UFC News and Discussion Thread

i want to see Arona but he's had a long layoff and it's just a question has he recovered from his injuries. I can't see him challenging for the title but he'll be an mid/upper tier fighter in the division

I'm not sure he'd be succesfull in the UFC with the unified rules and the cage. It's a huge difference from fighting in PRIDE.

it'll take time to adapt for sure but i think he could succeed over some of the current crop in the division

The commentary booth is the side of the cage though, pretty much where everyone sits... Does it even matter if he is there? Like I said I see Couture at most, and Liddell used to be at everyone.

Ah well, GSP is always there because he is awesome, lets just leave it at that :shifty:

• Like 2

Well fuck, Rampage should've went nuts and swinged for the fences after he had knocked Rashad down. It's the second fight in a row where Rashad's been tagged late in the third round, but survived 'cause his opponent didn't capitalize. First Thiago Silva and now Rampage. Oh well, the bright side is that Rashad will be in motherfucking trouble when he meets a guy who won't stop throwing after a succesful flurry... let's hope it'll be Shogun.

I'm actually looking forward to that fight it should be a fun fight. Pat Berrys a really good kickboxer and Cro Cop well doesn't need an explanation and hopefully this fight bring out the best in his standup. Someones getting headkicked tho :D

Cro Cop by submission shifty.gif

Should be a decent striking contest...as long as they willingly engage with each other. I can see Mirko laying back to try and sneak in that head kick as Barry is a real dangerous opponent for him at this point in his career.

As for Rashad, the guy has great conditioning and his natural reactions have improved greatly. His recovery was the type that if it had been stopped I'm not sure many would have complained, but since he has put so much time into his conditioning area he was able to grab and survive just enough to get through the slaughter. It isn't like Rampage didn't try to finish him because when Rashad wobbled Rampage swarmed.

I'd credit that to Rashad's reaction more than Rampage not capitalizing.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

What I want to know is who does French play-by-play, because the guy they showed with GSP at 113 didn't look familiar to me at all (kinda like Jacques Demers with more chins, actually), and Wiki's no help.

And now the reason I came in here: Dan Hardy's going to be on the card at UFC 120 in the UK, but they don't have an opponent for him yet. As I was bored, I took a look through some of the mid-to-upper level UFC welterweights that don't have an upcoming fight, and came up with a few interesting possibilities:

Matt Serra - Helped train Hardy for his fight with GSP, so it's unlikely they'd want to fight, but a match Hardy could probably win against a guy who still has name value, keeping in mind this will likely be the co-headline match.

Mike Pierce - Would not be an exciting fight, but Pierce impressed me in his loss to Fitch, and grinding out a win over Hardy could vault him into title contention...or Hardy could make the crowd happy by knocking Pierce out.

John Hathaway - If two Brits would be willing to fight each other, would get a lot of UK publicity, plus it would be an exciting fight which could prove Hathaway's worth as a fighter.

Paulo Thiago - Would be a quick turnaround given he fights Kampmann in June, but he seems to like fighting every 3-4 months. If he beats Kampmann, match could be hyped as a Thiago win gives him a shot at the GSP/Koscheck winner.

Jake Shields - If he signs with UFC and if he moves to welterweight, this matchup makes the most sense to me. Tons of exposure because the show will be on Spike, a 'proving match' so that he doesn't walk in and get a title shot, and a credible opponent. Probably my first choice.

I really hope Rich Franklin can win against Chuck Liddell. As much as I like Chuck, Rich is one of my favourite fighters and I would really enjoy seeing him work his way towards another title shot at either Middleweight or Light Heavyweight.

205 without a 185 chance at this point - or so it has been said. Franklin only went to 185 in the first place as a favor to Dana, he always wanted to fight at 205. Also, Dana has said Rich is done at 185 as long as Silva is fighting there full time so one would presume that he will finish his career out at 205, maybe 195 here or there.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

In news that made me go "huh?", Seth Petruzelli is back in UFC, fighting newcomer and star MLB pitcher Ricardo Romero on the UFC 116 undercard.