The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

Brady also has an epic man-mane that ESPN loves showing slow-mo's of apparently.

I think the argument of Brady-Manning will always be polarizing between stat guys and ring guys. Marino or Montana.

It did become tilted in Manning's favor when he finally won a ring, but Brady still has the edge.

And the idea of "if Manning had this" is false economy. It's more about the style of play and whether or not a QB can adjust. The fact is Brady can work every kind of offense. Huddle, no-huddle, spread, or tight. I've only ever seen Manning run the spread no-huddle, so he has to have the personal to run it. See: Clark, Dallas.

But Tom Brady has the rings :)

The Colts won the Super Bowl in 2007.

This was the year where they came back in the AFC Title game against the Patriots to win, then beat the Bears. Being a Pats fan, I just drank a lot during those two games - not fun watching Peyton and the Colts win.

rings is plural, son

Now I know what Maxx is talking about.

I could have a 10-win season quarterbacking a team with the defense and coaching of the Pats in 03, 04. No disrespect to Brady but he didn't become Tom Brady the Stat Master until he stopped winning rings. Back then he was a clutch QB with a great defense to bail him out when he couldn't carry the team.

I could have a 10-win season quarterbacking a team with the defense and coaching of the Pats in 03, 04. No disrespect to Brady but he didn't become Tom Brady the Stat Master until he stopped winning rings. Back then he was a clutch QB with a great defense to bail him out when he couldn't carry the team.

Really damshow, really?

Really damshow, really?

Okay, maybe an 8-win season. :P

But Brady's numbers were good, not great, until 2007. There were times when you thought you had the Pats during the dynasty on the ropes, and then suddenly a Vrabel or a Bruschi or a Harrison would come through and change the entire face of the game. Now you think you have the Pats on the ropes and it's Brady who wins the game all by himself. It was the rings he had that made up for it. Now he's the complete package.

But Brady's numbers were good, not great, until 2007. There were times when you thought you had the Pats during the dynasty on the ropes, and then suddenly a Vrabel or a Bruschi or a Harrison would come through and change the entire face of the game. Now you think you have the Pats on the ropes and it's Brady who wins the game all by himself. It was the rings he had that made up for it. Now he's the complete package.

He led the league in touchdowns in 2002.

• Like 1

And missed the playoffs, which enforces my point.

Brady had 28, I just had to check that stat. 28 isn't a jaw-dropping number. That was the weirdest NFL season ever by the way. Chad Pennington with the best QB rating if I recall. Rich Gannon winning MVP. Tampa Bay winning the Gruden Bowl. Oh, and Tommy Maddox.

Brady had 28, I just had to check that stat. 28 isn't a jaw-dropping number. That was the weirdest NFL season ever by the way. Chad Pennington with the best QB rating if I recall. Rich Gannon winning MVP. Tampa Bay winning the Gruden Bowl. Oh, and Tommy Maddox.

You make a valid point. Tommy Maddox. :D

However, if we are saying he used a great defense as a crutch, what about this year?

31st ranked in yards allowed, 18th in points allowed. In 2002 they were 23rd and 17th, respectively.

This year, however, they may damn well be the first seed and Brady is having his second best statistical season.

However, if we are saying he used a great defense as a crutch, what about this year?

31st ranked in yards allowed, 18th in points allowed. In 2002 they were 23rd and 17th, respectively.

This year, however, they may damn well be the first seed and Brady is having his second best statistical season.

He doesn't need a great defense anymore, that's my point entirely. He didn't have a great defense in 2002 and look what happened.

I also forgot one more awesome bit from the 2002 season. Cleveland was in the playoffs. :lmao:

I dunno about nine win seasons Damshow, I watched your games in high school and your ability to throw it deep into the sideline bleachers was envied by everyone but Rex Grossman himself.

• Like 1

He doesn't need a great defense anymore, that's my point entirely. He didn't have a great defense in 2002 and look what happened.

I also forgot one more awesome bit from the 2002 season. Cleveland was in the playoffs. :lmao:

And they had a fucking awesome game in the snow against Pittsburgh. Kelly Holcomb FTW!

• Like 1

And they had a fucking awesome game in the snow against Pittsburgh. Kelly Holcomb FTW!

That game was memorable. It was real intense, the last time a Cleveland-Pittsburgh game meant anything.

Imagine what that team could have done if Tim Couch panned out. Oh, and if Courtney Brown stayed healthy.

