UFC News and Discussion Thread

Tell me who the fuck is ever going to stop Silva? Incredible. After a few minutes I was worried, then it just exploded, immense.

Enjoyed the show overall. Jones is the real deal, outstanding performance. I'd love to see him defeat Rua, should be a great fight. Also great to see Griffin back with a victory.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Tell me who the fuck is ever going to stop Silva? Incredible. After a few minutes I was worried, then it just exploded, immense.

Enjoyed the show overall. Jones is the real deal, outstanding performance. I'd love to see him defeat Rua, should be a great fight. Also great to see Griffin back with a victory.

Silva's entire gameplan rests on counter-striking. Find him an opponent who's just as unwilling to be the aggressor and anything could happen.

Silva's entire gameplan rests on counter-striking. Find him an opponent who's just as unwilling to be the aggressor and anything could happen.

25 minutes of circling. :shifty:

At 185, no one.

At 177 catchweight, GSP would probably be able to do enough to get a decision through point striking and wrestling.

Except it wont be a catch-weight, if (read:when) it happens, it will be at 185 (Silva will not be cutting that extra 7 pounds, he has to make a MAJOR cut down to 185) and it will mark GSPs cleaning out of the 170 class and permanent move to 185, if he is going to do it and be as effective he (as he has said himself) is going to have to build up his body size and make big lifestyle changes which means he will not be in a position to cut back down to 170.

I'm really happy to see Jones get a title shot. In my head I was thinking his next fight would be vs. Rampage and then if he won he gets the title fight, but this will be awesome. I'll be rooting for him.

I think it is a very deliberate business move by Dana, the Fertittas and Joe Silva, they could have put Rampage or Forrest in the fight, but they chose someone who will accept with less time to prepare, like Jones.

Maybe thats me being cynical, with them both being in the same camp, at least Rashad's trainers and tacticians can move straight across to Bones and get started quickly. Or maybe its because I want to see a fit Rua rematch Forrest <_<

I don't think GSP could beat Silva at 185, that extra weight is going to affect GSP's technique, speed and agility, which I think will give Silva the edge. I still think it will be tight and go 25 minutes regardless.

Wrestling won't save you if you get front-kicked on the chin... (not saying Anderson Silva will win btw... I just think it's a fight that could go both ways! Oh god, I sound like Goldberg & Rogan hyping up a UFC-event :-) ).

My thoughts on UFC 126:

- Anderson Silva is still a great fighter... In the first (as many touted as boring) minutes you could really feel the tension. Anything could happen at any time... don't blink! I like these kind of fights a lot more than the typical Chris Lyttle or Leonard Garcia-fights in which two guys kick each other 500+ times but you allready know after 2 minutes nobody is gonna knocked out... Fights like Silva-Belfort, Velasquez-Lesnar or Jones-Bader are the true fights of the night in my opinion...

- Jon Jones... wow. I thought he was the favorite but I expected a lot closer fight from Bader. Especially surprised that Jones was even dominating in the wrestling-aspect. Bader is a world-class wrestler but he looked like a high-school kid... I see Jones as a favorite against Rua, allthough Shogun has a lot more experience and perhaps could find some holes he can exploit...

- Also impressed with Kyle Kingsbury (that guy needs stronger competition) and Donald Cerrone.

- Miguel Torres... very strange that some of the former WEC-stars have fallen so low. Mike Thomas Brown... 2-4 in last 6 fights...ouch :-(. And now Miguel Angel Torres looking like... well, an average fighter. I hope at least Brian Bowles, Urijah Faber and Ben Henderson don't end up the same way.

- Japanese fighters in UFC: Both Omigawa and Yamamoto lost their debuts (or re-debuts). That's sad for Japanese MMA. I think the only Japanese guy to make it last years is Yushin Okami. I can see him fighting for the title (against St-Pierre, Silva or someone else if Silva vacates) in the rumored UFC event in Japan. Curious if this means the influx of other Japanese fighters will stall... Hioki, Kitaoka, Kikuno, Takaya, Miyata, Imanari, Otsuka... are all supposed to be top-10 guys...

- And the judging for Ellenberger-Rocha... no way Rocha won that last round, allthough I had it 29-28 for Rocha. Another example that the judging in MMA can improve.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Every time Silva's faced a strong wrestler he's been taken down and grinded to death. GSP will follow the same gameplan, but without slipping up like Henderson and Sonnen did.

Wait, Wait, when the fucker was Otsuka last considered anywhere near a top ten guy?

Given the dearth of talent in Japanese MMA, Hammy is considered the #7 p4p fighter in the country just because he wears shorts now and again.

• Like 5

Wait, Wait, when the fucker was Otsuka last considered anywhere near a top ten guy?

Given the dearth of talent in Japanese MMA, Hammy is considered the #7 p4p fighter in the country just because he wears shorts now and again.

Hamster-san :w00t:

I think Silva may weigh too much for GSP. I know GSP is going to try and put on the right kind of weight but it will be the first time I can think of that a high level fighter moves from 170 to 185 which I think will be a lot harder than going from 185 to 205.

I have a horrible feeling Silva will be too physically strong and it could be similar to when fighters were outclassed at 155 due to that being the lowest weight to fight in.

I get GSP has a great camp and will do the right things and all that crap. I just don't know if you can stack an extra 25 pounds onto someone who seems to be the right physical size and for it to translate to them being legit as skilled as at their natural weight. I get GSP probably walks around close to 200, my guess though is that Silva is cutting down from well above 205.

Rampage got offered the title shot against Rua before Jones but turned it down.

Makes sense as even Rampage has said he would be pretty much spending the whole training camp just trying to lose weight plus if he beats Thiago Silva he'll basically get the title shot anyway.

Also Rashad Evans has said he'll either drop to Middleweight or move to Heavyweight if Jon Jones wins the title

Kenny Florain is dropping to Featherweight.