UFC News and Discussion Thread

Foreign to us he means, surely.

Clearly. (Y)

In a U.S. based promotion (that consist of a majority of viewers who speak English) any language, no matter the location of the event, that is not English is going be considered foreign. It may be native for the fighters, but not for the promotion.

I daresay that the viewers who watch in French and Spanish and do not speak English would beg to differ, and I daresay the UFC who is trying to move in to as many different international markets as possible so that they (the UFC) could make as much money as possible and put on the best product possible, would again, beg to differ. Your comment was slightly short sighted and had an air of xenophobia my friend (Y)

• Like 1

Yeah, Rome is Burning. I saw it and assumed it was already news. He also said if Silva does that again he'll cut him and when Rome followed up to make sure he heard him correctly Dana White confirmed it.

strong words maybe too emotionally charged. Out of all the champions though i'm pretty sure it's him who is the weakest when it comes to PPV buys but would you risk losing your champion and one of the pound for pound best fighters in the world to a rival? I think Silva just needs fights that interest him. I like Chael, he's an interesting character and the trashtalk leading up to the fight will be good, do i think he has a chance? Tough to say i think he'll have to take him down and just grind a decision is the best way for him but there were some flaws in the Nate Marquardt fight

Guest Mr. Murray Head

Strong words from Dana that he'll never have to back up. Sonnen's enough of a hardhead that he'll rush in and play right into Silva's counter-striking game. Then he'll do it again. And again.

Dana won't cut Silva, he has too much to lose if he does. He might not be a PPV draw, but him walking right into Strikeforce's arms isn't good for the UFC, but I guess if Shields wins this weekend against Hendo, they can switch champions? :shifty: besides, doesn't Silva's manager also manage alot of other fighters, some also big names? I know he doesn't have the power to just pull them from competing for UFC, but I'm sure the fighters take his words into serious consideration.

also, i find it funny that "playboy" is offensive in a foreign language (sup richcotta)

Dana won't cut Silva, he has too much to lose if he does. He might not be a PPV draw, but him walking right into Strikeforce's arms isn't good for the UFC, but I guess if Shields wins this weekend against Hendo, they can switch champions? :shifty: besides, doesn't Silva's manager also manage alot of other fighters, some also big names? I know he doesn't have the power to just pull them from competing for UFC, but I'm sure the fighters take his words into serious consideration.

also, i find it funny that "playboy" is offensive in a foreign language (sup richcotta)

You're wrong, playboy :angry:

I don't think he would walk right in to Strikeforce's arms, I think he would leave MMA first, he's been talking about it on and off for at least a year :)

Frank Mir has said he would fight Anderson Silva even saying he'd go to a 235lb catchweight. I don't see why not put that fight on it'll be interesting to see. Frank's in the middle of the queue in the Heavyweight Division behind Cain and Dos Santos and it would be an interesting fight to see.

Also with Franklin/Liddell i'd rather see that then Ortiz/Liddell 3, as much as the trashtalk and that would be fun to watch. In an ideal situation Franklin wins and Liddell just goes on to fight Tito anyway.

Foreign to us he means, surely.

Clearly. (Y)

In a U.S. based promotion (that consist of a majority of viewers who speak English) any language, no matter the location of the event, that is not English is going be considered foreign. It may be native for the fighters, but not for the promotion.

I daresay that the viewers who watch in French and Spanish and do not speak English would beg to differ, and I daresay the UFC who is trying to move in to as many different international markets as possible so that they (the UFC) could make as much money as possible and put on the best product possible, would again, beg to differ. Your comment was slightly short sighted and had an air of xenophobia my friend (Y)

Xenophobia? Not the slightest. If it were a German based promotion then someplace such as China is going to be considered a foreign market, for example. It's the same thing here really. It wouldn't be considered "expansion into foreign market" if it were native to that local. Much like when they went after places such as Boston within the U.S. they referred to it as "domestic expansion".

Now in Boston (for example), since it is in the U.S. where the promotion is based and run, the native language isn't going to be Brazilian-Portuguese so is considered foreign to the base of the company.

Pride was based in Japan making English a foreign language to them.

Guest Mr. Murray Head

Except that all PRIDE's PA announcements were in Japanese *and* English :)

Edit: Actually, I was thinking of DREAM. PRIDE's may have been too though.

It's an American based company, show was in Brazil, other languages it was broadcast in was Spanish, and French I think reading over what MPH said..

He was speaking Brazilian, he's a dirty foreigner. :shifty:

It's an American based company, show was in Brazil, other languages it was broadcast in was Spanish, and French I think reading over what MPH said..

He was speaking Brazilian, he's a dirty foreigner. :shifty:

Abu Dhabi is not Brazil :rolleyes:

:angry: Giving MPH credit for what I said.

Oh and MPH, the announcements were in Japanese and English in Pride, the same lady with the amazing rolling R's was in Pride first :)

Oh and Kiniski, I daresay anything other than Arabic was "foreign" to the UAE nationals at 112 (Y)

• Like 1

I think cutting someone who didn't break any rules and has the longest winning streak in your company (And is a champion) is far more dangerous.

But I don't run an MMA fighting organization so what do I know?

I think cutting someone who didn't break any rules and has the longest winning streak in your company (And is a champion) is far more dangerous.

But I don't run an MMA fighting organization so what do I know?

Well, I'm sure if he actually did cut him, they'd work out another deal before his next fight. Not sure if they'd have to strip him of the belt or not though. I know it wouldn't be a good move, but neither is looking soft on guys who are as disrespectful as Silva was.

No, a PPV bonus.. if people know there's a chance you're going to do the showboating shtick you did at 112, people won't buy the PPV, and Silva gets a small paycheck.

Anderson Silva is paid by the amount of buys the shows he headlines receives. Most of the elite level UFC guys are.