UFC News and Discussion Thread

Sort of does away with the whole unifying the titles thing unless you somehow put the WEC title on the line. Would be very unlikely.

True but there weren't really unifying of the Welterweight, Middleweight titles when them two divisions were merged with the UFC. Matchmaking wise in terms of a fan that's what i'd like to see as we'd get a true contender and it'd be a meaningful fight.

But I think the only thing to do is an immediate rematch. Pettis will either be given a fight to keep him active or just be waiting on the sidelines depending on when the rematch would take place.

I was thinking why are there spoilers in a UFC thread? Forgetting the prelims, eugh, clarify next time, please?

I thought that's what the event discussion thread was? I remember we had the whole issue against this with the Super Bowl issue so stuff was supposed to stay out of the news threads and status updates now?

I think we've abandoned the event thread, and just stuck to spoiler free discussion in here, as long as it was aired. The prelim Izzy was talking about obviously was an unaired prelim.

I had scored the fight 47-47. Draw's are kinda lame, but you can't make an argument for either fighter to have won that fight.

Maynard 10-8

Edgar 10-9

Maynard 10-9

Edgar 10-9

Edgar 10-9

The rematch has to happen, no question. We need closure. Shame about Pettis and George having to step back in the pecking order, but that's MMA. Hopefully neither of them has a fluke loss in the next 6 months.

And Brandon Vera really sucks.

Also, hope I'm not the only person who wants Stann and Wanderlei to be the next TUF coaches.

Edited by damshow

Stann would make an awesome coach, he's the kind of guy that the any marketing department would love, a Silver Starred former Marine, a legit American hero, popularity wise, he could be the UFC's next major breakout star, regardless of his fight performance.

Really enjoyed the Edgar/Maynard fight. Great fight and I thought Edgar was going to get the win but I am fine with the draw as a couple of the rounds were close, so no problems there. I am now looking forward to the rematch, whenever that takes places, much more than I was looking forward to this fight as going in, I figured this to be a boring fight but came out really enjoying it.

Stann would make an awesome coach, he's the kind of guy that the any marketing department would love, a Silver Starred former Marine, a legit American hero, popularity wise, he could be the UFC's next major breakout star, regardless of his fight performance.

My friend described him as a pure babyface. Someone who the fans will rally behind if he gets the exposure. Almost like an American GSP, but surely without as much skill.

So according to middleeasy's sunday morning rumour mill, Dana White decided Pettis was gonna get his shot after all, then Pettis, who was ring/octagon side went backstage, found Dana and said he wanted to see Maynard and Edgar have a decisive rematch.

They need to turn it into an angle with Pettis claiming they are trying to duck him and claiming he is the real world's champion. Run both belts at the same time until the pay off match at Wrestlem...err I mean UFC 132.

My thought is that Edgar retains because of the draw. Edgar could probably walk through Pettis. Then Maynard vs. Edgar or Pettis vs. Maynard (with Edgar and George Sot having a contenders fight).

The rematch needs to happen but the WEC belt needs to go pronto. Otherwise you are holding up the whole WEC division (I don't think you can stick Henderson in with anyone legit in case it exposes WEC unless the belt has been unified).

I feel the most for G-Sot here, even if he beats Siver he will have to a top 5 contender to get his title shot still... won't happen til atleast 2012 IMO.

Since it applies here:

Chael Sonnen, an ultimate fighting champion and one-time candidate for a seat in Congress, has pleaded to a federal money laundering charge.A licensed Realtor from West Linn, Sonnen admitted before a judge Monday that he conducted a financial transaction designed to hide or disguise the ownership and control of proceeds of mortgage fraud, according to a U.S. Department of Justice press release.

The development is the latest during a rough stretch for Sonnen.

The UFC middleweight is suspended from fighting after reportedly testing positive for drugs in late 2010.

Sonnen had dropped out of the race for House District 37 last June citing a 2006 “legal issue” demanding his attention.

After he bowed out, the Republican party chose Julie Parrish, a political newcomer from West Linn, to replace Sonnen in the race against Democrat Will Rasmussen, a lawyer from West Linn. Parrish won election as House 37’s representative in November.

Marcus Williams, a special agent in charge of IRS criminal investigations for the Pacific Northwest, issued a public statement about Sonnen’s case.

“West Linn residents, and other residents throughout the Portland-Vancouver area, can rest assured knowing that federal law enforcement agencies take mortgage fraud very seriously because it played a major role in almost crippling this nation’s banking system just a few years ago,” he said.

Money laundering carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison and a $500,000 fine.

Sonnen’s sentencing is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. March 28

http://www.lakeoswegoreview.com/news/story.php?story_id=129410490911120000

Just one of the sources.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

He's also now claiming that the reason Keith Kizer claims he never talked to Sonnen is because he just doesn't want to violate doctor-patient confidentiality.