UFC News and Discussion Thread

It is amazing how quickly some fighter lose it... I remember watching the 2008 year in review and Gonzaga was viewed as a potential dethroner to Lesnar's reign and now I would say he is very close to being cut.... that knock out kick to cro cop was amazing though.

Did Cro Cop actually offer to step in or is that sarcasm at the fact that he often steps in for people? I thought I read something that he is retired after that awful fight against Mir?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Those suspensions rarely last their full length.

I forget how long its been since UFC 90. A knee injury will ruin your career, I don't think Cote has much left thanks to it.

It pains me to say this about a countryman, but Cote was never a top-class fighter. He got a title shot because he racked up a winning streak in a weak division. He couldn't even beat Tito.

I know, but we're talking 4 months here.

I forget how long its been since UFC 90. A knee injury will ruin your career, I don't think Cote has much left thanks to it.

It pains me to say this about a countryman, but Cote was never a top-class fighter. He got a title shot because he racked up a winning streak in a weak division. He couldn't even beat Tito.

He's not your countryman, he's French. :shifty:

It's about time. A smart move too, bringing in two more belts to add to shows that don't get title fights is great. Also, when they eventually do Faber/Torres, they could probably make that a huge fight under the UFC.

Hearing the news about Aldo turning down a fight with Florian at 155 is weird though. That could've been an interesting fight.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I know, but we're talking 4 months here.

The suspensions are always "up to 6 months", aren't they?

Also, on the UFC/WEC thing, finally. It made no business sense for fighters on the Zuffa payroll to be getting the minimal WEC exposure when they could be under bright lights of UFC, not to mention it's hard to convince people to call your sport "ultimate fighting" when you own another company that doesn't.

This should help with UFC's occasional trouble putting together big matches - the Faber/Aldo/Henderson types could conceivably main event TV shows or co-main PPV shows at this point, another year or so and they'll be able to headline on their own. Plus the WEC guys put on amazing fights, and UFC fans seem to be in a period of booing anything that isn't at the level of Leben/Akiyama these days, so this will help put a stop to that.

Just a great, great move.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I wonder if we will get Henderson/Pettis winner vs. the winner of Edgar/Maynard in a unification bout or if they will just ignore the title like they did when Condit was brought into the UFC.

Meltzer's reporting exactly your first scenario.

Also Aldo will fight on the Jan. 1 card.