UFC News and Discussion Thread

I don't see why people get so pissy over cuts... I think they are a good thing, it gives the fighter a chance to go back to a lower level competition and then get the call up when they win a few fights

I am a fan of Harris so maybe that gets in the way, but provided it is on performance alone I don't see why he deserved to be cut. Yeah he fought a puzzling third round on the weekend, but he was still 3-1 having won by stoppage on all three occasions. The guy worked hard to get back to the UFC after TUF, so he just seems a bit stiff to get cut considering some of the other guys that hang around.

I can't help but think they are just trying to make an example of him.

I am a fan of Harris so maybe that gets in the way, but provided it is on performance alone I don't see why he deserved to be cut. Yeah he fought a puzzling third round on the weekend, but he was still 3-1 having won by stoppage on all three occasions. The guy worked hard to get back to the UFC after TUF, so he just seems a bit stiff to get cut considering some of the other guys that hang around.

I can't help but think they are just trying to make an example of him.

He really should have lost in the first round though... Bit stiff after just one loss, but Dana has said he wants exciting fighters who give it their all... I think Tyson Griffin was the one he picked out... starting to think Tyson might have some photos of Dana or something, coz he isn't the fighter he showed the potential to be

The time issue may have cost Harris his job. Had he lost in the first round he probably would have been given another prelim or UFN chance and worked his way up, but instead he put up three full rounds of nothing which soured him overall. Getting finished in the first might have faired better for him in the long run rather than taking up time and doing nothing, especially during that last round. Dana has openly said it's about the exciting fighters, not the ones that just stand there.

• 2 weeks later...

After the CSAC Hearing with Chael Sonnen (a fucked up one) his suspension went from 12 months to 6, he's already served 3 so he'll be back around March, just in time to train for Silva II.

EDIT: from BloodyElbow.com's coverage.

[7 p.m.] It's starting to sound like the commission will uphold some or all of the suspension based on Sonnen's lack of proper disclosure of his testosterone use. A commission member moves to uphold the suspension. The motion is seconded. The commission is unable to figure out how to vote. Apparently the vote is 2-2, so the motion fails? Now a motion is made to reduce the suspension by 6 months and maintain the $2,500 fine. That motion passes 3-1. I have no idea why the suspension was just reduced by 6 months. And that's the end of Sonnen's hearing.
Edited by Powerhart

He pretty much said that he didn't knew that it was frowned up on and that he needed it because his body produces an abnormally quantity of testosterone so he needed the substance. It was a pretty whacky hearing, his doctor looked like a hippie and was wearing a black t-shirt instead of a suit, the commision guys (barring one) had no clue about what was legal and what wasn't in the MMA rules and didn't even knew who Dana White was. I think BloodyElbow has the link to the UStream of the hearing, it was recorded there so maybe you can watch it there. It's worth it and was way more exciting than 119.

Here and here. That will explain it better than me.

I went to bed after that Horror Story guy won. Wait, did he win?

:shifty: I really like UFC but can't be fucked to download it because it doesn't feel the same when it's not live, and it's on too late over here. I can just about muster 4AM for RAW, but I'm not gonna stay up any later. That said, I'm glad Brookins won because he's been an absolute beast in TUF from what I've seen. There's always the danger in this sort of thing the wrong guy will win in the end. Also, yeah, the judges' decision. What the fuck? How can two judges score it 29-28 and then one score it 30-27 to the other guy? I think they should take away the round-by-round judging and just judge it on who's done the most damage in the fight, because somebody winning a fight on the basis of two coin flips over the expense of a guy who's absolutely raped one round is completely backwards.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I went to bed after that Horror Story guy won. Wait, did he win?

:shifty: I really like UFC but can't be fucked to download it because it doesn't feel the same when it's not live, and it's on too late over here. I can just about muster 4AM for RAW, but I'm not gonna stay up any later. That said, I'm glad Brookins won because he's been an absolute beast in TUF from what I've seen. There's always the danger in this sort of thing the wrong guy will win in the end. Also, yeah, the judges' decision. What the fuck? How can two judges score it 29-28 and then one score it 30-27 to the other guy? I think they should take away the round-by-round judging and just judge it on who's done the most damage in the fight, because somebody winning a fight on the basis of two coin flips over the expense of a guy who's absolutely raped one round is completely backwards.

Because two rounds were close and that's the way the system works :P

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Also why is everybody saying Leonard Garcia got tired because he took the fight on short notice? Wasn't he originally supposed to be facing Tyler Toner at this show anyhow?

Yeah he was already training for that fight, and besides, he almost always gets tired due to his reckless style out there.

Also, on the Phan/Garcia fight I don't get why this is getting "worst robbery ever" from people. It certainly was not the worst judging ever. I believe that goes to Hamill/Bisping where Hamill shouldv'e won. I had Phan winning, but I saw rounds 1 and 3 to be close enough that they could've gone either way, third round for sure could've gone either way. The only solid round for either guy was round 2 for Phan. But like Hamill, he won't be hurt from this loss on his record and probably got much more over from it anyways, so in a sense it helped him.

Edited by Fitzy