I dunno about nine win seasons Damshow, I watched your games in high school and your ability to throw it deep into the sideline bleachers was envied by everyone but Rex Grossman himself.

So what you're saying is I could have quarterbacked the 2006 Bears to a Super Bowl defeat?

Edited by damshow

So what you're saying is I could have quarterbacked the 2006 Bears to a Super Bowl defeat?

Any schmuck on this board (jaywhyte excepted) > Rex Grossman.

Brady also has an epic man-mane that ESPN loves showing slow-mo's of apparently.

I think the argument of Brady-Manning will always be polarizing between stat guys and ring guys. Marino or Montana.

It did become tilted in Manning's favor when he finally won a ring, but Brady still has the edge.

And the idea of "if Manning had this" is false economy. It's more about the style of play and whether or not a QB can adjust. The fact is Brady can work every kind of offense. Huddle, no-huddle, spread, or tight. I've only ever seen Manning run the spread no-huddle, so he has to have the personal to run it. See: Clark, Dallas.

No-huddle, I'll grant you, but the Colts have also been dangerous out of two-TE formations, most of which are hard to consider "spread" offenses. That's part of what's made Dallas so effective, as guys like Gijon Robinson, Tom Santi, and now Brody Eldridge (when he plays) get to stay in and be extra tackles. (Lord knows none of that bunch would be able to catch anything more difficult than gonorrhea.)

Not that I think it's going to happen, but it's not impossible that a team like St. Louis or Seattle gets red hot in the playoffs. Nobody expected the Arizona Cardinals to get to the Super Bowl a few years back when they were 9-7, and they just happened to get hot. I could see the Rams winning a game at home, and then maybe getting lucky on the road in the Divisional round. It's not out of the question.

The difference here is that the Cardinals had a HOF QB and two of the best receivers in the game. There isn't an offense in the NFC West that scares anyone, or a defense that's going to shut anyone down.

OFFENSE

Seattle 20 PPG (24th out of 32)

St. Louis 19.3 PPG (25th out of 32)

San Fran 16.9 PPG (30th out of 32)

Arizona 16.7 PPG (31st out of 32)

DEFENSE

St. Louis 19.8 PPG (10th out of 32)

San Fran 21.6 PPG (17th out of 32)

Seattle 24.1 PPG (21st out of 32)

Arizona 28.2 PPG (32nd out of 32)

In short, every team in that division gives up more points than they've scored. While it wouldn't be stunning to see them win their first round game due to home field advantage, I could easily see any of those teams get blown out by 20+ on the road.

I'm not going to say the Cardianls getting there was a fluke, but they had a fairly easy road to the Super Bowl in the Play-offs. They had a a rebuilding team with a rookie QB in the Falcons at home, Jake Delhomme going nuts tossing them 5 picks against the Panthers and the Eagles at home, which was a good win. That was a year where the red-hot, no.1 seeded Giants were one and done too.

Couple this with the fact that they had as somebody already said, a HOF QB and two elite WRs. The Seahawks and Rams aren't a patch on the Cardinals and they're going up against one of the Bears, Packers, Saints, Falcons, Eagles or Giants. They're gone in the Wildcard round barring a major upset that I personally think is never going to happen.

I don think they should have a Play-Off spot though, if they won their division and didn't get a spot, then it would defeat the purpose of divisions.

I'll hear nothing bad against Rich Gannon, dude was a beast that year running a super efficient offense.

Also, I don't seem to remember the Super Bowl being played that year. I think there was like, an earthquake or something, and they canceled it. Something like that.

2002 was a great year as Jet fan. The season started awful which led to the infamous "You Play to Win the Game!" speech from Herm Edwards. Chad Pennington then took over starting QB from Testaverde and was on fire. The Jets got red hot and were involved in a three team tie Week 17. That week Vinatieri hit a Field Goal in Miami that had the Meadowlands going wild because all the Jets had to do was beat Favre and the Packers. Sure enough with Pennington in charge they torched the Packers and then Peyton and the Colts in week 1 of the playoffs. Sadly they fell to the superior Raiders, but I remember having so much hope for the promise of the Jets.

Then the next pre-season Pennington was injured in a game against the Giants. The culprit was Brandon Short, I won't forget his name. Chad was never the same again.

Edited by Panni89

Guest jaywhyte

I don't know how good it is to be a Patriots fan. You start expecting super bowls every year. But if they don't do that I always just cheer for the team that's playing the Colts or Jets :)

Tom-Brady-Super-Bowl.jpg