UFC News and Discussion Thread

Was really fun being there, just a shame that the prelims were a mile better than the main card, outside of the last two matches really.

James Wilkes is useless.

It was a shame Hathaway didn't get going in his fight, but meh.

Carlos Condit/Hardy was shaping up to be a good fight, but it was a good KO. I also tipped Condit for the win.

I didn't really mind who won the main event, and Bisping fought the clever fight. I thought it was closer than 30-27, but Akiyama, whilst hitting the better shots personally for long periods, wasn't hitting him often enough.

From MiddleEasy.com, part of their Sunday Rumor Mill's entries:

• This really isn't that much of a shocker considering Dana White made UFC the 'unstoppable frate trane' that it is, but in getting the sport legalized/authorized in other parts of the world, Dana White (or more likely a collection of people) attempted to push something they've coined (and are in the process of trademarking) as 'UFC combative sports'. This would distinguish the UFC from 'MMA' and essentially greenlight 'UFC combative sports' under the UFC/ZUFFA banner in parts of the world where other MMA organizations can't host events. Some of you may be confused and granted, I'm not doing a great job explaining this, but in short, ZUFFA is trying to distinguish UFC from MMA and get 'UFC combative sports' legalized in certain local governments while 'MMA' would still be 'illegal'. Great business tactic if you want to dominate the sport. I'm sure I will receive a 'cease and desist' notification sometime this week regarding this 'rumor', so read it while you can.

• Yoshihiro Akiyama will not be cut from the UFC, despite some premature reports.

Edited by Powerhart

Akiyama should really drop to 170lbs and actually use a gameplan instead of just stand and get hit and throw wild haymakers.

If James Wilks doesnt get cut then that will be pretty shocking he's pretty poor, probably the worst TUF winner.

Condit wants the winner of Shields/Kampmann and either a fight against either of them would be good to see, he's also said he'd happily fight GSP.

Bisping also supposedly wants his rematch with Wanderlei (Still) suggested the pair of them coach on TUF which wouldnt be a bad idea as I thought Bisping was a good coach the last time and from videos i've seen of Wanderlei he'd be pretty suited as well. Can hype the fight up as well but I'd rather see Chael Sonnen/Bisping on TUF that would be pretty amazing.

Michael Bisping is extremely talented and only improving on his skills.

That's the good news.

The bad news is, he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes at all, because his weaknesses are exactly the same as they've been for a couple of years now, and they're not getting any less obvious.

That being said, he's going to sell a lot of tickets in the UK, and he's going to put on exciting fights... but he's never going to be a champion unless he starts focusing more on the things he's doing wrong, as opposed to improving on the things he's already doing right.

• Like 2

..Aaaannndddd here we go again:

An Oahu-based mixed martial arts fighter is scheduled to appear before a judge next month after he crashed his truck on the H1 Freeway while allegedly driving under the influence.

Officers arrested Christian Leben, 30, a middleweight fighter known as the Crippler, on suspicion of operating a vehicle under the influence of an intoxicant Tuesday. He was released from custody after posting $1,000 bail.

Police say Leben was driving on the west-bound side of the H1 Freeway just before 2 AM, when he lost control of his pickup and crashed into a wall near the Kapiolani Boulevard off ramp. He was allegedly driving without a license and without insurance.

He is scheduled to appear at Honolulu District Court November 22.

Source: Sherdog

We've seen how this road goes before so hopefully it isn't a falling off the bandwagon. I'll never support driving under the influence, but hopefully this was just a one off incident without all of the details out yet. He's got a good thing going for him right now.

Mugshot doesn't really look all that jacked up though:

13360745_BG1.JPG

Edited by Gene Kiniski

I just saw Brock on Jim Rome is Burning, and the final question had to do with Sonnen's comments about Brock's tat and how he would slap him in the face and Brock wouldn't do anything about it. I'm paraphrasing the last bit here,

Rome: "So Brock what are your thoughts about Sonnen's comments?"

*Brock looks confused*

Brock: "I'm sorry, I don't know who that is."

Rome *laughs*: "Chael Sonnen, he's a fighter*

*Brock again looks confused so they show a clip of Sonnen cutting that promo*

Rome: "That guy, you haven't seen him?"

Brock: "No I'm sorry, I have no idea who that is."

*Rome starts laughing again*

Rome: "OK, I guess that about sums it up."

I don't know if Brock was being honest or not, but either way that bit was hilarious.

Edited by naiwf
  • Like 1

I wish I didn't know who Chael Sonnen is....

Sonnen and Michael Bisping are two fighters I can't stand because of their mouths. Sonnen is full of shit and Bisping trash talks more than he should.

So how long will Chris Leben get suspended for this time?

So how long will Chris Leben get suspended for this time?

I'm betting that he won't. First he was arrested on 'suspicion' of DUI, but no one is reporting what the supposed intoxicant was. From reading it seems the bigger issue is/was the lack of insurance and drivers license (and possible street racing).

Go back to Rampage's highly media blasted incident and this seems like a blip, at most, on the radar.

Sonnen and Michael Bisping are two fighters I can't stand because of their mouths. Sonnen is full of shit and Bisping trash talks more than he should.

I'm not a huge fan of Bisping or anything, but I do find it funny that a lot of people (US fans especially) dislike him for talking trash, when all he does is basically what every other fighter does in the lead up to fights.

But he was in Team US vs Team UK, and he said bad things about the Yanks, boohoo :shifty:

• Like 2

I'm not a huge fan of Bisping or anything, but I do find it funny that a lot of people (US fans especially) dislike him for talking trash, when all he does is basically what every other fighter does in the lead up to fights.

But he was in Team US vs Team UK, and he said bad things about the Yanks, boohoo :shifty:

I'm Canadian and I dislike him. Not so much for "trash talking", but because he talks about himself like he doesn't see what everybody else does. After his last fight he said that he hoped a title shot was on the way soon. Seriously? The guy who keeps walking into big right bombs from guys who are known to have them, wants a title fight? His skills keep getting better, and he is most definitely a hard worker... but that being said, it seems like he's completely ignoring the facets of his game that NEED the work, and instead just choosing to increase what he's already good at.

Michael Bisping is to the UFC what the Toronto Maple Leafs are to the NHL right now. Talented, skilled and hard working... but talk about being a Champion is just plain ridiculous.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Figured this deserved it's own thread because well it's Brock.

Should be a really good show tonight, even if I don't know how the main event's going to go (my pick for EddieG's thing was Cain in the fourth round by KO, but like the Carwin fight I could see just about anything happening here).

Sanchez/Thiago should be exciting, as should Schaub/Gonzaga and quite a few of the prelims. Ortiz/Hamill and Shields/Kampmann maybe not the most exciting fights, but the crowd should be jacked up anyhow.