The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

I had a real tough time picking one from the other in my football pool. Atlanta should feel pretty motivated with so many experts and such picking against them. I can't remember a 6th seed being picked so heavily against a #1 :shifty:

That was the single worst hour and a half of my entire life. And I knew it would happen. Rice was due for a fumble. Our possession receivers were due for dropped passes. We were due for a disastrous officiating call. It all happened in the second half. It's not a Ravens game without those things happening.

As for Flacco. I think he can win us games, he'll be going into his 4th year. His weaknesses are holding onto the ball too long and not finding the open man. If the Ravens had a receiver, maybe Donte Stallworth or someone, who could go deep and open up the field then it would spread out the defense and make it a lot easier for him to read the defense. Instead we have to stick with short passes, which work great early in the game but as the game comes down to crunch time a defense is going to make sure they don't get more than 3-4 yards. The Steelers tried to hand us the game and instead we just gave it back to them.

And I feel sorry for the guy I saw in a Houshmandzadeh jersey because he's not gonna be a Raven anymore. "I came here because they had the best chance to win a Super Bowl." And it's very easy to agree that they did, but you can't catch the most important pass of your fucking career. Get out.

And that holding call? Give me a break. It's Steelers-Ravens, let them fucking play refs. In Lions-Panthers you can make that call, but you can't do it in a game where every play is going to have holding much more excessive than that.

Edited by damshow

The problem for Flacco right now is 4 career playoff touchdowns and 7 INTs. That ratio will change with time. There is no need to make a QB change. Four playoff wins (including 3 on the road) in your first 3 seasons is pretty good though. 32-16 record over his first 3 seasons is pretty good. He has a division title under his belt already. Does he need to manage the game better, absolutely but lets get Rice some more carries and ease the pressure on Flacco too.

By the way, screw the Steelers (unless they're playing the Patriots next week :shifty: ).

That was the single worst hour and a half of my entire life. And I knew it would happen. Rice was due for a fumble. Our possession receivers were due for dropped passes. We were due for a disastrous officiating call. It all happened in the second half. It's not a Ravens game without those things happening.

As for Flacco. I think he can win us games, he'll be going into his 4th year. His weaknesses are holding onto the ball too long and not finding the open man. If the Ravens had a receiver, maybe Donte Stallworth or someone, who could go deep and open up the field then it would spread out the defense and make it a lot easier for him to read the defense. Instead we have to stick with short passes, which work great early in the game but as the game comes down to crunch time a defense is going to make sure they don't get more than 3-4 yards. The Steelers tried to hand us the game and instead we just gave it back to them.

And I feel sorry for the guy I saw in a Houshmandzadeh jersey because he's not gonna be a Raven anymore. "I came here because they had the best chance to win a Super Bowl." And it's very easy to agree that they did, but you can't catch the most important pass of your fucking career. Get out.

And that holding call? Give me a break. It's Steelers-Ravens, let them fucking play refs. In Lions-Panthers you can make that call, but you can't do it in a game where every play is going to have holding much more excessive than that.

My thoughts summerized - Thanks damshow.

One point I really want to hammer down - Housh can GTFO.

Go back to Ohio because we don't want you and Seattle doesn't want you either.

My motto for the rest of the playoffs? - War Seahawks!

Can't link to it right now but philadelphiaeagles.com its showing that the eagles fired sean mcdermott

McDermott Relieved Of Duties As Def. Coordinator

The Eagles have announced that Sean McDermott has been relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator.

The Eagles defense finished tied for 21st in the league in scoring defense (23.6 points per game) and had the worst red zone defense in the league (76.74 percent of opponent's trips into the red zone resulted in touchdowns). At the same time, the Eagles forced 34 turnovers, fifth-most in the NFL, and their 23 interceptions ranked third in the league. A young defense was one of only two teams in the league to have rookies contribute at least five sacks and five interceptions.

No replacement has been announced.

-- Posted by Bo Wulf, 6:34 p.m., January 15

Can't link to it right now but philadelphiaeagles.com its showing that the eagles fired sean mcdermott

McDermott Relieved Of Duties As D. Coordinator

The Eagles have announced that Sean McDermott has been relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator.

The Eagles defense finished tied for 21st in the league in scoring defense (23.6 points per game) and had the worst red zone defense in the league (76.74 percent of opponent's trips into the red zone resulted in touchdowns). At the same time, the Eagles forced 34 turnovers, fifth-most in the NFL, and their 23 interceptions ranked third in the league. A young defense was one of only two teams in the league to have rookies contribute at least five sacks and five interceptions.

No replacement has been announced.

-- Posted by Bo Wulf, 6:34 p.m., January 15

Ninja'd by Powerhart.

I am dissapoint with myself.

and Atlanta should be with themselves, What a fail.

Rapethlisberger is a far better play on his name than rapistberger, it just rolls off the tongue.

I'd tell Steelers fans to be classy, but no amount of civility and monocles can make cheering for Ben the Rapist classy.

I usually do the former, but didn't want to remember how to spell the middle part of his last name at the time.

