller - RB - Clemson

14. Seattle Seahawks - Charles Brown - OT - USC

15. New York Giants - Sean Weatherspoon - LB - Missouri

16. Tennessee Titans - Jason Pierre-Paul - DE - South Florida

17. San Francisco 49ers - Anthony Davis - OT - Rutgers

18. Pittsburgh Steelers - Maurkice Pouncey - C/G - Florida

19. Atlanta Falcons - Jerry Hughes - DE/LB - TCU

20. Houston Texans - Earl Thomas - S - Texas

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Jermaine Gresham - TE - Oklahoma

22. New England Patriots - Dez Bryant - WR - Oklahoma State

23. Green Bay Packers - Kyle Wilson - CB - Boise State

24. Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Iupati - G - Idaho

25. Baltimore Ravens - Jared Odrick - DT/DE - Penn State

26. Arizona Cardinals - Patrick Robinson - CB - Florida State

27. Dallas Cowboys - Taylor Mays - S - USC

28. San Diego Chargers - Ryan Mathews - RB - Fresno State

29. New York Jets - Everson Griffen - DE - USC

30. Minnesota Vikings - Devin McCourty - CB - Rutgers

31. Indianapolis Colts - Nate Allen - S - South Florida

32. New Orleans Saints - Brian Price - DT - UCLA

While I'd love Spiller, I doubt we go after him after the trade for Ginn Jr. I would assume we'd go after Earl Thomas based on the way you have the rest playing out. Or Brandon Graham, who I'm surprised you don't have going in the 1st round.

Why are the Cardinals taking a corner back in the first?

Scratch that, why are the Cardinals taking a terribly overrated corner in the first?

Greg Toler is going to get every shot to start across from DRC next year; that was the plan from the moment we drafted him (well, the plan was that he would be worked into the rotation this past year, then eventually take over as our #2 after McFadden's contract ran out but, obviously, we're rushing it a bit), and given his performance down the stretch of last season, it's stupid to think Whisenhunt/Graves will invest such a high-value draft pick on another cornerback so soon.

We'll be going BPA in the first round, most likely, with OT, NT, ILB and OLB being the positions we are most likely to prioritize.

Also, Nate Allen sucks and I can't see either Dez Bryant or Earl Thomas falling that far - they're both legitimate top 10 talents. Where's Trent Williams, btw? I think he sucks, and I'm really not a fan of his, but he's going in the 1st round. Worst case scenario, the Packers take him as he fits the zone blocking scheme to a tee and OT > DB, always. And why would the Colts take a FS when the current dude they have there (name escapes me) is a baller? How about Rodger Saffold right there? Other than that, though, solid work.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

While I'd love Spiller, I doubt we go after him after the trade for Ginn Jr. I would assume we'd go after Earl Thomas based on the way you have the rest playing out. Or Brandon Graham, who I'm surprised you don't have going in the 1st round.

I actually had Brandon Graham in there and moved him then forgot to put him where I had him going before. Oops.

Scratch that, why are the Cardinals taking a terribly overrated corner in the first?

Patrick Robinson's a fast riser and a good corner.

I actually had Brandon Graham in there and moved him then forgot to put him where I had him going before. Oops.

Patrick Robinson's a fast riser and a good corner.

This class is filled with quality corners, but Patrick Robinson isn't one of them. Speed doesn't make a corner good, btw.. and that's all Robinson has going for him, speed. Can't cover worth a lick. And regardless, Arizona will not be taking a corner in the first few rounds unless the value is off the charts (IE: Joe Haden in the 1st, or Kareem Jackson/Devin McCourty in the 2nd), guaranteed.

EDIT - Oh, yeah. Where's Graham? Colts could use him, as well (as could AZ, New England & Jets, to name a few).

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Schefter and Mortensen are reporting that Big Ben will get 4-6 games. Earlier reports said that it would likely be a conditional suspension and games could be reduced for good behavior like they did for Vick.

The two are also reporting today that the Steelers were expecting a suspension of up to 8 games.