UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Apparently the Rock interview was taped in September and spliced in.

Good show for the most part, aside from a kinda dull main event. No interest in seeing a rematch on this end.

------------------------------------

MPH plays matchmaker time!

Penn/Fitch makes perfect sense and I thought of it last night before I knew it was official. If Penn wins, we know he's that good at welterweight. If Fitch wins, there's no way he can be denied another shot any longer.

Hughes is harder to find an opponent for, because he's not fighting for a paycheck anymore. If he was willing to take any fight I'd say Dan Hardy would be perfect...but maybe another DH, in Dennis Hallman? Hallman beat Hughes twice very early in both men's careers, vengeance for those losses might motivate Hughes, and Hallman's got a bit of momentum after beating a talentless Karo Parisyan last night...

Sotiropolous is fighting Dennis Siver, which...eh. I want to see him in title contention, maybe after beating Siver he gets a shot at the Florian/Dunham, or Edgar/Maynard loser?

Phil Davis needs to start facing some real competition to see where he stands in the pecking order. Not top guys, but guys who wouldn't normally be stuck in prelims. Matt Hamill maybe, if that's not too obviously the Jon Jones template. Stephan Bonnar would be a good one if he wins his next fight. UFC's 205 division was so good for so long that there's suddenly a wide chasm between the top guys and the curtain-jerkers.

Rampage...like I said, no interest in a rematch, but he doesn't deserve a title shot either. Maybe a rematch with Forrest Griffin, with the winner being in the title mix? Washed up as he is, would Couture go down to 205 to fight Rampage? Rampage vs. Rick Franklin?

Coming off two losses and a should-have-been-a-loss, maybe Machida winds up with the loser of the upcoming Thiago Silva/Brandon Vera fight? Or the loser of Jones/Bader?

I think UFC does a rematch between Rampage and Machida and this time Machida puts an effort in before the bell to begin the third round.

I'm not sure they know what to do with Sotiropoulos at the moment. He was very impressive against Stevenson, but he's pretty much taken three sideways steps (arguably backwards) since then to the extent that nobody really knows how good he is or whether he can match it with the top guys. I reckon he can, and it is frustrating to see him sort of stuck in limbo when he should be fighting for a title shot.

I like Siver and he's improved a lot, but it's a fight George should win and I'm not sure it does anything for him if he does.

He looked strong in round 3. That, or Rampage just looked like a washed up bum.

Boom. Even Liddell has more facets to his game at this point.

Lidell and Rampage have always basically been the same fighter, the only thing seperating them right now is that Lidell has added "get knocked the fuck out from a glancing blow" to his arsenal.

Hughes is harder to find an opponent for, because he's not fighting for a paycheck anymore. If he was willing to take any fight I'd say Dan Hardy would be perfect...but maybe another DH, in Dennis Hallman? Hallman beat Hughes twice very early in both men's careers, vengeance for those losses might motivate Hughes, and Hallman's got a bit of momentum after beating a talentless Karo Parisyan last night...

Rampage...like I said, no interest in a rematch, but he doesn't deserve a title shot either. Maybe a rematch with Forrest Griffin, with the winner being in the title mix? Washed up as he is, would Couture go down to 205 to fight Rampage? Rampage vs. Rick Franklin?

Dennis Hallman's agent has stated he won't take the fight, as it doesn't make sense. I'm inclined to agree. Hughes/Hardy would be fun though.

As for any Rampage/Machida rematch, I doubt you need to worry. Dana believes Rampage won the fight, so he said there will no immediate rematch. It's unfortunate, because I actually did enjoy the fight, and I had Machida winning, as most people did. In fact, Dana is the only person I've heard who thought Rampage won. It was a close fight, but I don't see how you can clearly give it to anyone but Machida. At worst, it should have been a draw.

I can't see how Rampage didn't win it? I had Rampage the clear winner of the first two rounds and the third was a 10-9.

I'm not a massive fan of Rampage but I think he's better than a washed up bum.

George S. needs to stop fighting lower tier fighters. You put any fighter against enough lower competitors and eventually one of them will get an upset. Seven wins in a row should earn anyone a shot against someone in contention.

I wouldn't exactly call Lauzon, Pellegrino, and Stevenson lower tier fighters. All are solid mid-level fighters, much like Sotiropoulos is right now. I wouldn't consider Sotiropoulos a top fighter, not yet anyways. Of his last three opponents that I listed, when the fight took place, the only one not exactly at Sotiropoulos' level would probably be Lauzon, but he earned it through exciting fights and was beating Sotiropoulos in the first round then got tired before round two began. But I don't really agree with Siver in this fight, it's a step back, but then again who really is there for him to fight? All the fighters in contention for the title are booked right now, so I guess this is fine for now. Like MPH said, after this fight they can easily match him up with Florian/Dunham winner or Edgar/Maynard loser.

Sotiropolous is fighting Dennis Siver, which...eh. I want to see him in title contention, maybe after beating Siver he gets a shot at the Florian/Dunham, or Edgar/Maynard loser?

Everyone keeps saying this for some reason, but this fight is in title contention so the comments make no sense. White said directly after Siver's UFC 122 victory that his win put him into title contention.

I don't know. I think I prefer the gatekeeper type role and fight rather than the new approach of having two prospects fight each other in an eliminator. I think if you have won 7 in a row you should be fighting in the top five, not still making your name.

From the outside looking in it seems like Sotiropoulos is facing the marketing issue. Casual fans started getting behind Siver after they saw his nasty spinning back kick finish. For some reason Sotiropoulos just isn't catching on like a fighter with is record should be. He can finish opponents but is missing some key element in exposure. My own thinking here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Siver/Sotiropoulos fight was to give the casual fans a chance to see Sotiropoulos possibly pick up a victory over an opponent with 'devastating striking' as they refer to his signature kick as. Strikers push the sport on the casual fan and I could see this being the fight to elevate him from mid tier to upper echelon with a victory.

That's how I am personally viewing the fight from a business standpoint. Outside of the marketing needed to build him up, I am 100% behind the idea that someone on a 7-0 streak deserves a title shot. Sadly he's racked up his wins seemingly under the radar and while he deserves a chance it would leave most non-hardcore viewers asking "who is this guy?".

I think the main reason for Sotiropoulos vs Siver (and not vs someone with a more well-known name) is simply that they absolutely want him to fight in Australia. Siver was probably the best guy available... and like someone said before: he's close to title contention too. If Sotiropoulos wins, they can still give him a n°1 contenders fight against one of the other top guys..., if Siver would win, they have a guy who can co-main-event in the next German card... (against a top-level opponent).

Btw: I read somewhere that Tyson Griffin can't make 145 anymore, but is also not fired... he's 0-3 in his last matches and lost against Nik Lentz (not really a title contender). So, what are they gonna do with him? Gatekeeper?? Also... who of the UFC lightweights cán make 145? (except the current champ that is)

I think the main reason for Sotiropoulos vs Siver (and not vs someone with a more well-known name) is simply that they absolutely want him to fight in Australia. Siver was probably the best guy available... and like someone said before: he's close to title contention too. If Sotiropoulos wins, they can still give him a n°1 contenders fight against one of the other top guys..., if Siver would win, they have a guy who can co-main-event in the next German card... (against a top-level opponent).

Btw: I read somewhere that Tyson Griffin can't make 145 anymore, but is also not fired... he's 0-3 in his last matches and lost against Nik Lentz (not really a title contender). So, what are they gonna do with him? Gatekeeper?? Also... who of the UFC lightweights cán make 145? (except the current champ that is)

Clay Guida with a haircut. :shifty:

• Like 4