2009 BAL @ MIA W 27-9, 9-23 for 135 yards

2009 BAL @ TEN W 13-10, 11-22 for 161 yards, TD

2009 BAL @ PIT L 14-23, 13-30 for 141 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT

2010 BAL @ NE W 33-14, 4-10 for 34 yards, INT

2010 BAL @ IND L 3-20, 20-35 for 189 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT

2011 BAL @ KC W 30-7, 25-34 for 265 yards, 2 TD

2011 BAL @ PIT L 24-31, 16-30 for 125 yards, TD , INT

Joe Flacco has won a lot of playoff games because his defense has terrorized the opposition. His play with a 14 point lead today was atrocious. He's in that Mark Sanchez category, where the team has succeeded in the postseason in spite of their bad QB play. Like I said, Flacco is good for an opening playoff road win against the worst of the division winners. The guy has TWO playoff wins where he didn't complete double digit passes and another win with 11 completions. He's passed for over 200 yards ONCE in 7 tries. Let's not act like the Ravens are winning because of him.

Matt Ryan just killed Atlanta's season. Now people can continue comparing him to Flacco :shifty:

Edited by naiwf

The problem for Flacco right now is 4 career playoff touchdowns and 7 INTs. That ratio will change with time. There is no need to make a QB change. Four playoff wins (including 3 on the road) in your first 3 seasons is pretty good though. 32-16 record over his first 3 seasons is pretty good. He has a division title under his belt already. Does he need to manage the game better, absolutely but lets get Rice some more carries and ease the pressure on Flacco too.

By the way, screw the Steelers (unless they're playing the Patriots next week :shifty: ).

All of Flacco's playoff wins have come on the road. Ravens haven't had a playoff game at home since McNair was behind center in 2006.

Oh and I think the only person who can stop Aaron Rodgers is Mike McCarthy. We'll see if that theory holds true in the second half.

Edited by damshow

Seriously, I'm not even that bad. If you people get so butthurt about me defending my team then you probably should stay away from the majority of NFL fan sites and message boards. Jesus.

-----

Great game today. Even when the Steelers were down 14 at the half I knew the game wasn't over. When you have Ben Roethlisberger, you have a chance to win every game.

Especially when the opposing team is throwing Joe Flacco at you.

What a dominant 3rd quarter performance by the Steelers defense, literally one of the best of all-time I'd think. You won't find too many teams forcing their opponent into consecutive drives ending with fumble, punt, interception, fumble.

Ravens offense in the third quarter ran 9 plays, and had a total of -4 yards.

• Like 2

Like I said ... it's Pittsburgh the guy has no hope against :shifty: And again, we're talking about a guy who just completed his third year in the league ....

What was Manning doing his 3rd year in the league ? That's right, 0-2 in the playoffs with a 48% completion rate ...

It took Manning six years to get ANYTHING done in the playoffs. It wasn't until his 9th season that he finally got over the "New England Hump" in the playoffs.

Flacco is just fine right now.

Oh, and ECK ... it's not really that you're a homertastic douche on here most of the time ... it's that you actually think you aren't :/

What a great game that has turned into an embarrassment. I really wanted to see the Falcons go for it this year but the Packers are too dominate. They are THE Superbowl team for the NFC at this point. Anybody else would be a disappointment. I just don't see Seahawks or the Bears beating them.

Edited by Universal

Flacco looks skittish under pressure whenever I see him play. He's the type of guy that plays well enough to get you the 5 seed (behind Pittsburgh for obvious reasons) and then lose the divisional round every year. It's not his fault per se, but I don't think he has what it takes to win a Super Bowl and Baltimore is a win now team.

Honestly, it's just Pittsburgh.

The kid has won FOUR playoff games on the road in his first three years ... and has won at least one playoff game each year. I'd say he does fine under pressure. I mean, I don't remember anyone calling for Peyton's experiment to be over when he couldn't beat the Patriots .... :shifty: (yeah I'm not seriously comparing him to Manning .... just an odd similarity between the two)

I made this same point arguing with a friend about this game during the week...The Ravens-Steelers rivalry is quickly becoming reminiscent of the Pats-Colts in that every year, they compete, but one team always comes out on top. The Ravens will kick in the door within the next two years and beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

BTW, while Flacco isn't the best, remember: He's not Kyle Boller. Any talk of the Ravens getting rid of him after 3-4 years, after giving Boller chance after chance is ridiculous. He'll be there for a while.

The Eagles made a great call getting rid of McDermott. The dude wasn't ready to be a coordinator when JJ died, and it showed last year when the Cowboys ran all over us TWICE IN A ROW. I was all for giving him another year at that point, but after the horrific end to the season (extremely poor tackling, especially vs. the Vikings and Packers), it was time to go. I'd love to see them make a splash and hire Singletary, but they'll probably promote Dick Jauron. They signed him as a consultant, or assistant, or something last year when the Bills fired him, but now he's getting sniffs for DC positions, namely Cleveland, so Andy will promote him in order to keep him.

Anyone still watching the Aaron Rodgers show? Right now he's a ridiculous 28/33 for 337 yards and 3 touchdowns. Not to mention they've had absolutely no running game today. He's a beast.